Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sean Kingston's Beautiful Girls "Banned" ...your view?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts

Sean Kingston's Beautiful Girls "Banned" ...your view?

A RADIO station has banned a controversial song dealing with suicide from its playlist following a flood of complaints from listeners.

Dublin music station FM104 said that with the rate of suicide among young people at an all-time high, it felt it was no longer appropriate to air Sean Kingston's 'Beautiful Girls'. Meanwhile, 2FM confirmed last night that the song is also not on its playlist.

The song, which deals with unrequited love, has spent the last month at the top of the Irish and British single charts. However, there have been growing calls internationally for it to be pulled from television and radio playlists.

Kingston, a 17-year-old reggae-pop star, sings: "You're way too beautiful girl/That's why it'll never work/ You'll have me suicidal, suicidal/ When you say it's over."

The Broadcasting Complaints Commission is also looking closely at the song having received a number of complaints about it in recent days
    MORE HERE

Personally I'd probably have banned it just for being a chavvy piece of so called R'n'B/Urban claptrap. Vile record from a vile genre and all that. BUT... is this not all a bit silly?

Where do we stop? Songs that mention Suicide by name (M*A*S*H* Theme/Simon & Garfunkel?) or hint at it (I Can't Live -Nillson/Mariah Carey ...please please please please YES) ....and why stop at suicide? why not have a whole raft of other records that promote, refer, acknowledge or provide other sideways nods to felonious or socially unacceptable behaviour struck from the playlists as well?

Off the top of my head such a list would have to include...

The Dubliners - Weila Waile. Because: Infanticide.

The Wolfe Tones - entire back catalogue. Because: Sedition/Incitement to hatred/reckless promotion of leather waistcoats.

Roy Orbison -I Drove All Night. Because: he drove all night. no refs to regular fifteen minute stops.

Nick Cave - Where The Wild Roses Grow -Because: romanticises pre-meditated homicide ...though what sane person hasn't pondered rocking Kylie Minogues head in at some point in the last twenty years?

That last one actually brings me neatly to a salient point. Surely Australian soap operas shouldn't be exempt from a cull of media that endorses or romanticises errant behaviour. I've heard educators, linguists and child psychologists complain about Home and Away doing measurable damage to youngsters communicative and conflict resolution skills.

Also -if we're to go down this path I'd like to put myself forward as arbiter. I'll cast a broad net, weild an even stroke of a keen scythe and hold all before me in equal contempt.
    Last edited by Lionel Ritchie; 22/09/2007 at 8:41 AM.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie View Post

The Wolfe Tones - reckless promotion of leather waistcoats.
    lol
    Galway United - Connacht Champions 2008

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    What utter Nazism by the radio stations.

I personally think the song is terrible and will not be sad to not have to listen to it but it is ridiculous that a song which simply mentions the word is banned.

It is just simply sweeping the problem under the table. These people clearly need help. Finding someway to reach out to them would be much more helpful than banning every song that mentions suicide. Advertising support services every commercial break would be muh better, imo.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Was actually a bit disturbed to hear a group of kids aged between 7 & 12 at our game friday nite singing that song. Only cottoned on when they sang the bit about suicide. Not sure banning it is the way to go but I do think it was a bit irresponisble of the record company considering the young lad that sings it and the style of song is going to be marketed at the kids.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I dont think it should be banned myself, it never occured to me really even though i have heard it more times than i have ever wanted too. There is a fairly upbeat tempo to it anyways.
    I personally think it should be banned for the line that goes something like, "when i went away for doing my first crime," he is 17 ffs. Pure tripe and a rape of a good song.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    you've mentioned the wolfetones there.... when have you ever heard there songs been played?.... there songs have been banned for years!!
    There's the right way, the wrong way.... and the Max Power way!! :-D

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    hank God they've banned it, absolutely terrible song.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by adamcarr View Post
    hank God .
    These country music stars and their egos...

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    The Police's Can't Stand Losing You was never banned, which is explicitly about suicide. Stupid PC hype.

Edit - in fact, never read the link I posted! It was banned originally. Still, agree with those saying that rap, etc, trivialises a lot of unsavoury behaviour, and there's no reason to ban this song over any other.
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 23/09/2007 at 7:13 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    **** song

On the suicide matter, alot more needs to be done to decrease the trend. There is always an answer to your problem is all people say, they need mroe help than that.
    I can understand it being banned as with young people they idolise these so called "stars" and some even copy them a la say they fell suicidal

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilberto_eire View Post
    you've mentioned the wolfetones there.... when have you ever heard there songs been played?.... there songs have been banned for years!!
    I concede I knew that. Jeez you try to add a little colour to a point and the fact-police get their truncheons out.

Actually I find it the height of hypocracy that the radio stations are happy to take The Wolfe Tones money to advertise their tours but won't play their stuff. Now I appreciate that on a purely commercial level there's little imperative to play them but still... I'm fairly sure if the WTs loyalist mirror image (Platoon or Brigadoon or whatever they're called) tried to buy radio ads down here to promote some appearance or other a way would be found to frustrate them.

As for Sean Kingston ...heard it on the radio last night (today FM I'm guessing) and it is no more nor less vile than the vast, vast majority of records of it's ilk ....all the usual passive sociopathic and criminality reference b0ll0cks the knacks love and sounding like it was recorded on an old philips tape recorder. I'm sure it features prominently on many a stolen Ipod. Time was when you'd a good long war every 15 or 20 years to thin their feckin ranks out.

Now I'm away to lie down ...I appear to have taken one of my periodic lurches to the right.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie View Post
    Time was when you'd a good long war every 15 or 20 years to thin their feckin ranks out.

Funny 'cos it's true.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Would be delighted if there was a widespread ban simply cos its an absolutely awful song but don't think its any worse than many others.

Songs regularly trivialise death, murder, prostitution, drug addiction etc without being banned I don't see why suicide should be any different.

But ban it anyway

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I heard its been re-issued with in deni-al in place of suicid-al.
    City definetly have the best bands playing at half-time.

O'Bama - "Eerah yeah, I'd say we can alright!"

G.O'Mahoney Trapattoni'll sort ém out!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Magicme View Post
    Was actually a bit disturbed to hear a group of kids aged between 7 & 12 at our game friday nite singing that song. Only cottoned on when they sang the bit about suicide.
    I've always found something really wrong with country folk acting the African-American myself

Time was when you'd a good long war every 15 or 20 years to thin their feckin ranks out.
    "Thanks a lot Warren Christopher"

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alansmithccfc View Post
    On the suicide matter, alot more needs to be done to decrease the trend. There is always an answer to your problem is all people say, they need mroe help than that.
    Banning a song will do nothing, bar boost it's sales though. Woeful song, that really doesn't need to sell more!

You are right of course about suicide, more people die by committing suicide than die on the roads, particularly young men. Yet Suicide prevention struggles to get funding to a tiny percentage of what is spent by Gaybo, Noel Brett and the other dicks in the RSA.

Lionel - you missed every song by Suicide
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    424 Posts
    Does banning a song for using the word 'suicidal' not just add to the stigma? I admit it's a bit odd to make such a poppy record about such a serious topic, but, it has brought new life to the suicide issue in Ireland from what I can see.

If anything the song could be seen as an attempt to reach out and admit to feelings that would otherwise be repressed. Isn't it usually the people who never mention suicide that kill themselves? I'm not sure of the facts, but, I can't see this kind of censorship helping anybody.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    Does banning a song for using the word 'suicidal' not just add to the stigma? I admit it's a bit odd to make such a poppy record about such a serious topic, but, it has brought new life to the suicide issue in Ireland from what I can see.

If anything the song could be seen as an attempt to reach out and admit to feelings that would otherwise be repressed. Isn't it usually the people who never mention suicide that kill themselves? I'm not sure of the facts, but, I can't see this kind of censorship helping anybody.
    I've long thought that any of the soap operas could be massively improved by the addition of a kindly grandfather figure who always and without exception advised suicide when someone poured their heart out to him.

Can't you picture some auld fellah in Emmerdale scratching his chin and going, "ave you ever considered sooh-ee-cide luv? They say it's painless and brings on many changes y'noh"

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Anyone remember 3rd rate indie band "Kingmaker" in the early 90's?

Their lead singer (Loz?) tended to bang on about a desire to commit suicide in interviews where many would gladly have done the job for him.

He wrote this below which appeared on their "Idiots at the wheel EP".

No idea if he ever did top himself.

Every Teenage Suicide

Three minutes time
    My well will run dry
    No need to cry or feel sorrow

The moon is a jewel
    But it shines like a fool
    I can't really face tomorrow

Suicide

Stood on a chair
    Soon I'll hang in the air
    Swinging from the lamp by a noose

Blackest of thoughts
    God knows I have fought
    But alive I don't feel any use

Suicide

Finally cracked
    I'm down on the tracks
    My head is lined up with the wheels

Tried to be loved
    Find a force from above
    Below is always how I feel

Suicide
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    I used quite like Kingmaker actually. Ten Years Asleep was a class song. Though it might as well have actually been The Wonderstuff it sounded so similar.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast