Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Robbie Keane on Late Late Show Tonight

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I hope to F*ck that the new manager takes the captaincy off Robbie. What kind of example is he setting for the rest of the team. Could you imagine any of our previous players coming onto the Late Late and complaining about the media and accepting none of the blame themselves...hell no!!....Robbie failed to aknowledge that he has been utterly pathetic for ireland for many a year now.....After the Cyprus match Stephen Hunt came out and apologised for his peformance and stated that he was emabarassed with his showing...Proper order, its a pity our captain could not follow that example.
    Marge: Homer, the plant called. They said if you don't show up tomorrow don't bother showing up on Monday.
    Homer: Woo-hoo. Four-day weekend
    -
    Trappattoni+Tardelli+Brady=Holy Trinity of Irish Football

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ireland4ever View Post
    I hope to F*ck that the new manager takes the captaincy off Robbie. What kind of example is he setting for the rest of the team. Could you imagine any of our previous players coming onto the Late Late and complaining about the media and accepting none of the blame themselves...hell no!!....Robbie failed to aknowledge that he has been utterly pathetic for ireland for many a year now.....After the Cyprus match Stephen Hunt came out and apologised for his peformance and stated that he was emabarassed with his showing...Proper order, its a pity our captain could not follow that example.
    i agree I4E, hunt was right having a go at stevie ireland aswell...Keane is a whinging little pre-madonna, stans mate...does anyone else find it strange that the players call the manager by his nickname 'Stan', this emphasises the lack of true respect for him in the irish camp...
    'How can I hate women, my Mums one!!!' Chris Finch

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    Smells of the 'give the 2 fingers to the booing abusive fans and they go squealing, oh how dare he do that, we are soooo offended.'
    Give the 2 fingers to abusive media and they all circle the wagons.
    "the FAI nixed an interview this paper had arranged ...... So the space had to be filled with a critical piece about the current regime."
    Gimmie a break from that heap of sanctamonius sh'íte.
    Why can it not be accepted that some obvious reporting goes way over the top, why did Robbie have to answer a stupid thick question about Stan's team talk. That feckin journalist is the one who should be grilled alive in public.

Amongst the things that I could make out from the verbally challenged Robbie,
    'of course I missed sitters, I am the only one who takes responsibility for that, I have to face up that and look myself in the mirror, I should have done better'.
    'We as players have to look at our role and say we were not good enough'.

The media hatchet jobs has an effect on the younger players, he repeated this many times. He repeatedly referred to the younger players. He said 'the older players will be leaving in a few years and worries about who is going to want to play for Ireland.'
    'We have to stick together as a unit as a nation'.

Take it or leave it, a footballer has opened his mouth and words were heard, some words make sense others are nonsense.
    I have no problem bearing with Robbie through this famine and hope he starts scoring goals.
    If there is somebody else who has a better chance of scoring goals then so be it?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    In fairness to Keane he has suffered as much as any of the players IMO during the current regime. Stan's tactical naivety has been evident as much in anything as in our inability to create decent chances from the midfield particularly for a striker that's none too hot in the air.

Doyle has scored a few because of his strength and decent aerial ability but he's hardly been prolific either. Keane has none of the aforementioned qualities in his game and needs better ball to feet than he's become accustomed to under Stan and to a lesser extent Kerr before him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    The questions that the three members in the Late Late show audience asked was embaressing. I was hoping when they went to the crowd we would get some tough questions but no, instead we get more Irish stupidity and the lick arse mentality of some

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    Doyle has scored a few because of his strength and decent aerial ability but he's hardly been prolific either. Keane has none of the aforementioned qualities in his game and needs better ball to feet than he's become accustomed to under Stan and to a lesser extent Kerr before him.
    I agree with you certainly but Doyle scored two massive gaoals for us against Slovakia. Keane got the all important 3rd, 4th and 5th home goals against San marino

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    From the fresh-off-the presses of the Guardian's Fiver:

SUNSHINE! MOONLIGHT! GOOD TIMES! MEDIA!

The Late Late Show is a weekly chat show that's been running on Irish television for over 352 years. It is hosted by what appears to be a cardboard cut-out named Pat Kenny, who plumbs depths of obsequiousness that make even the sycophantic Michael Parkinson look like a member of the Spanish Inquisition. Last Friday night, it was the turn of Robbie Keane to chew the fat with Kenny. As is customary when Ireland's record goalscorer finds himself in a one-on-one, he failed to hit the target.

"The media are trying to get the fans against us," he whined, simultaneously crediting his team's long-suffering fans with very little intelligence and suggesting it's somehow the Fiver's fault that he's firing more blanks than Boycie from Only Fools and Horses. And while we struggled to recall which of our press-box colleagues was responsible for appointing Stan "Steve" Staunton as Ireland's manager, or how many hacks from The Theme-Pub Times played in green when Cyprus walloped Ireland 5-2, Keane continued his rant. "I'm worried about the next generation of young players coming through and the desire they have to come over to play for Ireland. From the minute they come over on the Tuesday to the game on Saturday, they're getting hammered and that can't be good for Irish football."

That's getting "hammered" by the media, as opposed to Robbie's forte: getting "hammered" in Dublin nightclubs during the build-up to a very important match against France. That probably can't be good for Irish football either, but as Robbie failed to mention it at the weekend, we can only assume the media were to blame for that too.

Staunton is expected to lose his job tomorrow when the FAI holds an emergency board meeting to figure out a way of blaming the weather, the media ... basically anyone but themselves for the disastrous appointment of a "world-class" boss whose management experience was restricted to handing out bibs for Paul Merson at Walsall. "I'm the boss. I'm the gaffer. At the end of the day what I say goes, the buck stops with me," said Staunton on his appointment. The buck shouldn't stop exclusively with him, but tomorrow it almost certainly will.
    Together with all our hearts.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    The sacred words of the heroic Paul Doyle, I'd take great pleasure in hanging him by the balls from the Davin Stand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fergalr View Post

"I'm worried about the next generation of young players coming through and the desire they have to come over to play for Ireland. From the minute they come over on the Tuesday to the game on Saturday, they're getting hammered and that can't be good for Irish football."
    This quote was by far and away the most bizarre from our verbally challeged captain. Since Stan has been in charge 99.99% of the media attention has been directed at him. The players imo have gotten off very lightly. The media have basically released the players from any blame because of the ineptitude of the manager. If anything Robbie, the media have been to easy on you and your team-mates.
    Marge: Homer, the plant called. They said if you don't show up tomorrow don't bother showing up on Monday.
    -

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I have a lot of sympathy for Robbie's case.

The media control the agenda of thought in modern society.

It's how the likes of George Bush and Silvio Berlusconi get elected.

Half of the print media in Ireland (including especially Tom Humphries and Eamonn Dunphy) have bigger heads than John Delany.

Fewer people can think for themselves these days and just regurgitate whatever they read in the paper.

Then when you ask them to back it up they look at you cross-eyed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post

Half of the print media in Ireland (including especially Tom Humphries and Eamonn Dunphy) have bigger heads than John Delany.

Fewer people can think for themselves these days and just regurgitate whatever they read in the paper.

So if the media are all consuming how didyou have the brain power and independence to be critical of them.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I agree to a certain extent but there are some things that not even the media could hide. Like the fact that Ireland & Robbie Keane have been utterly appalling for the last number of years.
    -

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The same brain power I had not to make blanket-statements like all-consuming

I said fewer people.

I'm not saying we're all robots but these guys are trying and succeeding to influence information more than providing it which is their job.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    But again I will ask how do you have the power to resist the power of the media but others dont.
    In Trap we trust

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Not sure about that. Perhaps Dunphy has a bigger mouth and Humphries has a bigger belly.
    Together with all our hearts.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    If you had the power you wouldn't need to ask.
    Are you looking for some lessons Neil?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I know what you are saying,

I'm not trying to say i'm a high and mighty being,

but some people are a lot better at recognising bias, and recognising the difference between an argument based on evidence and one based on opinion.

The media should also be equally open to critiscism as anyone.

Whenever any section of the media gets criticized, they all gang together and vilify the perpetrator. They are a dictatorship in themselves at times.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I did a masters in Media studies and the one thing I learnt from it was that never underestimate the power of the individual to make up his/her own mind and also never over estimate the power of the media to influence said individuals mind or opinion.
    In Trap we trust

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    I did a masters in Media studies?

Why?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Fair enough.

Here is a quote from Al Gore about the campaign he ran the first time he ran for the Senate

"my campaign advisors made a recommendation and prediction that surprised me with its specifity: 'If you run this ad at this many points [a measure of the size of advertising buy], and if Ashe (opponent) responds as we anticipate, and then we purchase this many points to air our response to his response, the net result after three weeks will be an increase of 8.5% in your lead in the polls.'
    I authorized the plan and was astonished when three weeks later my lead had increased by exactly 8.5%"

If people can always think for themselves how does advertising make them buy things they don't need.

Obviously its not black and white and certain people are influenced more than others, but maybe you should ask someone with a masters in marketing what they think.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast