Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stephen Reid on the way back

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    I love Carsley but he's 33 and it's time to move on. Steven Reid is far younger and let's face it, we don't have that many central midfield players who have a shout at starting for a Premiership club. Stephen Ireland is the only one I can think of and I'm not sure his head is in the right place right now.

Potter really isn't starting at Wolves? I'm suprised, he was hyped as the next Steven Gerrard when he was at Liverpool and he looked nothing short of brilliant in the US tour.
    ?????????

Carsley's an awful, pathetic excuse for a midfielder. Have ye ever seen him show for a ball and then distribute it wisely - like any half decent midfielder would?? NO because he's afraid of the ball as he has no talent.

He just wants the opposition to have the ball so he can try and kick them - and he doesn't even succeed cause he's too slow. He's like the invisible man when playing for ireland.

He's a poor mans robbie savage
    Last edited by lionelhutz; 26/09/2007 at 9:43 AM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
    ?????????

Carsley's an awful, pathetic excuse for a midfielder. Have ye ever seen him show for a ball and then distribute it wisely - like any half decent midfielder would?? NO because he's afraid of the ball as he has no talent.

He just wants the opposition to have the ball so he can try and kick them - and he doesn't even succeed cause he's too slow. He's like the invisible man when playing for ireland.

He's a poor mans robbie savage
    I think that's a bit much, but he has certainly been completely off the pace for the last few games, especially against the Slovaks. He was ALWAYS in the wrong position and was defending too high up the pitch. It almost seemed like he was instructed to do so. He needs to be dropped again in my opinion. However, there wasn't really anyone else at the time who could take his place - S. Reid was injured, as was Garvan (I think). However, I reckon Stan will keep faith in him in the final 3 games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Carsley shoudl play against Germany but if we dont win or if the Czechs beat the Slovaks that night we should then not play him for the rest of the campaign and try Gibson Potter, Joey O Brien in that position.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    I may be a little off here but didnt Carsley and Graveson play almost continously in midfield the year Everton qualified for the Champions League. And wasnt Carsley out injured for most of the following season where Everton nearly got relegated. Carsley is a very very important player for Everton and has done his job admirably in central midfield for us, perhaps with the exception of Slovakia away. Then again his midfield partner for that game was Ireland who i feel should never be let near central midfield

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I was at the game in Slovakia and I thought Carsley did well considering he was trying to plug the gaps left by Ireland vacating the midfield.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    I was at the game in Slovakia and I thought Carsley did well considering he was trying to plug the gaps left by Ireland vacating the midfield.
    Thats essentially what i was trying to get across. Some people said he had a poor game in Slovakia but he was actually doing the work of 2 men as other than the goal Ireland was non existent

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    i thought carlsey was actually pretty good in both games to be honest (after a sober re-run of course).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    i'll have to rewatch the game but it looked to me as though he was playing too far up the field but perhaps it was because of him having to do the work of two players, as you say, due to ireland being in the midfield. I have to agree on that though - ireland is far too lightweight to be used in central midfield, at least away from home anyway. he should only play if he is playing in a more advanced role in a 3 man central midfield. the game often passes him by despite the fact that he was a good scoring record. i personally feel he's still to raw to be given a starting position for us when everyone is back fit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Joey O'Brien has come back to fitness at exactly the right time. I would like to see him and stephen reid or gibson as a midfield for the rest of the campaign

We need to look forard now, and Carsley is getting no younger. I am glad he has come back the way he has in the last year. He has been a star man, and i think he has finally cast off the shadow of that penalty that had dogged his international career (wrongly in my opinion) ever since.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backtowalsall View Post
    Joey O'Brien has come back to fitness at exactly the right time. I would like to see him and stephen reid or gibson as a midfield for the rest of the campaign
    I would too, but if (and only if) all 3 (or even 2 of them) were fit and playing regularly for their club in central midfield.

Quote Originally Posted by backtowalsall View Post
    We need to look forard now, and Carsley is getting no younger. I am glad he has come back the way he has in the last year. He has been a star man, and i think he has finally cast off the shadow of that penalty that had dogged his international career (wrongly in my opinion) ever since.
    He's getting no younger, but we're weak in that position, and until someone comes through we're going to need someone experienced at the wheel in central midfield, so I reckon he'll play through the next campaign, and retire then.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I would play him against Germany with Andy Reid but if we dont win or if we are out of the campaign by the time we play Cyprus on the Wed I would not play Carsley or Robbie Keane in that game.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    I would play him against Germany with Andy Reid but if we dont win or if we are out of the campaign by the time we play Cyprus on the Wed I would not play Carsley or Robbie Keane in that game.
    Who would you put up top? I wouldn't mind seeing Keogh getting a start against Cyprus.
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Yeah probably Keogh and Doyle and then bring on Long at half time against Cyprus.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    Yeah probably Keogh and Doyle and then bring on Long at half time against Cyprus.

A certain "Green Hornet" would be very pleased!!!
    Tact is for people who are not witty enough to be sarcastic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    On second thoughts dont put him in the squad at all.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    so any more news on s. reid? i haven't seen him on the bench yet i don't think.
    zombie/thread killer..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12