Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 14 of 37 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Steven Reid

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Delighted to see comments like that from him. I had a nagging fear in the back of my mind that he would decide because of all the injuries he would retire from international football, and I dont think many could have disagreed with him if he did make that decision.Great to see such eagerness to get back into contention for a place in the squad
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by richieos View Post
    wants to be involved in Italy game:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...563536,00.html
    If ever a player deserved some luck and some time injury free it must be Stephen. It is great to hear that a player that has had so many injuries is so keen to get back playing for his country. The man is a credit to his family, club and country

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Yeah always liked Stephen Reid. He is going to have little injuries here and there esp with hamstrings while coming back. Its all part of returning from a knee injury.
    In Trap we trust

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Delighted to see comments like that from him. I had a nagging fear in the back of my mind that he would decide because of all the injuries he would retire from international football
    yeah... It's probbly the opposite in his case. Absence might have given him a sense of perspective on how short or fragile a career in football is, so he's out to make the most of it for club and country.
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts
    ""Hopefully I will get the call to come into the squad for the Italy game, but I need to get a couple of games for Blackburn first.""

Great to hear, I can think of nobody I'd rather called up on the squad than him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Blackburn is definitely thinking, oh Jeez.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    of course they are, the guy has been injured for a long time. They are not a charity. Footballers are on big money they would be stupid to hand out a contract to him at the moment.
    In Trap we trust

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Of course he is no use if he is not playing for his club but I'd assume at least Blackburn fc have their players insured.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I am sure they do but no insurance will cover a player how is injured when you sign the new contract. The insurance will cover this one as when he signed the contract he was not injured but if they offered him one now, they either would not get the insurance or the premium would be sky high.
    In Trap we trust

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts
    It's actually interesting how Steven Reid has now become is perceived to be a "key" player for Ireland when he's only played very well in 2 games for us.

Under McCarthy he was a youngster who was up and coming and seemed like a top prospect.

Under Kerr he never really figured until the very, very end of the campaign when he was drafted in to try and save our chances from the bench.

Stan tried to give him a major role but some of his performances in the early days were quite poor for us, I remember the guy captaining us in that horrific defeat to Holland. Then the injuries started so he didn't have much more to do under stan.

Trap gave him another chance and arguably used him much better and the two competitive games he played were far and away his best performances in the green, both worthy of MOM showings if RTE weren't obsessed with newboy Whelan.

Still though it's fascinating how in 8 years he's still only racked up 22 caps and this is probably the first time in his career where he has a starting place on the irish team likely.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Interesting you say that Murfinator, and to a large extent you're corrrect in my opinion.

I first saw Reid in the flesh in 2001 when I went down to Millwall to see him & Richard sadlier play. He played on the right that day and played well. I next saw him play on TV for Millwall against Southampton in the FA Cup. Saints were a EPL team at the time. Reid played CM and was superb. It was only then that I learnt that this was his preferred position.

He was really only ever played on the right for Ireland under Mick. He scored on his debut I think, against Russia. A few years later, under Kerr, he also played against russia in the 1-1 home draw where a win was vital for a play off spot. He was really poor & he and Carr showed no understanding on the right at all. Betwen them, Mick & Kerr only played Reid on the right and he rarely impressed.

Eraly in Stan's reign Robson said he saw Reid & O'Shea as the future Ireland midfield. He played CM, as captain, against Holland and had a poor game. We then went to Stuttgart and where was he played? On the right, Kilbane partnering JOS in the middle. CM was crap and Reid was peripheral all game. I met him in the airport the following morning and he looked miserable.

A couple of yeras later I saw him for Blackburn at Arsenal in a game Arsenal won 3-0, but Blackburn had a lot of the game. Reid had given up his "box-to-box" role and played more as a sitting midfielder. He was superb. Composed & aware on the ball, long & short crisp accurate passing, always looking for it from the back. I posted here how impressed I was.

For a few years now I've felt that Reid had the physical attributes required to solve our "midget" crisis in midfield, not to mention the pedigree. I think way back in '05 I said that Reid & Reid was my preferred midfield and was met with a lot of derision!

The sad thing is, as you say, he has rarely impressed for us, but like Delap he has only ever been played out of position for us. Yes he was poor against Holland, but it was August & he was promoted to captain. When was his next game for us in CM? I don't think it was under Stan, maybe Norway away?

I actually think Reid has cobnfidence issues. He struggled to settle at Blackburn - a combination of being played right back and injury meaning it took him ages to settle, if indeed he ever really has. His sporadic form for Ireland is matched by his club career -different positions and long injury breaks have punctuated his career at all levels.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 17/09/2009 at 1:48 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    After losing that game to Chile, over 3 years ago,
    Robson said about Reid.

Robson also revealed he sees Steven Reid’s Irish future as being alongside the Manchester United man in the middle of the park. He had high praise for the Blackburn midfielder.
    “He played in three positions the other night but I would say his best position is in the midfield with O’Shea. He’s got such a shot on him and he’ll get that shot in on goal more if plays orthodox midfield rather than wide on the right or at full back. He’s such a good player coming onto the edge of the box, picking up ball off the strikers and hitting 25-yarders. Remember Bobby Charlton? Steven has that explosive shot.”
    Last edited by geysir; 17/09/2009 at 2:18 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    yeah his best run for us was probably this time last year. Norway, Georgia and Montenegro all away and he was superb in all 3 games. Away to Montengro was our best midfield performance in a long time I thought, and I thought Montenegro were very good that night.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts

my post

i think if we get reid fit we have an excelent chance of winning in the play offs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acornvilla View Post
    i think if we get reid fit we have an excelent chance of winning in the play offs

i agreed - a big player for us in the middle of the park - might play some football .....

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Almost 30mins gone V Notts Forest and still on pitch. Lets keep the fingers crossed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    playing centre mid too, none of this full back rubbish
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Got 75 mins tonight, hopefully he wont have picked up any injury. Seemed like a quiet enough shift for him.
    "I'm just a chilled out entertainer"

Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Not that quiet, apparently he gave away a bad penalty with 20 mins to go!
    Great to see his fitness was ok though, will be interesting to see if he's risked in the squad on Friday. I'd leave him out and not take any chances, if Bulgaria had have beaten Italy I'd include him but I don't think it'd be worth it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jicked View Post
    Not that quiet, apparently he gave away a bad penalty with 20 mins to go!
    Great to see his fitness was ok though, will be interesting to see if he's risked in the squad on Friday. I'd leave him out and not take any chances, if Bulgaria had have beaten Italy I'd include him but I don't think it'd be worth it.
    I thought it was a very harsh penalty.

Page 14 of 37 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast