Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Steven Reid

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,679 Posts
    That's the quantitative analysis! My own amateur qualitative analysis would be that he tried a few long balls that were a bit hit and miss (aren't long balls always?) and mainly his passing was very conservative, out wide to Bentley or his full back. Nothing wrong with bringing others into play mind you.

One important thing is that unlike O'Shea or Kilbane he protects the ball like a natural midfielder, i.e., if he's given a pass under pressure he'll turn away from trouble or lay it off immediately.

Can we change the thread title to "Steven Reid"? The incorrect spelling is annoying me!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    Passing stats from yesterdays game.

Reid
    Atempted Passes - 44
    Succesful Passes - 38
    Success Rate - 86%

Dunn
    Atempted Passes - 36
    Succesful Passes - 31
    Success Rate - 86%

Pedersen
    Atempted Passes - 37
    Succesful Passes - 19
    Success Rate - 51%

Bentley
    Atempted Passes - 19
    Succesful Passes - 12
    Success Rate - 63%

His overall pass success rate so far this season is 84% which is a huge percentage. He's certainly won me over for a central midfield slot with Carsley on the bench. It's a very good sign if Steven Reid was to be our least creative player in the team.
    It's S Reid AND Carsley for me....

-----S. Reid----Carsley---

-Keane----Ireland----Duff-

-----------Doyle----------
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    His overall pass success rate so far this season is 84% which is a huge percentage. He's certainly won me over for a central midfield slot with Carsley on the bench. It's a very good sign if Steven Reid was to be our least creative player in the team
    there is nothing creative or impressive with a high success rate if he is passing the ball backwards or sideways all game. Stats can be deceiving!!
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    there is nothing creative or impressive with a high success rate if he is passing the ball backwards or sideways all game. Stats can be deceiving!!
    Well I kinda guessed that the vast majority of his passes were short with a success rate that high. There's more to it though. Blackburn won away from home and had the majority of possession with Reid playing deep in an attacking midfield. Fair enough it's only Bolton but it was still a strong enough midfield they put out.

It's just that I never really would have considered Reid a holding midfielder. I always had niggling doubts in my head whether he could play in central midfield alongside Reid or if they'd need Carsley in beside them. I'm pretty confident it would work now though.
    Last edited by eirebhoy; 14/01/2008 at 8:35 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    It's just that I never really would have considered Reid a holding midfielder. I always had niggling doubts in my head whether he could play in central midfield alongside Reid or if they'd need Carsley in beside them. I'm pretty confident it would work now though.
    Oh oh I can see that debate starting off again

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    I thought Reid did well enough, but as mentioned here he was very conservative with the exception of a few unsuccessful long balls.

That was one of the ugliest matches I've seen all season- I was very tempted to turn it off but had nothing better to do.

Reid looks useful enough but he seems quite limited going forward- more limited than I remembered him being.

It may be a case of not being fully match fit yet, or not fully recovered from injury, but if he is fully recovered and this is all we've got, he's gone from a box-to-box midfielder to what is basically a faster Lee Carsley.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,679 Posts
    I got the impression he was playing within himself, maybe under orders to stay deeper.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    Reid looks useful enough but he seems quite limited going forward- more limited than I remembered him being.
    It may be a case of not being fully match fit yet, or not fully recovered from injury, but if he is fully recovered and this is all we've got, he's gone from a box-to-box midfielder to what is basically a faster Lee Carsley.
    A faster Lee Carsley
    we could use that to good effect though.

Credit to him for being able to get back out there with the first team.
    By the time it will take him to get match fit and a fully fit body he will get injured again.
    During the time he is fit, Andy Reid will be injured.
    Anyone talking of a Reid Reid CM is in a cloud cuckoo land.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Anyone talking of a Reid Reid CM is in a cloud cuckoo land.
    a Reid Reid CM should be the future of the Irish team , sadly they are two feckin sicknotes and we may never get the chance to pair them regularly
    Was he crazy!! Yeah , in a very special way , an Irishman.
    I slept, and dreamed that life was Beauty;
    I woke, and found that life was Duty.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I got the impression he was playing within himself, maybe under orders to stay deeper.

He's been playing within himself for the last few years IMO.. He seems too bound by tactical responsibilities and the fear of messing up at this level... I remember watching him for Ireland and Millwall (obv on tele) in his early days when he was just let of his leash and was quality. I seen it only occasionaly for Blackburn the season before last during his good run but all in too conservative. I'd like to see a game with Blackburn 3 nil down with 30 minutes to go and have him just say "f'ck it", and go hell for leather and let his natural game take over. He has all the attributes to be a poor mans Gerrard..

www.thefastleague.com

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,679 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_peepee View Post
    He has all the attributes to be a poor mans Gerrard..
    I've always thought he's Gerrard without the self-belief.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    or the hollywood passes...
    'How can I hate women, my Mums one!!!' Chris Finch

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I watched the 2nd half tonight and really liked the look of Reid. His distribution wasn't great but his positional sense and movement was fantastic. I don't know if so long watching on from the sidelines has helped him in that regard but he was always moving into positions to receive a pass. He looked really confident too and was constantly putting his hands out for a pass.

I'm really excited about this bunch of players now. We could play some superb football with Steven, Andy Reid, Ireland, Duff, McGeady and Keane linking up.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,679 Posts
    I was embarassed for Reid (and his teammates too in fairness) in the first 15 minutes tonight but thereafter I thought he was superb. Blackburn really took on Arsenal at their own game tonight and just didn't have the quality upfront to make all their possession count. Reid's composure on the ball was a major part of their strong showing.

He rarely tried anything flash but was regularly on the ball and made a lot of passes, always bringing his team mates into play. He protected the ball well, was aware of whether he had time or not and rarely turned into trouble. He has the mobility to get around the pitch too. He looked far more convincing than Gilberto for example.

Very encouraging, concur totally with eirebhoy.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm really excited about this bunch of players now. We could play some superb football with Steven, Andy Reid, Ireland, Duff, McGeady and Keane linking up.
    Absolutely. I have always been excited about a McGeady, S Reid, A Reid, Duff midfield combination, problem is only McGeady in this four can play a few games in a row without ending up on the treatment table.

If we are to qualify then these four need to play most of the games, I dont think the backup players are up to it.
    'I can't even remember when the Seventies was.' - ROBBIE KEANE

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Didnt see the game but good to hear. The guy is only just back from injury a few weeks so really expected it to take him a good while to get back upto speed. Hopefully if he has an injury free run till the end of the season, he'll be in top form by the time the qualifiers come around.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RivaldoBabb View Post
    Absolutely. I have always been excited about a McGeady, S Reid, A Reid, Duff midfield combination, problem is only McGeady in this four can play a few games in a row without ending up on the treatment table.

If we are to qualify then these four need to play most of the games, I dont think the backup players are up to it.
    I can't wait to see them together too.. I still think we'd need a fifth midfeilder with them four though...

www.thefastleague.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_peepee View Post
    I can't wait to see them together too.. I still think we'd need a fifth midfeilder with them four though...

Ditto, I think Carsley prob has one more campaign in him so he could anchor that midfield and let the more creative lads to their stuff...
    "Well I think they'll be a little disappointed with that" - Matt Holland on TV3 after 5-2 drubbing by Cyprus

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I really think the 2 Reid's would make an excellent partnership with no need for Carsley. They're both intelligent players who'll know what positions to hold on the pitch. Andy Reid got a bit angry when his fitness was questioned again recently.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    I really think the 2 Reid's would make an excellent partnership with no need for Carsley. They're both intelligent players who'll know what positions to hold on the pitch. Andy Reid got a bit angry when his fitness was questioned again recently.
    I agree, Carsley should only be used as a last resort. I'd rather give Garvan a chance than the balded one if I'm being honest.

Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast