Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Steven Reid

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Giles tends to compare midfielders to his standards. Unfortunately none of our CMs are built as strong as a brick shíthouse, have ambipedlar ability, tackle like a bulldozer, can excel at both attacking and defending, or could stroke the ball 50m to land purposefully on the 10th blade of grass in from the touchline. Despite the fact that players cover twice as much ground as players did in his day, Giles thinks every player should be able to play weekly, along with a game midweek. Susceptibility to injury or needing recovery time is not a consideration.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Alright lads, fair enough

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    There is some real nonsense on this thread. Trapatonni was the person who brought Reid's Ireland career into question not the player himself. Steven Reid on his injury post Trapatonni's comments. Reid said: 'I couldn't really believe what I was hearing. The cartilage isn't gone. It's fine. In fact, the surgery's been a total success. The rehabilitation was always going to take nine or 10 months and I've done everything by the book.
    'I've actually played six or seven games in the last two months, four or five with the reserves as well as our Carling Cup matches against Gillingham and Nottingham Forest. And I haven't had a problem with the knee. Unfortunately, I've just had a couple of niggly issues, first with a hamstring, and now this Achilles.
    'The comments amazed me. I'm more positive now about my fitness than I've been in a long time. I'd just like the supporters to know I'm feeling great and looking forward to getting back playing in another week or so.' People were writing off Duff on here a couple of weeks back (again based on the Trapatonni's ill-informed comments). Reid just played a full 90 mins with no problems. We have a spate of real injuries and Reid should be recalled.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelys Guitar View Post
    There is some real nonsense on this thread. Trapatonni was the person who brought Reid's Ireland career into question not the player himself. Steven Reid on his injury post Trapatonni's comments. Reid said: 'I couldn't really believe what I was hearing. The cartilage isn't gone. It's fine. In fact, the surgery's been a total success. The rehabilitation was always going to take nine or 10 months and I've done everything by the book.
    'I've actually played six or seven games in the last two months, four or five with the reserves as well as our Carling Cup matches against Gillingham and Nottingham Forest. And I haven't had a problem with the knee. Unfortunately, I've just had a couple of niggly issues, first with a hamstring, and now this Achilles.
    'The comments amazed me. I'm more positive now about my fitness than I've been in a long time. I'd just like the supporters to know I'm feeling great and looking forward to getting back playing in another week or so.' People were writing off Duff on here a couple of weeks back (again based on the Trapatonni's ill-informed comments). Reid just played a full 90 mins with no problems. We have a spate of real injuries and Reid should be recalled.
    Hear, hear

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelys Guitar View Post
    Is it too obvious to say 'Reid is retired' at this point?

Look I'd love to see him back, but the idea he retired because Trap hurt his feelings is ridiculous. He made that decision himself, probably to concentrate on regaining and maintaining club fitness.

If he's feels fully fit (and it appears so) great, but it's still his responsibility to inform management that he wants to be considered for selection. A 'maybe I would in an emergency' style answer isn't going to cut it for me.

We don't have a lack of options at central midfield or right back. We have a shortage of quality at centre mid, but we do have several emerging options. All those options have made it unequivocally clear they are available to play for Ireland. Reid can do the same, if he wishes.

If there was an injury crisis, then maybe management should make the call. But until then, I think it has to come from the player. Managers should focus on picking those who definitely want to be picked.

Should he become available, then welcome back. But would he warrant a place at centre mid? Has he played there much (or at all) for West Brom? Reid, on his day at CM, would be a shoe-in but are we sure he can do the job? Seems like it'd be a bit of punt, though I'm not intrinsically against going for it. Wouldn't have him as a right back, would rather have Foley, Coleman or even Kelly given a run there.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

8. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,695 Posts
    I kind of agree SvD, but at the same time a pro-active call from Trap or Tardelli along the lines of "the group is entering a critical stage, would you like to be involved?" would be a pretty easy and wise thing to do, and in Reid's case I think dialogue should be ongoing. I honestly think a special case for Reid could be made for calling him up for the finals or the play-offs (if we manage it - big if) given how defendable his decision to retire was. Totally different to Stephen Fruitcake.

However, if young McCarthy shows up then it's much of a muchness. Reid AND McCarthy could be tasty though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I kind of agree SvD, but at the same time a pro-active call from Trap or Tardelli along the lines of "the group is entering a critical stage, would you like to be involved?" would be a pretty easy and wise thing to do, and in Reid's case I think dialogue should be ongoing. I honestly think a special case for Reid could be made for calling him up for the finals or the play-offs (if we manage it - big if) given how defendable his decision to retire was. Totally different to Stephen Fruitcake.

However, if young McCarthy shows up then it's much of a muchness. Reid AND McCarthy could be tasty though.
    His retirement is certainly defendable and Reid was a great servant considering the toll international football has taken on his career. I certainly wouldn't blame him whatever decision he made. Perhaps a subtle feeling out of things wouldn't be amiss, especially coming to the end of the campaign. Still others, like Lee Carsley, were happy to reaffirm a commitment and I don't see why Reid can't do the same if he really wanted to return.

Suppose my overall feeling is Trap should be looking at the options already there, like McCarthy. The fact he chooses neither is what's frustrating.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,635 Posts
    just scored a thumping header from a corner against Arsenal. 3 minutes in. Great header. West Brom v Arsenal, the game of choice in Canada this morning.

12. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts
    Reid just scored his first Premier League goal in almost 5 years - a header against Arsenal in the first 5 minutes.
    "There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the fault of his feet" - Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Reid and McCarthy in midfield......*daydreams*

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Is he playing in midfield or at right back today? And how is he playing?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,315 Posts
    Right full according to Sky Sports
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    There's a short piece on Reid in The Weekly News (the grandmother gets it!). He says ("jokes" it actually says) that he thinks that at 30 his days marauding in midfield are behind him and he's settled into playing right-back. Doesn't mention Ireland but he says he's just happy to be playing every week now.

Personally I'd love to see him back but it sounds like he's content right now. That said, with Paul Green out for a lengthy spell, does that qualify as the emergency needed to bring Reid back?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,635 Posts
    off after 45mins with injury. Not sure what ii was but he walked off himself no bother.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Great block from Reidy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,635 Posts
    he's having a good game. Id love to see him back in the Irish squad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Me too. But let's not start that war.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,635 Posts
    I havent the time or resources for another war anyway. This defense of Robbie Keane is taking its toll. Some say its unwinnable, some say why even bother but I say I cant stand by and watch these atrocities occur...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Well, we're all behind you

Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast