Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul McShane

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    good post IF86. I'm really hopeful for O'dea. he had a fair amount of games last season but dont know why it hasnt happened this time. Mcshane is the best we have right now to partner dunne but i would welcome andy obrien back for another go. however himself and joey are part of one of the worst defenses in the premier league.
    I

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Games with McShane - O'Shea at centre half:
    Czech Republic (H) 1-1
    Wales (A) 2-2

Games with McShane - Dunne at centre half:
    San Marino (H) 5-0
    Wales (H) 1-0
    Slovakia (H) 1-0
    Slovakia (A) 2-2
    Czech Republic (A) 0-1

Hard to read anything from so few games, but it does look that we are less likely to concede with Dunne - McShane than O'Shea - McShane
    What about Dunne - O'Shea? All I can think of is the Denmark game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DmanDmythDledge View Post
    What about Dunne - O'Shea? All I can think of is the Denmark game.
    I'd say they are few and far between alright, I only checked McShane's history on soccerscene.ie because he's played relatively few games compared to Dunne or O'Shea, don't really have the time to go through both those players' history
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    While McShane looks really comfortable beside Dunne, I also think Dunne looks most comfortable beside McShane.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Dunne alongside O'Shea or a fit Andy O'Brien for me. If McShane was the subject of a Dutch beer comercial you'd have a bloke shouting "Schtop! What's the rush?"

Funny thing is, Dunne & O'Brien did very well together under Kerr and did well enough in Stuttgart (the half-mistake O'Brien made was extremely harshly punished - iffy free kick, deflected goal) and Cyprus was a nightmare for many parties.

I actually wrote here after the game in Germany that at least our CB partnership looks good, as did the whole back 5 that day I thought. If O'Brien starts regularly for Bolton I think he's shades it for me. If he's injured and McShane has to play then fine, he's handy back-up. PO'S has called it correctly as far as I'm concerned, and Brian Kerr wrote the same at the weekend.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I think whats most important is that Dunne stays injury free, without him we are foocked!
    Marge: Homer, the plant called. They said if you don't show up tomorrow don't bother showing up on Monday.
    Homer: Woo-hoo. Four-day weekend
    -
    Trappattoni+Tardelli+Brady=Holy Trinity of Irish Football

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Funny thing is, Dunne & O'Brien did very well together under Kerr and did well enough in Stuttgart (the half-mistake O'Brien made was extremely harshly punished - iffy free kick, deflected goal) and Cyprus was a nightmare for many parties.
    Don't remember Dunne and O'Brien playing very often under Kerr, it was Cunningham and O'Brien more often than not. Dunne was a squad member, but never a regular starter for Kerr. He spent about 6 years in the senior squad under Kerr and McCarthy before becoming a regular starter, and eventual "key player".
    I think McShane is suffering by comparison. Irish centre halves playing regularly at the top level are thin on the ground at the moment, so he's been thrust right into the senior picture, instead of being brought through gradually (like Dunne. and O'Brien before him were) and because he's not measuring up to what Dunne is doing now, instead of comparing him to what Dunne was doing at the same age, suffering massive amounts of criticism.
    For one, I still have faith that he will be a top player in future.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    it was Cunningham and O'Brien more often than not.
    I think you're right actually. Either way, O'Brien always did well enough.

How many different CB pairings did we field this campaign? It'd be nice we we arrive at one good pairing and they both stayed fit. McShane is only a third of the way through his first season in the so called top flight. It's a big ask to expect him to be up to international standard just yet.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    id agree with those two last points.

Its just people on here havent a clue, they get all excited and thing legends etc.

Hunt will be a slightly better kilbane in the long run. Mark my words. He is exactly like kilbane, and we all loved kilbane as a player initially, loved might be the wrong word, admired and thought he was great.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post

Its just people on here havent a clue, they get all excited and thing legends etc.

Hunt will be a slightly better kilbane in the long run. Mark my words. He is exactly like kilbane, and we all loved kilbane as a player initially, loved might be the wrong word, admired and thought he was great.
    I wish I could remember the last time Kilbane made an assist of the quality of Hunt's on Saturday.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    I wish I could remember the last time Kilbane made an assist of the quality of Hunt's on Saturday.
    exactly. but he did, or at least planted it on someones head.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    How many different CB pairings did we field this campaign?
    Germany (A) Dunne - Andy O'Brien
    Cyprus (A) Dunne - Andy O'Brien
    Czech (H) O'Shea - McShane
    San Marino (H) Dunne - McShane
    San Marino (A) Dunne - O'Shea
    Wales (H) Dunne - McShane
    Slovakia (H) Dunne - McShane
    Slovakia (A) Dunne - McShane
    Czech (A) Dunne - McShane
    Germany (H) McShane - Joey O'Brien
    Cyprus (H) O'Shea - McShane
    Wales (A) O'Shea - McShane

So 5 different combinations, but we didn't settle on a settled starting pair until half way through the campaign
    Code:
       Combination       Times W D L
    1. Dunne - McShane     5   3 1 1
    2. O'Shea - McShane    3   0 3 0
    3. Dunne - A O'Brien   2   0 0 2
    4. Dunne - O'Shea      1   1 0 0
    5. McShane - J O'Brien 1   0 1 0

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    I rate McShane very highly, but even if you think he's an average centre-half by EPL standards (which I think is as low as you could rate him), he's still one of our best options at that position.

Who would you rather have in there?
    -Andy O'Brien who I think is the epitome of average central defenders (should definitely be in the squad though)
    -Joey O'Brien: why the **** was he playing centre-half for us against Germany?
    -Darren O'Dea: a good prospect but hasn't broken into the Celtic first team.
    -John O'Shea: has the physical attributes for the position but not the brain/guts. Also not playing there for his club.
    -Alex Bruce: Championship level centre-half, still young and could improve. Possible for the future but not yet.
    -Paddy McCarthy: Championship level centre-half, was captain of his old club. Tons of ability and hard as nails, but gives away a lot of fouls and gets a lot of cards. Hopefully will smarten up with time.

When you look at that group of centre-halfs, McShane for me is at least the best of a bad bunch. O'Dea, McCarthy, and Bruce could still make the grade later on, but as far as current contenders McShane is pretty clear first choice for me alongside Dunne.
    What about Sean St Ledger at Preston? tipped for a move to the Premiership soon

Good on the ball, good in the air, reads the game well, has pace and good positional awareness, can play at RB,CB,Sweeper,LB and the holding role in midfield.

Can't undertstand why he's not in the frame,as I know Kerr and Given were pushing for him to play for the U21's when he was at Peterborough and did feature in some of the senior squads under Stan after his good performances at Preston.

Was earmarked to start the last B game and in the USA only for injury to rule him out and was also close to a start for the senior team in Cyprus.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post

The only thing I've changed my mind on is that McShane is one of the few young players out there that doesn't need an organiser to get the best out of him. I was definitely wrong on that one. I'm sure he's learning loads with every game though and I still think he'll go on to be an excellent player.

I'm making excuses here but we really can't judge him too much playing beside O'Shea. Andy O'Brien was superb in pretty much every game beside Cunningham. Against Holland he partnered O'Shea and they were completely lost. I believe if McShane was partnering a top class organiser throughout this campaign he'd be getting rave reviews.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the doc View Post
    What about Sean St Ledger at Preston? tipped for a move to the Premiership soon.
    It wasn't a deliberate exclusion, he just slipped my mind.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Dunne alongside O'Shea or a fit Andy O'Brien for me. If McShane was the subject of a Dutch beer comercial you'd have a bloke shouting "Schtop! What's the rush?"

I actually wrote here after the game in Germany that at least our CB partnership looks good, as did the whole back 5 that day I thought. If O'Brien starts regularly for Bolton I think he's shades it for me. If he's injured and McShane has to play then fine, he's handy back-up. PO'S has called it correctly as far as I'm concerned, and Brian Kerr wrote the same at the weekend.
    I'm with you, and further in O'Brien's defense he wasn't close to first team football at Portsmouth when he played those games for Ireland. It's very tough to come from reserve football in a situation where you know the manager isn't interested in playing you to come in and play well in crucial international games.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    He needs to learn some rules of defending:
    1. STAY ON YOUR FEET
    2. STAY GOAL SIDE
    3. DON'T GRAB ONTO PEOPLE NEAR THE BOX
    4. IF THERE RUNNING AWAY FROM THE GOAL.... LEAVE THEM RUN AWAY FROM THE GOAL
    5. DON'T FOUL EVERY TIME YOU GO FOR THE BALL
    LESS OF THE BULL NOW!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I'm making excuses here but we really can't judge him too much playing beside O'Shea. Andy O'Brien was superb in pretty much every game beside Cunningham. Against Holland he partnered O'Shea and they were completely lost. I believe if McShane was partnering a top class organiser throughout this campaign he'd be getting rave reviews.
    Ya you could well be right on this, id agree. But think of Phil Babb here, he was fine beside McGrath cos McGrath made him look fine.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Looks like McShane is taking up where he left off in Cardiff
    We'll have to look elsewhere for a defensive partner for Dunne..

61 mins: Goal flash Everton 4 Sunderland 1 Everton are gifted a goal. McShane misses a long punt forward by Yobo and slips as he tries to recover. It allows Cahill to go clean through and slot a shot past Gordon. It is a long way back for Sunderland now.

57 mins: Yakubu turns McShane and shoots wide from 22 yards.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    It get worse..

78 mins: Goal flash Everton 6 Sunderland 1 Oh dear. Substitute Johnson races on to Neville's hopeful ball forward, outpaces McShane and slots a shot past Gordon.

Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast