Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sporting Fingal

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Sporting Fingal

Heard today from someone involved this is 90% certain to be the name of Fingal Citys team.

They should thank rovers for FCC getting involved as it now seems to be a council/corpo thing to help the community and its footballing situation.

kdjac

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Think FCC have been involved from the start of the project.
    "Look at them. They're all out of step except my son Johnny"
    Mrs. Delaney

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Good name, I like it. Better than Fingal FC anyway and a welcome change to all the United/City/Rovers names.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Sounds like a discount sports shop for skangsies.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Yeh it's a great name. Let's pick something the Premiership lovers will feel right at home with. Fingal United. Oh, hold on, that's too easy. Let's go with something a little foreign. Bring in the Poles and all that. Sporting Fingal! Genius.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    They can call themselves Gay Biscuits FC if they like. No one's going to support them so it doesn't matter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Better name than Fingal City, but even if they'd changed the name on the Titanic it still would've sunk.

Can't even see how this lot are going to get into the senior league anyway - for the first time in years it feels like all 22 teams in our league have a place there and are determined to keep it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    If they are based around the Swords area they would have as good chance as any new team of garnering a decent support base. I read yesterday that plans are afoot towards developing Swords to such an extent that it will be bigger than Cork City.

Swords is after all the capital of Fingal!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Theskinloyal View Post
    If they are based around the Swords area they would have as good chance as any new team of garnering a decent support base. I read yesterday that plans are afoot towards developing Swords to such an extent that it will be bigger than Cork City.

I can see the good people of Swords finally dropping their loyalties to Man U, Liverpool and Celtic to all rally in support of a team named after a different part of Dublin than the one they live in......

The fundamental problem is that Dublin teams do not have the capacity to attract the automatic loyalty and affinity from their local community that teams from outside the capital can easily generate. Population is therefore irrelevant in assessing the viability of a new team in the EL. It's no accident that clubs like Cork and Derry attract bigger crowds than any single team in Dublin, despite the population disparity between those cities and chunks of Dublin.

Furtehrmore - teams outside the capital have a better track record in recent years. It was 17 years ago when a team from outside Dublin last dropped out of the league (NewcastleWest in 1990). One year ago was the last time a Dublin team dropped out. And in-between we also had St Francis and St James Gate dropping out in Dublin - along with Dublin City, to have their slots eventually replaced by non-Dublin teams Wexford and Kildare. And that's not to mention 2 name changes by Home Farm in-between - ironically enough, one of which incorporated the name 'Fingal'.

Therefore, I would argue that any new team OUTSIDE of Dublin in a decent sized connurbation, and preferably one with a soccer tradition, has a much greater chance of attracting support than a new team INSIDE Dublin. And recent history would seem to strongly supoport that assertion.

The people of Wexford will turn out to see their team when it's doing well, beacuse they have the capacity to feel some sort of connection for a team representing their town. The people of Swords won't give a flying feck that there's a team up the road from them in Fingal that allegedly represents them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LeixlipRed View Post
    Yeh it's a great name. Let's pick something the Premiership lovers will feel right at home with. Fingal United. Oh, hold on, that's too easy. Let's go with something a little foreign. Bring in the Poles and all that. Sporting Fingal! Genius.
    What about Swordsbourne or Shelgal FC?

Name is good - different than the usual anyhow
    Kom Igen, FCK...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Theskinloyal View Post

Fair point, but don't forget that Bohs will be moving to a brand new swanky stadium at the end of the airport runway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Good name. I hope they do well. If they do they might get a decent support base from Balbriggan, Skerries, Rush, Lusk & Swords. I think Fingal is one of the fastest growing areas in Europe! It won't be a new Dublin team. People from the City think we're boggers anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBohs View Post
    People from the City think we're boggers anyway.
    ... and people from the country think you're all called Anto

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    ... and people from the country think you're all called Anto
    The poor suffering people of Fingal. We just can't get a break.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Good name. I hope they do well. If they do they might get a decent support base from Balbriggan, Skerries, Rush, Lusk & Swords. I think Fingal is one of the fastest growing areas in Europe! It won't be a new Dublin team. People from the City think we're boggers anyway.
    But the bottom-line problem of ease of identification to the team still exists, and none of the recent positive postings about this proposal have addressed it.

People in Swords, Balbriggan etc consider themselves to be from both those individual areas and Dublin. A team looking to represent that area of outer Dublin will face the same problems as Shels, Bohs, Pats, Rovers, UCD, Dublin City, St Francis etc do/did - namely, the locals won't see them as "their" team.

Having an actual geographical place name in the team title might help to some degree. But then, people from Swords etc are from those places - not Fingal.

For all these reasons, I can't see such a new team working.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    I think they should sell their name to some corporation. Sporting IKEA FC perhaps?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Centra City FC
    Sporting Spar FC
    Kom Igen, FCK...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I know it will be hard for them. Not only will they have the Dublin teams on there door step but Drogheda the otherside. I'd prefer a new team to come from Mullingar, Mayo or Kerry but we shouldn't shoot down the whole Sporting Fingal idea just because we disagree with it. It's going to be hard for them but I hope they succeed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    I know it will be hard for them. Not only will they have the Dublin teams on there door step but Drogheda the otherside. I'd prefer a new team to come from Mullingar, Mayo or Kerry but we shouldn't shoot down the whole Sporting Fingal idea just because we disagree with it. It's going to be hard for them but I hope they succeed.
    On the contrary - i think we have every right to shoot-down a team idea if we don't think it'll work and we can back that up with reasonable arguements and historical precedence.

In its entire 85 year history, the longest period of time the LOI has gone without ANY sort of change to its membership (i.e. new teams joining, old teams dropping out, current ones changing name) has been 3 seasons. Three seasons ! We are currently one-quarter of the way through beating that record, following the demise of Dublin City last year, and I sincerely hope for the sake of Irish football that we will.

Our league has been riddled with enough instability over the years without embracing any aul' team who pop up and fancy their chances, regardless of an objective assessment of their chances of survival. That was the old approach - which lead to drop-outs like Thurles Town, Newcastle West, St Francis, St James's etc. We need another Dublin City in our league like Michael Jackon needs another 7 year old in his bed.

As an aside - it's still not at all clear if any Fingal team would be able to get into the senior league anyway, as who would they replace ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I hope they don't succeed. They are saying that it is too much to ask people to travel all the way from Swords to see a decent Dublin-based football team, and that they prefer the north Dublin yokel model.
    Finging Sportal, or whatever they call it, is a cosmetic exercise by some local politicians and bureaucrats who should be working to support and conserve what already exists in Dublin football.
    PS: people from north county Dublin are not 'boggers'. They're just odd.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast