Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Football Manager 2008

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jebus View Post
    I remember some guy boasting on Football365 of taking a team like Forrest Green to successive promotions through to the Premier League and then of getting 3rd spot in his first season without cheating as well
    Could have been one of those "Oh look I lost",*Finger accidentally slips whilst over the quit without saving button* replaying every match until a win although It'd probably take ages..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Red&White Rover View Post
    There was, but it died once everyone realised they couldn't keep up with me...
    No, just until Longford were surviving relegation and then all of a sudden the game "crashed" and games had to be played all over again
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blinkx View Post
    Could have been one of those "Oh look I lost",*Finger accidentally slips whilst over the quit without saving button* replaying every match until a win although It'd probably take ages..
    I'd say it was more a case of editing Forest Green's potential, having Newcastle buy a reserve keeper off of them for €30m every year, and replaying the odd game over

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    I've never brought a club from the very bottom to the Premier League before but in my current attempt I've gotten Newport County to the Championship from the Conference South. I only managed two back to back promotions though (winning the Conference and League 2). It took 11 seasons to go up 4 divisions. The Championship is impossible this year though.. I doubt I'll avoid relegation. I went up in the playoffs last year (from the last playoff spot) and I just don't have the quality to cut it at the higher level. Also my chairman accepts offers for my better players over my head. Very frustrating!

Has anybody here managed to actually do it (with no cheating obviously)?
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Never with the same club. I don't think it's possible, without cheating to take a club with a stadium capacity of 5k to the Premier League. Normally I start off in Conference South/North and take the team as far as I can go before leaving for a bigger club. Example in this game was,

took Cambridge City from Conference South to League 2 in 3 seasons, had them in 10th by Christmas and left to take over at Tranmere who were sitting 16th in League 2.

Finished 8th with Tranmere that season and went up the season after as runners up (Cambridge City got relegated).

Took me two years to get Tranmere to the Championship, had the league won with 2 games left and quit to take over at Nottm Forest who were languishing a few points out of the relegation zone in the Championship. Kept them up (only had to win one out of two games mind, probably didn't even have to win that in the end) and within two season had Forest back in the Prem

Normally it takes me two years to get out of a division from taking over. One to clear out the deadwood and get my own squad together, and the other to go up. Often I've gone up in successive promotions, but mostly it would take two seasons. In Football Manager 2007 I took Wednesday from Legaue One to the Premiership with back to back league wins, had them in 8th in December of my first season in the Prem and they sacked me for falling out with 3 of my players! One of the Swedes I had brought in (can't remember his name) was mouthing about not getting a game, I told him to shut up and wait his turn, this upset Tommy Spurr (fellow reserve) and Branamir Kostadinov (star striker), and the chairman sacked me! Still raging about it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Normally it takes me two years to get out of a division from taking over.
    Pah, that's nothing. I can normally get out of a division within 6 months of me taking over at a club.

Granted, I generally then get sacked for helping relegate them, but the principle should still not be sniffed at.
    That question was less stupid, though you asked it in a profoundly stupid way.

Help me, Arthur Murphy, you're my only hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    I bow to no one. bar Bluebeard and Mr A

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    On the old CM4, I took Doncaster from the Conference to what's now the Championship in straight seasons without cheating.

I also took Yeovil from the Conference to what's now League One in three seasons.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Never with the same club. I don't think it's possible, without cheating to take a club with a stadium capacity of 5k to the Premier League. Normally I start off in Conference South/North and take the team as far as I can go before leaving for a bigger club.
    I always get offers to leave Newport and go onto bigger clubs but I just can't bring myself to leave them..
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Should I take 1 point from my last 3 games I'll have taken Kettering from Blue Square North to League 1 in 5 seasons.

Season 1: Won Blue Square North.
    Season 2: Beaten Blue Square Premier Playoff Semi-finalists (penalties against Halifax).
    Season 3: Won Blue Square Premier.
    Season 4: Beaten League 2 Playoff finalists (Hammered 4-1 by Peterborough after a 1-0 home defeat against Northampton on the last day of the season saw me slide from 3rd to 5th).
    Season 5: Short of a catastrophic collapse will go up between 1st and 3rd (probably 2nd).

Not a massive achievement in some ways because Kettering are definitely better than the 6th tier. if I kept them in the 3rd I'd be quite impressed with myself.
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I left MK Dons after getting them promoted into League 1 for Dortmund, pushing for the Title now into my second season with the UEFA cup on the backburner after getting a tough draw with (Roma/Zeitnisburg(sp?)/Racing Club/Tottenham),now getting fierce abuse from the Fans for bringing in young potential players. No stop to it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    We should try setting up a network game and getting enough players to take over all the clubs in Conference North/South and see how it goes for a few seasons

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Defo be up for that. Dont think ive stayed that long in the Lower League's in England took ebbsfleet??? Up a few divison one year that was about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Yeah,I'd be up for it too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Network games are a nightmare in all honesty. We had one earlier for the eircom league and it was really slow to get through and eventually everyone gave up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Never been involed in one so cant comment, But seems to be a good bit of craic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sadloserkid View Post
    Should I take 1 point from my last 3 games I'll have taken Kettering from Blue Square North to League 1 in 5 seasons.

Season 1: Won Blue Square North.
    Season 2: Beaten Blue Square Premier Playoff Semi-finalists (penalties against Halifax).
    Season 3: Won Blue Square Premier.
    Season 4: Beaten League 2 Playoff finalists (Hammered 4-1 by Peterborough after a 1-0 home defeat against Northampton on the last day of the season saw me slide from 3rd to 5th).
    Season 5: Short of a catastrophic collapse will go up between 1st and 3rd (probably 2nd).

Not a massive achievement in some ways because Kettering are definitely better than the 6th tier. if I kept them in the 3rd I'd be quite impressed with myself.

I've done similar with Kettering, because they are one of the bigger non-league sides and certainly one of 2/3 capable of pulling 3k+ in the FCN it is much easier with them than virtually anyone else at that level. It also helps if you have a lot of leagues/countries open as there is a good chance of getting African/Eastern European players to come.
    From memory I missed promotion from TCN in season 1 went up as champions in season 2 went straight up from the conference the follwing season. A couple of seasons in league 2 followed by a majestic title winning season, unfortunately a lot of overseas players came to the end of contracts at the end of this season and they weren't keen to renew, so my first season in League 1 was a struggle and I started to lose motivation

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Never with the same club. I don't think it's possible, without cheating to take a club with a stadium capacity of 5k to the Premier League. Normally I start off in Conference South/North and take the team as far as I can go before leaving for a bigger club. Example in this game was,

took Cambridge City from Conference South to League 2 in 3 seasons, had them in 10th by Christmas and left to take over at Tranmere who were sitting 16th in League 2.

Finished 8th with Tranmere that season and went up the season after as runners up (Cambridge City got relegated).

Took me two years to get Tranmere to the Championship, had the league won with 2 games left and quit to take over at Nottm Forest who were languishing a few points out of the relegation zone in the Championship. Kept them up (only had to win one out of two games mind, probably didn't even have to win that in the end) and within two season had Forest back in the Prem

Normally it takes me two years to get out of a division from taking over. One to clear out the deadwood and get my own squad together, and the other to go up. Often I've gone up in successive promotions, but mostly it would take two seasons. In Football Manager 2007 I took Wednesday from Legaue One to the Premiership with back to back league wins, had them in 8th in December of my first season in the Prem and they sacked me for falling out with 3 of my players! One of the Swedes I had brought in (can't remember his name) was mouthing about not getting a game, I told him to shut up and wait his turn, this upset Tommy Spurr (fellow reserve) and Branamir Kostadinov (star striker), and the chairman sacked me! Still raging about it!

Typical Wednesday
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    how long does it take you guys to whizz through a season?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    Typical Wednesday

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker1982 View Post
    how long does it take you guys to whizz through a season?
    Depends how well I like the team I'm managing,ATM I could breeze through a season with Dortmund in about a week or so at 2-3 hours a day.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast