Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Anniversary of Bayern Munich Game.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Talking Anniversary of Bayern Munich Game.

Am I right in thinking that the 10th anniversary of the bayern match is coming up? If so there should be some small event to mark the occasion as it is one of our great moments.

I came back from Scotland for the match and I'll never forget the noise from the crowd after the goal. It was more like a shriek of disbelief mixed up with an orgasm of joy rather than the normal crowd roar.

Dowtcha Davey should be presented with a box of choclates or something similar at the home match nearest the anniversary date.

I also note that another great hero from those days Gerry McCabe is now available for managerial duties. One for the future maybe?

Another interesting reflection from those times is the almost permanent disaffection between supporters and board of the club. Those were the days of Plonk and the big issue at the time was the cost of a ticket for the match £8 for terrace I think. Loads of people stayed away in protest and I think there was only 5 - 6,000 at the match. While communication with supporters and the implementation of the Bishopstown saga was a disaster, at least it could be said for him that he had some vision and ambition. I think when you see how a proper job can be done for example at the greyhound track in combination with the completion of the southern ring road to Ballincollig it could have been a runner. Anyway this is old ground, the main thing is to have some celebration of a major success in our history, the day we held the mighty Bayern Munich to a draw in European Competition.

Gerry Desmond

Good one!

Nice idea, Northern Light! I plan to have an article in the programme at least, but I know you are talking about something bigger that the club might do to mark the occasion. We actually play Shels at home two days before the anniversary, so it would be cool to do something.
    On the programe front, anyone visiting here could mail me their memories from the day and I'll make a feature of that too if you like.
    Be grateful if anyone doing this would include their names as well as handles. Over to you: phootball.commers page for a day in the programme!! I just know Joe will be first in.
    **I'll give a free match ticket to the Shels game for the most interesting, unusual or funniest memory.
    My email is:
    gerrydesmond@hotmail.com

Gerry

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Exclamation Bayern Memory

I always thought the Galatassaray game had a much better atmosphere dispite the rain.

Abiding memory of the Bayern game was the small crowd on crap pitch cos as you said the tickets were too dear! I think there may have only been 4k at the game too as there definitely was a huge roar as you'd have at a packed cross.

Maybe Plonk would be more successful now with the govt grants 'n stuff & for all his swindling maybe ahead of his time.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Leonard
    All I remember from that day (apart from the goal and missing school) was the racist abuse heaped on the black Brazilian guy. Does this win me free tickets?

Gerry Desmond

Answer

(A) The memories are supposed to be emailed to me, not posted here!!!!
    There'll be no lovely surprise for programme readers otherwise....

(B) No, no ticket for Len! As there were two 'black Brazilian guys' on the pitch, your memory is obviously distorted by alcohol or you would have clearly identified which one of them it was!

Back to your Stewie Byrnes for more blatantly ficticious Bayern memories!

Gerry

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Wink What date?

What dates the anniversary?

I'll make sure i'm only drinking german beer for the day thats in it Will even forsake my addiction to belgian beer for the day!
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Gerry Desmond

Re: What date?

Originally posted by rebel
    What dates the anniversary?

I'll make sure i'm only drinking german beer for the day thats in it Will even forsake my addiction to belgian beer for the day!
    The actual 'anniversary' is 18 September. We play Shels at home the previous Sunday so I guess you can break out the Lowenbrau that weekend, rebel!

Gerry

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    what a day. i begged me mammy for da money for the ticket which i bought the day before from the sound store in oliver plunket street! i was like a dog when i arrived to see city in a new jersey as my "west germany" style city one was out of fashion then. i remenber going nuts when Davy scored da goal, and getting £20 off of Alan McInally as he promised me his Bayern jersey but gave it away to someone else! a great day

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Angry Alan McInally

That BAST&urd lived down the road from me in Ayr. You used to have to hide your pocket money in your socks from him. He probably stole the £20 off a blind orphan in a wheelchair.
    don't worry, they couldn't hit an elephant at this dis......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    i probably would have prefered the jersey but £20 quid was a lot of money to a 12 year old in 1991 i can tell ya, so Alan is alright by me!