Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    This thread was done ages ago.

Yes but some new people may have been born since then

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Eamonn Coughlan coming 4th twice was a scandal particularly as on one occasion one of the three blokes ahead of him much later on failed a dope test.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,236 Posts
    Shock horror as athletics person fails dope test.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Morbo View Post
    Ye can say "get over it" all ye want but the truth is that Keane will always be remembered as the only Irish player to ever walk out on his country before a world cup,
    Johan Cruijff
    Ruud Gullit
    Stefan Effenberg
    Bernd Schuster
    Edgar Davids
    Zlatko Zahovic

All the above walked out, refused to go or were sent home from major tournaments.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    718 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stojkovic View Post
    Johan Cruijff
    Ruud Gullit
    Stefan Effenberg
    Bernd Schuster
    Edgar Davids
    Zlatko Zahovic

All the above walked out, refused to go or were sent home from major tournaments.
    Zahovic's comments to his manager were very funny (from a neutral's point of view). "I can buy you, I can buy your house, your family, and I can buy that mountain we were running on during our preparations. You were a crap player, and you’re the same as a coach."

I can't (and couldn't at the time) help but think of
    "...You were a crap player and you are a crap manager..." which Keane is supposed to have yelled at McCarthy around the same time. Kindred spirits?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Johan Cruijff
    Ruud Gullit
    Stefan Effenberg
    Bernd Schuster
    Edgar Davids
    Zlatko Zahovic

I'm aware of that, thats why I used the qualifier "only IRISH player"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Morbo View Post
    I'm aware of that, thats why I used the qualifier "only IRISH player"
    I never said that you didnt.

I was merely trying to point out the fact that it happens in other countries as well, especially Holland (van Basten wanted to go home before he scored the hat-trick against England in 88 but Cruijff persauded him to stay).

If Ireland had qualified for more tournaments there would have been more rows (like the farce in Orlando in 94 with Setters)

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I never said that you didnt.

I was merely trying to point out the fact that it happens in other countries as well, especially Holland (van Basten wanted to go home before he scored the hat-trick against England in 88 but Cruijff persauded him to stay).

If Ireland had qualified for more tournaments there would have been more rows (like the farce in Orlando in 94 with Setters)
    Ok fair enough, I thought you were being a smart arse, my mistake.

Well anyway I'm just saying that Keane will always be remember for that even if other Irish players do something similar in the future, the fact that Ireland don't qualify for as many tournaments makes it a much bigger deal when someone pulls out, van Basten was a great player but he is as stubburn as Keane as he proved in last years World Cup when he refused to bring on Horseface when they badly needed a goal
    Last edited by Morbo; 02/10/2007 at 9:19 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Just after hearing Mario Rosenstock on Today FM going on about the show....it sounded very good, well up until they played a clip of that muppet Ryle Nugent wettng himself when they played God Save the Queen at Croker!
    Marge: Homer, the plant called. They said if you don't show up tomorrow don't bother showing up on Monday.
    Homer: Woo-hoo. Four-day weekend
    -
    Trappattoni+Tardelli+Brady=Holy Trinity of Irish Football

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    782 Posts
    I enjoyed the programme except there was too much of my hero Dunphy and Laughing Bill.

Most emotive (still): Saipan.

Saddest: Sale of Milltown (Dunphy was silent on the fact that he supported the sale) and seeing those old clips of the ground made me very nostalgic.

Heart breaker: Sonja O'Sullivan in Atlanta where for whatever reason she had to drop out when trailing behind the field in the final. It was the one of the few not teinted by controversy: just disappointment.

Much ado about nothing: Cascarino being adopted and not therefore having Irish genes.

Well worth watching.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    michelle smyth is innocent!!
    'How can I hate women, my Mums one!!!' Chris Finch

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    782 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by citizenerased View Post
    She still has her medals unlike Cian O'Connor . Interesting story about the tester calling at her home late one evening and the sample she gave having a huge whiskey content with the inference being she contaminated it.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Most embaressing= Saipan Our collective reaction(including me) lost all perspective.Bill with his "I am very much in the Keane camp" was a good indicator of the fact that we still have a childish and polarised attitude to the whole thing.On mature reflection Its obvious both men could have handled things better and would proably do so given the chance.

Most Heartbreaking=Sonia, that image of her trailing behind covered in sweat
    with a bewildered expression on her face.

After the horse has bolted=Kilcoynes should never have sold Milltown but why didnt those thousands of protestors turn up to the matches?

Most intriguing=Cian O Conner and the related break ins.Who would have both the motivation and the expertise to do this?Somebody please pm me if they have heard what the general conclusion is.What a mystery?Why has there not being more press investigation into such an intriguing chain of events?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by citizenerased
    True.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefo
    why didnt those thousands of protestors turn up to the matches?
    They did. Quoting thousands is OTT as well. The fans who protested, were the ones who went every fortnight.

Every club had poor attendances in those days, for mainly economic reasons, bar Derry. How many of them left their home ground because of it?
    Last edited by mypost; 30/10/2007 at 11:20 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Fair enough My Post.I was nt having a go at Rovers supporters but the maybe the wider football community could have done more to prevent Miltown being lost to Rovers and Irish football.For the record as a kid I use to love watching that Rovers team of the mid eighties.Off the top of my head

Jody Byrne,Kenny,McDonagh,Neville,Brady,Liam O Brien,Pat Byrne,Coady,Steedman(??) Campbell,Buckley sub Eccles Larkin, Byrne,King

I know I might be out by a couple of years with some of the players but they were def the best LOI side I have seen.Recall the beating Man Ure and Arsenal in friendlies and feeling very proud.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheifo View Post
    Most embaressing= Saipan Our collective reaction(including me) lost all perspective.Bill with his "I am very much in the Keane camp" was a good indicator of the fact that we still have a childish and polarised attitude to the whole thing.On mature reflection Its obvious both men could have handled things better and would proably do so given the chance.
    Most Heartbreaking=Sonia, that image of her trailing behind covered in sweat
    with a bewildered expression on her face.

After the horse has bolted=Kilcoynes should never have sold Milltown but why didnt those thousands of protestors turn up to the matches?

Most intriguing=Cian O Conner and the related break ins.Who would have both the motivation and the expertise to do this?Somebody please pm me if they have heard what the general conclusion is.What a mystery?Why has there not being more press investigation into such an intriguing chain of events?
    This is what i've been thinking all along. 2 grown men too stubborn to admit their mistakes for the sake of the world cup

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Fairly good show overall. Better than I expected. Does any one have the final list 1-20?

Some interesting extra information provided on the drug cheats. Not sure how some of the GAA ones included & that "whistle blown too early" was far too high up the list.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Much ado about nothing: Cascarino being adopted and not therefore having Irish genes.
    I didn't watch the programme, but that non-story made the list?
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheifo View Post
    Jody Byrne,Kenny,McDonagh,Neville,Brady,Liam O Brien,Pat Byrne,Coady,Steedman(??) Campbell,Buckley sub Eccles Larkin, Byrne,King

I know I might be out by a couple of years with some of the players but they were def the best LOI side I have seen.Recall the beating Man Ure and Arsenal in friendlies and feeling very proud.
    You remember them never progressing once in europe despite playing the Linfield and the champions of Cyprus (then much worse than us in terms f european results)?
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Fairly good show overall. Better than I expected. Does any one have the final list 1-20?

Some interesting extra information provided on the drug cheats. Not sure how some of the GAA ones included & that "whistle blown too early" was far too high up the list.
    The two games of GAA have the highest attendance figures in Ireland, of course they are going to shoehorn some of them into the list. The whistle blown up early was a very big story at the time as well, it changed the winners of the all-ireland that year and it was seen by many as part of a plot by the GAA to do Clare out of the All-Ireland that year.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast