Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 26 of 37 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Steven Reid

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Reid failed his medical at Celtic apparently. It doesn't mean that the move is off, just that the medical staff have raised concerns about the health of his knees which could mean reduced terms being offered.
    Criticism is prejudice made plausible

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    He looked a certainty to join West Brom initially. I wonder if their medics had reached the same conclusion and decided not to make it public. Sad for him in any case - hopefully he can take the financial hit and prove the docs wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    He looked a certainty to join West Brom initially. I wonder if their medics had reached the same conclusion and decided not to make it public. Sad for him in any case - hopefully he can take the financial hit and prove the docs wrong.
    has apparently signed a two year contract with west brom today after passing a medical. good news if true

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Confirmed. Two year contract with the option of another 12 months.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/0526/reids.html

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    The report of a failed Celtic medical comes from the Scottish Daily Record, which means automatic total disbelief until substantiated elsewhere.

Very good news for Reid with a 2 year contract, with at least one of the years playing in the epl.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    has apparently signed a two year contract with west brom today after passing a medical. good news if true
    He certainly made a fool out of me. You're a worthy foe, Reid...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    I must admit, I thought Steven had 'pay as you play deal' written all over him but fair play to him for earning a decent contract. He's yet to even hint at international retirement too, which might have been a temptation for someone with his history of injuries looking to land a deal.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    We really could do with a fit Stevie Reid back playing for us again, if fit and available he walks into the midfield imp. Heres hoping for a long and injury free season for the lad.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MuckaTucka View Post
    Reid failed his medical at Celtic apparently. It doesn't mean that the move is off, just that the medical staff have raised concerns about the health of his knees which could mean reduced terms being offered.
    Ah Scottish doctors (like Burke & Hare) - sure what do they know?

Apparently, Birmingham A & E have set aside the "Keith O'Neill Memorial Suite" for Steven's first visit (probably next wk).

Really hope it works out for him but I fear the worst. He is one of those players who you fear for everytime he even runs out on to the pitch and hope he doesn't pull a muscle in so doing!
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Steven Reid calls time on Ireland career Tuesday, 13 July 2010 11:30

Steven Reid has retired from international football to concentrate on his club career.
    Reid has 23 caps for Ireland to date and made his debut in the 2-2 friendly against Croatia in Lansdowne Road in 2001 after he caught the eye of Mick McCarthy with impressive performances for Millwall and the Ireland Under 21s.
    'It was a tough decision because I've had some terrific times with Ireland,' said Reid, who earlier this month signed a two-year West Bromwich Albion deal, plus a further year's option.
    'But having weighed everything up, I know this is the right decision. The injuries I've had over the past couple of years have been well documented and I've taken this step to prolong my club career and to spend more time with my family.
    'It's a decision I came to after lengthy discussions with the club's medical staff and my family. I've had some unforgettable times with Ireland, the highlight being making two appearances at the World Cup Finals in Japan and South Korea in 2002 and it has always been a huge honour for me to wear the Irish jersey.
    'It's just a shame my injuries cut short the number of caps I possibly could have won over the past few years.'
    He continued: 'I wish the squad every success for the forthcoming European Championship qualifiers and thank the players, the back room team and the management for their help, support and friendship over the past nine years. I would also like to say a massive thank you to all the Irish fans for their support. They always got behind me and it was an honour to represent them.'
    Reid featured in games against Germany and Cameroon in the 2002 World Cup. He subsequently played under Brian Kerr, Stephen Staunton and Giovanni Trapattoni. He scored two international goals, the first against Russia in February 2002 and on the eve of the World Cup against Nigeria in May 2002. He also had the honour of captaining Ireland against the Netherlands in August 2006.
    Speaking in recognition of Reid's contribution to international football, Giovanni Trapattoni said: 'We are sorry to hear about Steven's decision to retire from international football to concentrate on his club career at West Bromwich Albion.
    'His commanding presence for the Republic of Ireland will be missed by his teammates and fans alike. Steven always showed tremendous commitment to the Irish jersey even during difficult times in his career and for that we thank him most warmly. On behalf of the Irish team, we wish Steven well for his future club career and we thank him for his outstanding commitment.'
    Republic of Ireland captain Robbie Keane said: 'Steven was always a great player to have around the Ireland camp both on and off the pitch. His talent and experience was invaluable in midfield and on a personal level, it was always a pleasure to play alongside him. On behalf of the squad, I would like to wish him all the best for his future club career.'
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

11. Thanks From:

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Fair play to the lad, good luck with his fitness for the rest of his career. Class act.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Damn who are we all going to whine about never being healthy? Hey where is Terry Dixon anyway?
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Dissappointed. I really thought that he could be an important part of our midfield for a campaign or two if he got his fitness back on track. Thanks for everything Steve, you always gave 100% and were never found wanting.

I think I should the parachute, because I'm great.

In fact, I think I should get both parachutes, in case one doesn't work.

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Gutted about hearing this. An absolute class act. A player whom i have no doubt would have made it to the top if it wasnt for his injuries.

Many thanks Steve for all your endeavour and pride you showed when wearing the green of ireland and may the remainder of your club career be injury free and succesful, The best of luck.
    My Country is My Club.

Republic of Ireland Forever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um_ZvP2cUdo

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Disappointed to see him go. Definitely think he couldve offered us something, particularly as he seems to have had a good few months injury free. Fully fit, certainly one of our stronger midfielders, but for some reason Trap appeared to right him off a few months back.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Sad to see him hang up his (international) boots; however, never say never. Considering how many managers hate international matches, it's a canny move by Reid, who is surely considered damaged goods by some & knows that playing international games could be a fast way to ruin his club career. So if he gets a full season or two under his belt, don't be surprised if he offers his services again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    He looked the real deal in the early part of Trapp's reign until the usual injuries came back to plague him. Lets be honest though, if you saw his getting on the same plane as you, you'd immediately start looking for the parachute.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Easily the best central midfielder we've had since Roy. Class player, always passed the ball around nicely when others were panicking.

If it wasn't for the injuries, he could possibly be anchoring the Man Utd midfield. He could have been that good.

Very disappointed he quit Ireland, but understandable I suppose.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    I can understand that his injury record would lead him to this decision, but the line about wanting to spent more time with his family is shyte of the highest order. Has he not had enough time with them while he wasnt playing for basically the last 2 years. Not just picking on Reidy to be fair, it just bugs me when footballers say that. They finish trainin most days at about 1 and retire when they are 35 so they get more time with their families than any other workin man.

Anyway rant over. Top class player who if not for his injury record would have been playing for one of the top teams in England in my opinion and he always gave us 100% when playing for us. Very disappointed that he didnt try give it one more campaign at least but I would imagine that he was put under some pressure when signing his new contract and I guess that has to come first.
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    I can understand that his injury record would lead him to this decision, but the line about wanting to spent more time with his family is shyte of the highest order. Has he not had enough time with them while he wasnt playing for basically the last 2 years. Not just picking on Reidy to be fair, it just bugs me when footballers say that. They finish trainin most days at about 1 and retire when they are 35 so they get more time with their families than any other workin man..
    True. It's just a cliche that's used. Shame to see him go.

Page 26 of 37 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast