Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 12 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul McShane

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    It's hard to equate McShanes form now with his evident promise.
    West Brom did much better in that deal than Man U.
    You would have seen one or two cóckups in each game when he played for Ireland but nothing too serious as not to justify his nr 6 shirt at Sunderland.
    Scouting Report WBA

Looks like he will have to go back to a Championship team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seagull-4-life View Post
    Thing is though he's not a useful back up.
    His fault for Owen's first goal and apparently he was dire throughout the match.
    There's no apparently about it Seagull, he was shocking. Looks drained off confidence, a pale shadow of the guy who marked Jan Koller in October 2006. I don't know really what role he's going to have with Ireland. Can't see him as a right back, he's not good enough for back up really. So, it looks like a Dunne-O'Shea partnership there, unless they talk Andy O'Brien around.
    'And Crouch must score'

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RivaldoBabb View Post
    McShane was shocking against newcastle, in fact its been a long time since i seen a defender play as bad...apart from John O shea of course who is consistently shocking.

Mind you, Stephen Kelly wasnt much better against villa, ashley young took him to the cleaners at will.

Pray Finann returns to help out Richard Dunne or we have no chance in qualification in our group.
    My sentinments exactly, we have one crap defence..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    732 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    One crucial difference between Dunne and McShane. Dunne was poor early on in his career, but not through any lack of ability; rather, his attitude was all wrong (too much drinking etc.). Once he sorted that out, his ability has shone through, making him one of the top CB's in the Prem.

Whereas no-one doubts McShane's attitude. His problem may be more than just a temporary lack of confidence. It's beginning to look like a lack of basic ability. And that's a hell of a sight harder to sort out than a bad attitude.

In the end, Sir Alex Ferguson's early judgement may be being proved right. When McShane was a promising youngster at OT and looking for games, in the end, Ferguson let him leave permanently. By contrast, he has done much more to keep Jonny Evans (a year younger) on MU's books, by loaning him out first to Belgium, then to Sunderland.

And it is being said that the only reason he is now considering selling Evans permanently, is in order to reassure Pique that he is next in line at OT, after Vidic and Ferdinand. (Otherwise, Pique will likely p iss off to Spain, where he would have his pick - sorry - of good clubs)

In the end, it's no real shame for Evans being rated behind the exceptional Pique, esp when Ferguson can probably demand £5m+ for him. But whichever, for all that he seems a decent sort, McShane doesn't belong in either of the other two player's company (imo).
    Quote Originally Posted by FarBeag View Post
    Totally agree with this assessment. Well presented.
    And wrong. Ferguson had no desire to let McShane go. The lad demanded a transfer, having decided that he needed first team football.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Thankfully McShane's early Ireland performances will be fresh in Traps mind after watching them in the last few months. He was pretty much as solid as Dunne for us up until the last 2 games (Cyprus -h, Wales -a).

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Thankfully McShane's early Ireland performances will be fresh in Traps mind

Eireboy Out of Interest, why do you make this statement! I would have thought Mcshanes days are numbered at premiership and international level.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Because I stil rate him and would happily have a Dunne-McShane partnership for Ireland, considering we haven't much option but to play O'Shea left back.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    Because I stil rate him and would happily have a Dunne-McShane partnership for Ireland, considering we haven't much option but to play O'Shea left back.
    EB I am sorry but his performances this year for Sunderland have been abysmal. He is a substandard player and will be shipped out at the end of the year. I think he was at fault for five of the goals against Everton. Is this the type of player you want to play in the centre of Irelands defence. Bad and all JOS is he was never at fault for five goals in any one game. Open your eyes and see him for what he truely is... ' an accident that has happened'... I could have told you that on his debut... he was good granted but where was he for Kollers goal.... Paul Mc Shane = No good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigmanCas View Post
    Is this the type of player you want to play in the centre of Irelands defence.
    Beside Dunne I'd certainly have no problem.

he was good granted but where was he for Kollers goal....
    Doing what he should have been doing. Not at fault for that goal in the slightest imo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,332 Posts
    EB I am sorry but his performances this year for Sunderland have been abysmal.
    Picked out by football365 as one of the best players against Spurs in the first game of the season
    I think he was at fault for five of the goals against Everton.
    Then why wasn't he dropped in the following game, and the goalkeeper was?
    Is this the type of player you want to play in the centre of Irelands defence.
    If he was playing regularly in the Premier League, then yes. We're not in a position to refuse players like that
    Bad and all JOS is he was never at fault for five goals in any one game.
    I can count on one hand the amount of times United have shipped five goals in one game, with or without JOS. Sunderland are not Manchester United.
    Open your eyes and see him for what he truely is... ' an accident that has happened'... I could have told you that on his debut... he was good granted but where was he for Kollers goal.... Paul Mc Shane = No good.
    He was MOTM on his debut against the Czechs. It's been repeatedly pointed out on the forum that O'Shea was far more at fault for that goal than McShane, he passed the ball back to the Czechs, then turned his back on the player taking the free kick, leaving McShane to deal with it all by himself.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    It was only a friendly but O'Shea-O'Brien vs Holland was one of the worst defensive partnerships I can remember for us. Dunne is obviously crucial but after that it's much of a muchness. O'Brien and Dunne have never looked comfortable together. O'Brien isn't much of an organiser and I think Dunne prefers to play beside a less experienced player where he's comfortable shouting instructions. When they play together they play as individuals. McShane on his day is excellent and I think once he has Dunne beside him he'll be fine.

He's also the type of person that'd read loads of books just to improve his knowledge of the game and he's an intelligent guy. At his peak I'm sure he's gonna be a very good player.
    Last edited by eirebhoy; 22/04/2008 at 11:22 AM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Hopefully O'Dea or St Ledger will be a viable option come the first set of qualifiers. O'Dea needs to start next season getting regular football.

I wouldn't write McShane off yet as he has in the past proven that he is capable of putting in exceptional performances in games in addition to dismal ones unlike the likes of John O'Shea who is never exceptional, regularly inconspicious and occasionally dire. This at least shows McShane has talent but needs to develop the consistency to back it up.

He needs a spell back in The Championship playing at centre back as I don't think he's ever going to be a decent fullback. His reading of the game is yet not good enough to overcome his severe lack of pace which is regularly exposed in the Premiership.

Remember how dire Dunne was when he first broke into the Everton team and was played as a fullback? There is hope yet but he needs to move.
    Last edited by youngirish; 22/04/2008 at 11:58 AM.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    Beside Dunne I'd certainly have no problem.

Doing what he should have been doing. Not at fault for that goal in the slightest imo.
    EB a blind man could see that he was at fault for that goal..

Where will he be playing next year, I ask? It will certainly not be in the Premiership. I would love to see him excel - do get me wrong, but ask any Sunderland fan and they'll tell you.

Tetsujin1979 - he was also named by Football365 in the 'worst team of the year'.????? what does that say about him?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,332 Posts
    Tetsujin1979 - he was also named by Football365 in the 'worst team of the year'.????? what does that say about him?
    you quoted the letters page on f365, what does that say about you?
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 22/04/2008 at 1:14 PM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    EB a blind man could see that he was at fault for that goal..
    I've had this debate many times. What would a top class centre half have done in that position that McShane didn't (left one on one with Koller)?

but ask any Sunderland fan and they'll tell you.
    If Bobo Balde was playing for Sunderland this season his reputation would be probably even lower than McShane's. If Sunderland had Kenny Cunningham of 4 years ago playing for them and Balde joined I bet he'd be regarded as a very good centre half. Balde can literally look world class beside the right player. When partnering someone who is also not a great organiser he's dire at the best of times. Balde never picked up much positional sense throughout his career. He relied on guys like Mjallby to guide him. Mjallby-Balde was one hell of a partnership though.

McShane will pick up the tactical knowledge but atm he requires someone to guide him and get the best out of him.
    Last edited by eirebhoy; 22/04/2008 at 1:07 PM.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    you quoted the letters page on f365, what does that say about you?
    I am merely pointing out a fact.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    He is typical of the Irish/British type of defender.
    No technical ability or football skill of any kind, but he sticks his foot in and can head a ball.
    Great.. Give him PFA player of the year then....
    B.LL.CKS
    All in my humble opinion of course...
    Last edited by Pike B; 22/04/2008 at 1:44 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,332 Posts
    I am merely pointing out a fact.
    The only fact is that he was one of the worst players in the Premier League this season, in the opinion of one fan who wrote in to F365

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    Hopefully O'Dea or St Ledger will be a viable option come the first set of qualifiers. O'Dea needs to start next season getting regular football.

I wouldn't write McShane off yet as he has in the past proven that he is capable of putting in exceptional performances in games in addition to dismal ones unlike the likes of John O'Shea who is never exceptional, regularly inconspicious and occasionally dire. This at least shows McShane has talent but needs to develop the consistency to back it up.

He needs a spell back in The Championship playing at centre back as I don't think he's ever going to be a decent fullback. His reading of the game is yet not good enough to overcome his severe lack of pace which is regularly exposed in the Premiership.

Remember how dire Dunne was when he first broke into the Everton team and was played as a fullback? There is hope yet but he needs to move.
    Well St Ledger has to be given the chance, having been outstanding for PNE this season.

He has now played over 80 games for Preston so far, playing at CB, RB and Defensive Midfield.

It beggers belief as to why he was not chosen for the training squad at the very least.

Very comfortable on the ball, good in the air, has pace, reads the game well and has good leadership qualities, for me an ideal CB partner along side Dunne.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    The only fact is that he was one of the worst players in the Premier League this season, in the opinion of one fan who wrote in to F365
    So you are saying he shouldn't have be named in this particular 'Premierships Numpties XI' because why? - he had a good game against spurs on the first day of the season. Face facts! Smell the Coffee! Whether or not the Numpties X1 is the opinion of one fan or not, the fact remains he would be on most peoples team sheet if they were to choose. It just so happens that it has been the only 'Numpties XI' I've seen to date - whether or not it was on F365 and subjective is not the issue.

Page 12 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast