Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Marcos Painter

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts

Marcos Painter

I see Steve Claridge's latest Scouting Report is on Marcos Painter, now at Swansea. As it's a blog piece my IT security at work won't allow me to open it. Can anyone go to the Guardian's site & paste the article please?

I think he plays left back but prefers CB. He certainly did when he was at Birmingham.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Scouting report: Marcos Painter, Swansea City

The promising young Swansea left-back is given the once over.

Steve Claridge

October 16, 2007 12:18 AM
    For some, the opportunity to play top-flight football comes early in a career whereas others, like myself, have to work hard for many years before they get their break. It actually took me 12 years of graft, but who's counting? Marcos Painter falls into the former category. A product of the Birmingham City academy, he enjoyed a brief dalliance with the Premier League, making a handful of appearances for Blues, before he took the decision to seek regular first-team football elsewhere, at a lower level. The quest to rescale the peak has taken him to Swansea City and I was interested to check up on his progress.
    Painter is a left-back who offers safety. Indeed, the first thing that struck me about his game was that he was quite brilliant on the cover. He twice made last-ditch tackles when the situation looked hopeless, one after just two minutes, and this showed that mentally, he was alert from the off. I know that Steve Bruce, the Birmingham manager, raved about his attitude and when I watched Painter, against Bournemouth, his preparation was spot on, as was his communication with others around him, and his ability to organise them.
    I liked the way that he got someone to mark in front, on throw-ins against or any dead-ball situations, which meant that the opposition rarely got the ball in to feet. Painter is a hands-on defender, in the literal sense of the term. He constantly messed about with his opponent, showing a physical presence to make life difficult, even when the ball was on the other side of the pitch. He was also very fast to support his left-winger and, once or twice, when the play was switched, he surprised me by making up ground so quickly, showing that he had seen the move develop early.
    Painter is not overly blessed with natural ability. When he was isolated in the final third, one-on-one with an opponent, he struggled to beat him while he must have forgotten to pack his shampoo, so reluctant was he to head the ball. This was alarming but he got around it by allowing his centre-half to attack anything on his side. He would then tuck in and drop off for anything flicked on. On another occasion, he went into a tackle with the wrong foot, preferring his stronger left, mis- timing the effort and being beaten easily.
    In the main, though, he defended well, rarely getting exposed and still finding the time to overlap his winger. I did think that his runs were more to divert the opposition than to receive the ball but he timed them well and his judgment was sound.
    I loved the way that he engaged the opposition right-winger high up the pitch, sometimes as far as 60 yards from his own goal, and his passing appreciation, while he was rarely under pressure, was good.
    Painter, a Republic of Ireland Under-21 international, might not boast great skill but I like players who think about the game and how best to use the attributes they have, even if they are more limited than others. Making it back to the Premier League, however, might be a step too far.
    Age 21
    Born Birmingham
    Position Left-back
    Height 6ft
    Weight 11st 6lb
    From Birmingham City
    Heading 6/10
    Attitude 8/10
    Tackling 7/10
    Passing 8/10
    Team Responsibility 9/10
    Valuation £125,000

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Thanks Joe.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    [QUOTE=joe_denilson;791691
    Painter is not overly blessed with natural ability.

Painter, a Republic of Ireland Under-21 international, might not boast great skill but I like players who think about the game and how best to use the attributes they have, even if they are more limited than others. Making it back to the Premier League, however, might be a step too far.
    [/QUOTE]

Jesus, talk about damning with faint praise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    He is very much a left-back rather than a CB and a promising young player. He does the basics very well and rarely lets the team down. I think he has a bright future, maybe not at the very top level but could see him becoming a Premiership regular in a few years' time, maybe with us even (or is that asking too much!).
    "Life is like a hair on a toilet seat. Sooner or later you are bound to get pi$$ed off."

"In this league, a draw is sometimes as good as a win" - Steve Morison

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Jesus, talk about damning with faint praise.
    Thought that myself. If he was blessed with natural ability he probably wouldn't be a left back

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    How many games has he played for the Under 21's?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backtowalsall View Post
    Thought that myself. If he was blessed with natural ability he probably wouldn't be a left back

i had him for ireland in a game of fm once. of limited use in that game.
    Superdave to the resc....

Can you wait til I finish my pint? Or else...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    I used to use Clive Clarke before i got fed up with it. Doctors seem to think there is a possibility he can play again, which I'm sure everyone will agree is great news. We could have done with him tonight, though i fear his international days might have passed him by now

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_...174559,00.html

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Painter got injured this weekend and will be out for 6 months. Pity, as I was hoping he would still improve over the next few years. And we don't have a lot of cover at left back.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot..._1/7691995.stm

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Big swinging mickey. He certainly will never be anywhere the international set-up

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    You might want to wish him a speedy recovery

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Hope he recovers soon. Sad to hear any player do it
    In Trap we trust

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    Big swinging mickey. He certainly will never be anywhere the international set-up
    It's hard to say that for definite. He's only 22, when Delaney and Whelan (2 recently established members of our squad) were at that age they were playing much further down the divisions than Painter is now. And it's not as ifwe're blessed with cover at left back. Our options seem to be:

Kilbane - committed, but he's 31
    Delaney - only 2 caps, but good potential
    O'Halloran - also only 2 caps, but has yet to play more than 1 match above League Two level.
    Harte - can't find a club
    Ward - not a natural left back, but could still develop.
    Sheehan - playing for Leeds.

So I hope Painter recovers, and continues to improve.