Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Steven Reid

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Interview with Reid on Blackburn's site: http://www.rovers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10303~1161949,00.html
    "I was a little bit surprised [about the call up] actually, I've not heard from Don at all, it was a nice surprise but whether I'm quote up to European qualifying shape at the minute I don't know. "I'm delighted to be in it, I'll have a chat with the manager and see where we go from there."
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    far too soon for him..see keith treacy was on the bench for blackburn at the weekend!
    'How can I hate women, my Mums one!!!' Chris Finch

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Givens is really a tool, he has no man management skills. Darren Potter is not in the squad and usually on ability you would choose Stephen Reid everytime but surely a call to Reid should have been made and then find out if he can play or if Hughes wants him to play. Then you can pick your squad and you have not left Potter out or you have but you tell him that Stephen Reid is back in the squad as ia s more developed player at this stage.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by citizenerased View Post
    far too soon for him..see keith treacy was on the bench for blackburn at the weekend!
    He came on in the last few minutes against Portsmouth in the Carling Cup last week.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Hughes to pull Reid from Eire squad
    Exclusive By [COLOR=#000000]Andy Neild[/COLOR]

BLACKBURN boss Mark Hughes intends to pull Steven Reid out of Republic of Ireland duty after the midfielder was handed a shock call-up yesterday.
    The Republic's caretaker manager, Don Givens, surprisingly included Reid in his 22-man squad for the Group D European Championship qualifier with Wales in Cardiff on November 17 - even though the 26-year-old has yet to make a first-team return following 14 months out with knee and back injuries.
    Hughes insists Reid is still not ready to make a full competitive comeback, even though he watched the former Millwall man complete 90 minutes for Rovers' Reserves at Manchester City last night.

And the Rovers chief plans to make his feelings known during a conversation with the Football Association of Ireland today.
    "There's no way Steven can play because he's just not ready yet," said Hughes.
    "The guy has been out for 14 months with two different injuries and he has yet to play a first team game for us, so there's no way he can play for his country."
    Although Reid stepped up his comeback with another useful workout last night, Hughes believes the midfielder still needs another couple of games before he can be considered for a first team return.
    "I don't want to set Steven specific targets because if he doesn't hit them, it seems like a set-back," said Hughes.
    "He's making good progress and you can see that he's getting stronger with every game he plays, but he probably needs another couple of matches yet before we can start thinking about throwing him back in.
    "You can't rush people back when they've been out for as long as Steven has."
    Reid admitted he was genuinely shocked to learn of his call-up yesterday, 14 months after he last played for the Republic in the opening game of their qualifying campaign against Germany.
    "I was a bit surprised, to be honest," he said.
    "I've not heard from Don at all so it was a big surprise, but a nice surprise.
    "Whether I'm up to European qualifying shape at the minute, I don't know.
    "But I was delighted to be in it all the same, and it's things like that that make you start to feel you are getting back."
    As for last night's run-out against City, Reid added: "I'm just happy to get another 90 under my belt. I started to tire in the last 15 minutes or so.
    "But hopefully I can get a couple more games in before the gaffer looks to get me back involved with the squad.
    "I know it's a cliché but it's literally a case of taking every game as it comes.
    "But I'm just delighted to be training and playing in every game that comes along at the minute.
    "I feel in decent shape. I was a little bit sloppy at times (last night) and gave the ball away a bit, but I'm sure that will come once I've got a few more games under my belt."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Ya cant blame Hughes, Reid gets injured playing for Ireland against Germany, Blackburn have to pay his wages for the 14 months he's out, the as soon as he gets near fitness he has to play his first comeback game....for Ireland!! But good to see he's on the mend and near a return.
    Marge: Homer, the plant called. They said if you don't show up tomorrow don't bother showing up on Monday.
    Homer: Woo-hoo. Four-day weekend
    -
    Trappattoni+Tardelli+Brady=Holy Trinity of Irish Football

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    yeah hughes has a right to pull him out givens is a mongo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    As I said above this should have been sorted before, Givens really has not skills in this area or any other area it seems to do with football managment. It now means that Potter feels he has been dropped also. So its a lose lose situation.
    In Trap we trust

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Potter played 8 minutes on saturday, he is also recovering match fitness after injury.

Blackburn have to pay his wages for the 14 months he's out
    If a player is injured on intl duty the FAI insurance covers at least 6 months of club wages, Reid injured himself again adding to his woes.
    Agreed he shouldn't be near the squad yet.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    ya givens is a mongo, but if it boosts his confidence and stuff then thats a good thing.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It must be a boost for Reid to see he so highly though-of, but he needs to be playing for Blackburn before making his come-back for Ireland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    agreed, fair enough if we were still in with a shout of qualifying...hopefully he will be fit for the friendly against the samba boys.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Potter played 8 minutes on saturday, he is also recovering match fitness after injury.

If a player is injured on intl duty the FAI insurance covers at least 6 months of club wages, Reid injured himself again adding to his woes.
    Agreed he shouldn't be near the squad yet.
    Okay make it 8 months then, still rough on b'burn!
    Marge: Homer, the plant called. They said if you don't show up tomorrow don't bother showing up on Monday.
    -

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Givens knew he was coming back from a serious injury and therefore should have spoke to Mark Hughes ( and Reid ) before announcing his squad, thereby avoiding this embarrassing situation.
    Tact is for people who are not witty enough to be sarcastic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    ya givens is a mongo, but if it boosts his confidence and stuff then thats a good thing.
    So if he boosts his confidence and it was a "nice surprise" ,according to Reid,then hes not a mongo.....whatever that is???
    "You'll not see nothing like the Shelbourne team"

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ireland4ever View Post
    Okay make it 8 months then, still rough on b'burn!
    The FAI were not responsible for Steven's second injury which increased the time out to 14 months.
    Don't say that he wouldn't have had the second injury only because he injured himself in the first place in Stuttgart
    He is injury prone (extreme).

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    do ye know what, a mate of mine was a boxer, he had to stop cos he kept breaking his thumb or wrist!! his surname was reid too..........
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    483 Posts
    As this game is a glorified friendly i could have seen the benefit of calling him up and not playing him, just to get him training with the squad again. Or even asking Sparky permission to take him away to train with us, but not actually name him in the squad.

But if Hughes really had no idea, it is a bit of a strange one. What was Givens thinking?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    The FAI were not responsible for Steven's second injury which increased the time out to 14 months.
    Don't say that he wouldn't have had the second injury only because he injured himself in the first place in Stuttgart
    He is injury prone (extreme).
    He wouldn't have had the second injury if he hadnt injured himself in the first place in Stuttgart

There, ive said it!
    -

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Ooooh we've got a bit of a rebel on our hands, I like it! Be warned though, Geysir is liable to erupt without any forewarning.

On Steven Reid, I really hope he can return to the form he was in with Blackburn two years ago. The ****ty thing with such long injuries though is that you pretty much have to prove yourself from scratch all over again. Best of luck Steven, I'm sure your loyal follower Ireland4Ever will keep us abreast of your progress, well he better after being so bold earlier.

Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast