Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul McShane

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    That's the thing, I think McShane will prove to be a great player eventually because of his attitude....he seems like the sort of lad that may well be aware of his limitations but is more than willing to address those limitations and improve himself, whereas someone like O'Shea has the "couldn't be arsed" vibe about him...

I'd wait until he's matured a bit more until I'd make a definitive judgement. There's no substitute for experience as a Centre-half...
    "Well I think they'll be a little disappointed with that" - Matt Holland on TV3 after 5-2 drubbing by Cyprus

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    mcshane's emergence in the czech game was (for me anyways) a little surprising and very encouraging. I think we should be counting our lucky stars that a young defender of such raw dynamism and passion for the game has emerged in this pitiful campaign. Comparisons with John O' Pie just says it all for me...thank god for paulie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Darren O'Dea, thats your man along side Dunne, no probs
    Havin a weekend away is quite frankly,lettin ur team mates down!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I'd swap O'Dea (or any Celtic defender) for McShane in a flash.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    EireBhoy
    Do u mean u would take McShane over any of them, or any of them over McShane?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by an_ceannaire View Post
    EireBhoy
    Do u mean u would take McShane over any of them, or any of them over McShane?
    Sorry, I'd rather McShane at Celtic over any one of the defenders there atm. I still haven't a clue whether O'Dea's going to make it. I can't make up my mind on him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    i wouldnt be swapping Caldwell or McManus for him!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    McShane is good but abit headless at times...
    'How can I hate women, my Mums one!!!' Chris Finch

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    McShane is a poor player, lacks technical ability, lacks pace, poor distribution, poor positioning as the goal last night showed when he lost his man and to cap all that he is a bit of a hot head too, so will always be liable to get sent off.
    But if thats the type of player Ireland continue to pick,then we can look forward to even more failures in the World cup and Euro qualifying campaigns.

God help us if he's the best we have got, which I don't think for a minute he is!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    McShane is a poor player, lacks technical ability, lacks pace, poor distribution, poor positioning as the goal last night showed when he lost his man and to cap all that he is a bit of a hot head too, so will always be liable to get sent off.
    But if thats the type of player Ireland continue to pick,then we can look forward to even more failures in the World cup and Euro qualifying campaigns.
    He had fault for that goal, the slovakia one, and teh czech one, i still think he had a big part to play in that goal, granted oshea made the initial mistake. However I do think you have gone a little OTT here. he is not that bad
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Really?

First of all, the Czech goal, I still haven't had anyone convince me that he could have done anything to stop that goal. The only thing he could have really done to stop it was get the ball off Koller, sounds easy...

Slovakia and last nights goal. When someone scores a header does there have to be someone on the opposition directly at fault for the goal? I don't think so. Putting the blame on McShane for those 2 goals is extremely harsh. It was a defender that scored for Cyprus last night. All 4 Irish defenders were equally to blame.

McShane was closest to the goalscorer for the 3 goals, it doesn't mean he's at fault for the 3 goals.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    the whole lack of shape and consistency that has been a constant throughout this campaign wont have helped him one bit. rule no. 1 in football is to get your back four sorted.... we were forced into one change (and a big one at that) due to dunnes suspension yet despite that big enough disruption to our back four stan adds to it by making 3 changes to the back 4 from last sat!!
    Best comment of the lot.Proves once again Stan is not cut out for this.He makes a brave but neccessary decision last saturday to play O Brien at Centre Half.OBrien does really well and what happens next he gets moved into midfield increasing the number of changes in the back four and taking another unneccessary gamble which turns out to be a disaster.
    Was Stephen Kelly any worse on Saturday to his other performances? Was he that "worse" to bring Kevin Kilbane in there???

On McShane.Having come through the CR game against the giant quite well, except .... repeat except .....the one on one with Koeller where he was that bit too far off the man and too slow for the goal,serious questions should have been asked about that incident and now seem to be coming to light.

Finally someone ask Roy Keane did Liam Miller really come on at half time last night or was it a ghost and more importantly was it a Cork ghost??
    "You'll not see nothing like the Shelbourne team"

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I meant the san marino goal actually not slovakia. sorry. BUt yes he could certainly have made the angle a lot more difficult for koller and pushed him out further instead he stayed off him and let him keep running, a defenders job in that instance is to always keep goal side and push the striker out and he didnt, but that could be put down to experience. I don't need to explain the other ones in fairness, but just because he didn't fall over or mis-hit the ball to an opposing player that scored doesnt mean he isn't responsible for a goal.
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 18/10/2007 at 4:13 PM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shelbourne1904 View Post
    Best comment of the lot.Proves once again Stan is not cut out for this.He makes a brave but neccessary decision last saturday to play O Brien at Centre Half.OBrien does really well and what happens next he gets moved into midfield increasing the number of changes in the back four and taking another unneccessary gamble which turns out to be a disaster.
    Was Stephen Kelly any worse on Saturday to his other performances? Was he that "worse" to bring Kevin Kilbane in there???

On McShane.Having come through the CR game against the giant quite well, except .... repeat except .....the one on one with Koeller where he was that bit too far off the man and too slow for the goal,serious questions should have been asked about that incident and now seem to be coming to light.

Finally someone ask Roy Keane did Liam Miller really come on at half time last night or was it a ghost and more importantly was it a Cork ghost??
    No its, not dunne was gone mcshane was back. You couldnt play mcshane and obrien together in defence, he did right here, even if oshea is crap he has more experience and should be using it. He was forced into at least 2 changes in that area and 3 would have been the correct ones in my opinion.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Has everyone forgotten McShane won MOTM in the Czech game, which was his debut?
    He was thrown in at the deep end after the debacle 5-2 loss away to Cyprus, against one of the most prolific scorers in International Football in Koller, and he had John O'Shea beside him, and he won MOTM. He's still young and learning his trade. Traditionally defenders don't hit their peak until their late 20's. Let's not forget, at the same age John Terry was getting arrested outside nightclubs, now he's the captain of his country.
    McShane seems to be well grounded and willing to learn, and willing to make sacrifices to learn (take note John O'Shea), and there's no way I'm going to condemn him when more experienced players are getting away with some of the dreck we've had to watch over the last year. Defenders and goalkeepers take more of the flak because it's easy to point to goals conceded as mistakes.
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 18/10/2007 at 4:18 PM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    He's young, I think he'll come good after a full season with Sunderland in the Premier League. He's being tested against a lot of fast attackers week in week out, he'll come good in the end. I think as long as a more senior player is beside him at center back or even in defensive midfield he would be ok for us now.

Put it this way, had Dunne or Carsley been playing last night I think McShane would have had a far better game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    I read the best description I have ever seen of McShane today when I read the following.

The fact that he hares around like he's got a nest of wasps stuck down his underpants only makes it more blindingly obvious how inept he is.

In fairness I wouldn't call him inept but certainly his frantic playing style is unusual for a centre-half.
    Last edited by Maroon 7; 18/10/2007 at 6:56 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon 7 View Post
    I read the best description I have ever seen of McShane today
    Where did that come from?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    I don't rate him and would much prefer Andy O'Brien in the side. The errors that came last night were a matter or when, not if. He may have a future, but not at centre back. Even if he got faster, more composed, and learned to read the game better, he would still be to short.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    715 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backtowalsall View Post
    I don't rate him and would much prefer Andy O'Brien in the side. The errors that came last night were a matter or when, not if. He may have a future, but not at centre back. Even if he got faster, more composed, and learned to read the game better, he would still be to short.
    Paul McShane: 6' 0".
    Fabio Cannavaro: 5' 9 1⁄2"

Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast