Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Steven Reid

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    The rules were changed maybe 18months ago? There had been lots of controversy over teams changing their whole team and making the games meaningless... I think it was after an England game that it came to a head.

So they limited it to 6 subs max.
    Fair enough. Didn't know that. Thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Just found this:

http://www.comeonboro.com/matches/080914166.php

Blackburn's injured midfielder Steven Reid is using the lure of next year's World Cup in South Africa to help him in his rehabilitation.

In September the 28-year-old was ruled out for the season with a cruciate knee ligament problem but after surgery he is now well on the road to recovery. The Republic of Ireland star played at the 2002 World Cup in Japan and South Korea and hopes his international team-mates can keep the dream alive in this campaign long enough for him to rejoin the fight to secure qualification.

Giovanni Trapattoni's side face Bulgaria and Italy over the next few days and Reid is naturally eager for them to do well. "He (Trapattoni) has let me know I have a big part to play in the squad," said Reid. "There are two important games coming up and there is no reason why we can't qualify for the World Cup in 2010.

"I have been lucky enough playing in a World Cup six years ago in Japan and hopefully we can get there again next year and I can play a big part.

"There are a couple of things to aim for and that has been a huge factor in helping me through some pretty tough moments.

"I just have to make sure I get the knee back to how it should be and then hopefully Premier League football next year, and a World Cup would just cap it all off."

Reid has missed virtually two full seasons in the last three years as a stress fracture of the back and a cruciate knee ligament kept him out of most of the 2006/07 campaign.

But after a successful operation in America on his troublesome knee the combative midfielder is looking forward to returning at the start of next season.

"It is going well. I am four months in now and two weeks ago I went back over to see the surgeon and he is happy with it and it looks in good shape," he told the Lancashire Telegraph.

"I just have to build it up a little bit and I am still on target for pre-season. (Wo Hoo!)

"My latest meeting with the surgeon was a boost, a little bit of light again, and hopefully there are a few more days like that to come."

He will be needed!!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Good news but wont be back for the Bulgaria away game though by the looks of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    if we get a win or a draw in bulgaria it will be great to have him back for the new season.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Can't get ahead of ourselves as our focus has to be solely on Bulgaria away - but having the option of match fit Stephen Reid away in Cyprus would be great boost.
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,339 Posts
    Reid set to be fit for the start of the new season: http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=c...r-men&Itemid=8
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Reid set to be fit for the start of the new season: http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=c...r-men&Itemid=8
    Fantastic news
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    He should take it longer than that, he should come back when he's at 100%, not 95%.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Thats excellent news if he is back, Himself and Whelan had the makings of a very promising central partnership.
    "I'm just a chilled out entertainer"

Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by centre mid View Post
    Thats excellent news if he is back, Himself and Whelan had the makings of a very promising central partnership.
    Glenn Whelan has played brilliantly but I reckon that Reid and Andrews would be a better partnership, they offer more going forward
    You show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    100 Posts
    Reid and Fahey in the centre anyone?
    You've got no fans.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    I'm amazed at the number of people calling for Fahey in their midfield. Let's wait and see how he fares in the PL first. His impact in the Championship was promising but far from compelling. Talented or not, he is a fair bit down the order still.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I'm amazed at the number of people calling for Fahey in their midfield. Let's wait and see how he fares in the PL first. His impact in the Championship was promising but far from compelling. Talented or not, he is a fair bit down the order still.
    I agree Stutts. I see McCann as an option next season also though nowhere near as many people seem to mention his name even though he's more Trap's style of midfielder (big, strong, athletic and good defensively).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    IDK but I think Irish people are scared of creative players must be all that english football maby.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishultra View Post
    IDK but I think Irish people are scared of creative players must be all that english football maby.
    nothing to do with being afraid of creative players, think most people just want to see how Fahey copes with the Premiership first before there are more calls for him to be included in the Irish starting 11.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    if a player from another country who obviously has talents 'fails' in the english league he's seen to been 'unable to adapt' if its an irish player and Fahey doesn't show what he can do, its because he's a former league of ireland player and is crap and not worthy of gracing the irish jersey.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishultra View Post
    if a player from another country who obviously has talents 'fails' in the english league he's seen to been 'unable to adapt' if its an irish player and Fahey doesn't show what he can do, its because he's a former league of ireland player and is crap and not worthy of gracing the irish jersey.
    Why dont we see how he gets on first before you start to make exuses for why he didnt do well in the Premiership, he could be an absolutely brilliant and Im sure 99.9% of Irish fans hope he is

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,339 Posts
    Blackburn have announced they will be opening contract talks with Reid soon - http://www.blackburncitizen.co.uk/sp..._midfield_duo/ - sounds promising from a fitness point of view if they're willing to open talks with him.

Incidentally, I'd have him in the squad VS Australia just to train with the side, and not play him to keep Blackburn happy. He's been injured VS Germany for us, and again soon after the Montenegro game, so they really can't be happy to see him leave for international duty.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wangball View Post
    Glenn Whelan has played brilliantly but I reckon that Reid and Andrews would be a better partnership, they offer more going forward
    I agree with the bold on account of disagreeing with the underlined!!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,916 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Blackburn have announced they will be opening contract talks with Reid soon - http://www.blackburncitizen.co.uk/sp..._midfield_duo/ - sounds promising from a fitness point of view if they're willing to open talks with him.

Incidentally, I'd have him in the squad VS Australia just to train with the side, and not play him to keep Blackburn happy. He's been injured VS Germany for us, and again soon after the Montenegro game, so they really can't be happy to see him leave for international duty.
    I think he was either not 100% before the Montenegro game or he was injured during the game. He was stiff and lacked mobility after about 20 mins and wasn't his leg also strapped up. Despite that, still a commanding performance.

Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast