Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sven Goran Eriksson

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sven Goran Eriksson

the former lazio great has taken the reigns at Manchester City less than a year after leaving the England post- the less said about that the better. will he flop or restore any honour to his name?

personally i tip city for the drop this year.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Makes you wonder how thick some people are

Might try for that second FAI coaching badge, maybe I could manage someday, if someone like Sven can, i def can!!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    hell, if sven can manage england, surely some of us can take over brazil or france or someone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Eriksson's only failure was that he didn't win anything with England. Let's see how well McClaren does now. The team qualified for every tournament and made the quarter finals on every attempt. If people didn't buy into how good the English media make England out to be they'd see he wasn't as abd as people make him out to be.

Two things went against him when he was English manager: The media building up the team to insane extent (I remember John Desborough actually planning England's 2006 trip to the final on Sky News when the groups were drawn) and the fact that he wasn't English.

Eriksson's had a very good club career. He had a very strong team at Sampdoria that were unlucky not to better and a similar thing happened at Lazio.

He is a good manager. The English media just never gave him a chance.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by superfrank View Post
    Eriksson's only failure was that he didn't win anything with England. Let's see how well McClaren does now. The team qualified for every tournament and made the quarter finals on every attempt. If people didn't buy into how good the English media make England out to be they'd see he wasn't as abd as people make him out to be.

Eriksson's had a very good club career. He had a very strong team at Sampdoria that were unlucky not to better and a similar thing happened at Lazio.

He is a good manager. The English media just never gave him a chance.

do you not look at much football???
    World cups are a doddle!

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Agree with what superfrank said. Eriksson proved before he is a quality manager. He has money to spend at City so he can add to the few quality players there at the moment. They'll be high bottom half at worst.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DmanDmythDledge View Post
    Agree with what superfrank said. Eriksson proved before he is a quality manager. He has money to spend at City so he can add to the few quality players there at the moment. They'll be high bottom half at worst.

Quality? ah jeez guys take a reality check
    He did nothing with England, to get to finals and then do nothing isnt good enough for England. You can always be guaranteed that England will appoint a rubbish manager, but could you imagine if they had a Scholari etc, they might actually win something
    What has Sven won of note? really, any CL titles?
    I guess this coming season will finally put the cat amongst the pigeons

Football is not rocket science..............it can be a simple game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    He did nothing with England, to get to finals and then do nothing isnt good enough for England. You can always be guaranteed that England will appoint a rubbish manager, but could you imagine if they had a Scholari etc, they might actually win something
    This just about sums up what I said in my earlier post. Are England really as good as the English media would have us believe?

Bobby Robson has been one of the best managers for years now and he took England to the 4th in the world. Unless the WC goes back to England I don't think they'll have a good chance at winning it. The players aren't good enough and whatever manager that takes the job will struggle for support with the media there. I'm sure this is the case in all countries, as it is here, but it seems to happen to an insane extent in England.

Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt
    do you not look at much football???
    Yes I do. It's because I watch lots of different matches, etc. that I knew Eriksson was a good manager before he took over at England.
    Extratime.ie

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    What has Sven won of note? really, any CL titles?
    Is the Serie A good enough for you?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Sven was a good manager in his day. He wasn't good at England though, not in my opinion anyway.

It wasn't so much his record which was poor, three quarter-finals is reasonable enough, but some of his decisions were absolutely baffling, such as taking Theo Walcott to the World Cup and then not playing him. Also his tactics never really worked out and he struggled to find a successful plan B when his plan A didn't work. Things like putting Beckham in the DM role to try and play 40-yard passes were never going to work against top class defences.

Whilst I agree that the English media (and players!) were guilty of ridiculous over-hyping of their squad, I also think a better manager would have achieved more over three campaigns or at least nurtured a side that played better football.

That said, McClaren his replacement has hardly covered himself in glory so the jury is ultimately out. I am a bit skeptical as to how he will fare in the Premiership too. And with the Thai bloke Shinawatra as their owner I feel Man City are taking a huge gamble. It might pay off-or they could be another Leeds.
    "Life is like a hair on a toilet seat. Sooner or later you are bound to get pi$$ed off."

"In this league, a draw is sometimes as good as a win" - Steve Morison

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Bobby Robson lost the dressing room during Italia 1990, it was the players that took over

England with the squad they have should have done much better
    Portugal that knocked them out were only a one mam team (Figo), and were rubbish really

Anyway there really is a simple answer to this.............the coming season, then we will have a good idea of how great Sven is

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Forget about Svens England results. He wasn't a great manager for Lazio either.

Yes he was successful but he also put the club in millions upon millions of debt. He destroyed them in the end.
    The Hallion Battalion Molests football.:D

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Superfrank is spot on here. SGE was a very good club manager (that's how he got the job in the first place) people (England fans especially) forget how crap England were when he took over, I remember Howard Wilkinson (Then the FA Technical Director) saying England shold forget the Japan world cup and concentrate on Euro 2004.... Erikson got them to the last 8 of a world cup the FA admitetd they had given up on qualifying for!!
    He did make mistakes and his squad selection for the last world cup, Walcott & 2 unfit strikers was a shambles but in general England achieved 3 top 8 finishes in major championships which is about right for the squad they have. Once you get to knock-out stages luck plays a part, Ronaldinhos goal in 2002 was a fluke, twice losing in penalty shoot outs....
    I still think he will struggle at City unless he has a lot of cash to spend because their squad is paper thin.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    England has a good squad and lesser squads have done better.

Greece for example in the last Euros.

Lets look at the England team

Robinson - Good keeper, but not exceptional

RB- Gary Neville - As good a RB as your gonna get
    LB - Cole - Personally i think he is over rated, but he is reckoned to be the best in the Premiership..
    CB - Rio Ferdinand - World Class defender
    CB - John Terry - World Class Defender
    RM - David Beckham - World Class RM
    LM - Joe Cole - Not world class in this position, but still very good)
    CM - Gerrard - World Class
    CM - Lampard - Supposidly world class, but I disagree
    ST - Rooney - World class and a great all-round player
    ST - Owen - World Class if kept fit.

Then theirs the following players as well

Crouch - Good player, but no world beater
    Jamie Carragher - Great player
    Owen Hargreaves - Greater player
    Carrick - Good player(no world beater)
    Andy Johnston - Good player
    Aaron Lennon - Good player, potential to be world class
    Wright Phillips - Good player
    Darren Bent - Good player
    Downey - Good player(will never be world class)
    Wayne Bridge - Another good player.

My point is England have their fair share of world class players. They have a squad full of good players. Their isn't a bad player that plays for them.

If a manager cannot get a squad of that calibre and do better than quarter finals in 3 attempts, then that is down to the poor coaching on Svens part.

Incidently my England team would be(if everyone is fit)

GK David James(does have the odd howler but I think he is more capable than Robinson)

RB - Neville, good defender and great going forward
    LB - Cole - Good going forward
    CB - Terry - Great defender and true world class
    CB - Ferdinand - Great defender and has a touch of class when on the ball.

RM - Beckham - The best passer of the ball in the world and has a great worth ethic
    LM - Joe Cole, very good player and can win you a game
    AM - Gerrard - The best midfielder available to England.
    DM - Hargreaves - Great tackler, good passer, good speed, runs all day, breaks up play well and can beat a man when going forward.

FW - Rooney - has good control and all round play

ST - Owen, our most deadliest finisher and can score goals for fun if given the opportunities.

To clear up the Rooney and Owen roles. Rooney would play just in front of the midfield but behind Owen so to link up between the midfield to the strike force.

Their is no reason that team could go on to Win the European championships. The only thing stoppign them is poor tactics and poor preperation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Firstly, we're back to "World Class" deffinitions here but I would say if you had to pick a world cup squad (ie. 23 players) from any players in the world who would be in the squad or very close.
    Personally I think there are 2 possible world class players in the England squad, Rooney & Gerrard apart from them there are a lot of decent players but there is much more hype & hot air than actual ability.
    Robinson is barely international standard, in the premiership he is probably 7th or 8th in the standings.
    Terry is a battler, no pace & not a great reader of the game, Chelsea miss Carvalaho much more when he is out. Rio Ferdinand switches off so often it's hard to know when he's actually "on", Cole is the most over-rated player in the league, the lack of left sided players have meant he has basically become much more valuable than his ability would normally allow. Gary Neville is a solid dependable right back, I can think of half a dozen in the world who would be ahead of him and a dozen more at least as good, including our very own Steve Finnan.
    In midfield Fat Fwank is second only to Cole in being overrated, at Chelsea the whole team is set up around his one skill, arriving late in the box getting on the end of crosses, to be honest Scholes was and still is better at this and if he wasn't in his 30's with one eye on retirement he'd be ahead of Lampard in the England set up.
    Gerrard as I mentioned is top top class, although he is still more energy than ability I'd have him as a proper leader in midfield. Lennon is quick, but got found out a lot in the EPL this season, certainly nowhere near the standard required for world class, Ronaldo & Messi are in a different league to anything England have, Hargreaves, Carrick, very tidy players but how many top international sides would they get in the midfield of, Brazil? Argentina? Italy?
    Beckham has never been even close to world class, he is a great crosser of the ball and takes a good set piece, he can't beat players for pace, he isn't a tricky winger, his distrobution is average at best (apart from his crossing) he's very honest and always gives 100% but so do most of the guys in my sunday league side.
    Up front England are woefully short, Rooney yes on form on fire makes things happen from nothing, a rare breed. Apart from him Owen is shot, injury prone and considering his whole game was based on pace I would be amazed if he's ever anymore than 70% the player he once was, apart from him Crouch, Defoe, Bent, Johnson...... all decent players but against top class defenders like Canavaro & Nesta they would be found wanting.
    SGE was not perfect but having to deal with unrealistic expectations based on the hype generated by Sky was the biggest obstacle.
    Incidentally do you think any England manager would have been allowed play football the way Greece did?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by endabob1 View Post
    Firstly, we're back to "World Class" deffinitions here but I would say if you had to pick a world cup squad (ie. 23 players) from any players in the world who would be in the squad or very close.
    Personally I think there are 2 possible world class players in the England squad, Rooney & Gerrard apart from them there are a lot of decent players but there is much more hype & hot air than actual ability.
    Robinson is barely international standard, in the premiership he is probably 7th or 8th in the standings.
    Terry is a battler, no pace & not a great reader of the game, Chelsea miss Carvalaho much more when he is out. Rio Ferdinand switches off so often it's hard to know when he's actually "on", Cole is the most over-rated player in the league, the lack of left sided players have meant he has basically become much more valuable than his ability would normally allow. Gary Neville is a solid dependable right back, I can think of half a dozen in the world who would be ahead of him and a dozen more at least as good, including our very own Steve Finnan.
    In midfield Fat Fwank is second only to Cole in being overrated, at Chelsea the whole team is set up around his one skill, arriving late in the box getting on the end of crosses, to be honest Scholes was and still is better at this and if he wasn't in his 30's with one eye on retirement he'd be ahead of Lampard in the England set up.
    Gerrard as I mentioned is top top class, although he is still more energy than ability I'd have him as a proper leader in midfield. Lennon is quick, but got found out a lot in the EPL this season, certainly nowhere near the standard required for world class, Ronaldo & Messi are in a different league to anything England have, Hargreaves, Carrick, very tidy players but how many top international sides would they get in the midfield of, Brazil? Argentina? Italy?
    Beckham has never been even close to world class, he is a great crosser of the ball and takes a good set piece, he can't beat players for pace, he isn't a tricky winger, his distrobution is average at best (apart from his crossing) he's very honest and always gives 100% but so do most of the guys in my sunday league side.
    Up front England are woefully short, Rooney yes on form on fire makes things happen from nothing, a rare breed. Apart from him Owen is shot, injury prone and considering his whole game was based on pace I would be amazed if he's ever anymore than 70% the player he once was, apart from him Crouch, Defoe, Bent, Johnson...... all decent players but against top class defenders like Canavaro & Nesta they would be found wanting.
    SGE was not perfect but having to deal with unrealistic expectations based on the hype generated by Sky was the biggest obstacle.
    Incidentally do you think any England manager would have been allowed play football the way Greece did?
    I have to say, their isn't much their I agree with. So instead of me debating the bits I disagree with, I will tell you what I do agree with.

1) Robinson is a decent keeper but not a great keeper, I definately agree with you, barely international standard. James is a better option IMO

2)Ashly Cole is over-rated

3)Lennon, isn't world class, I do agree, but I think he has the potential to be.

I don't know if you picked up on my wording in a previous post when I said "The best midfielder available to England". Which refered to IMO Scholes who is the best English midfielder.

The rest I have to be honest, I disagree with you, but then that's football for you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    T'would be a dull world if we all agreed

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by endabob1 View Post
    T'would be a dull world if we all agreed
    It would be a very easy world if everyone would agree with me because I'm always right

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Damn Steve you got there before me..........I as going to mention Greece, proof that it doesnt take a lot to go far in international football

By the way, Im only going on what I saw for myself, that England with a decent squad, did under achieve constantly with Sven

ye guys are going on about his club titles, etc, fair enough
    but im waiting for ye then to tell me why he was so good................training skills, tactical genius, dressing room banter? ..............what were his skills? cause ye are only going on what you read, not what you saw!

by the way.................Real Madrid are after getting a cracking manager today!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    ye guys are going on about his club titles, etc, fair enough
    but im waiting for ye then to tell me why he was so good................training skills, tactical genius, dressing room banter? ..............what were his skills? cause ye are only going on what you read, not what you saw!

by the way.................Real Madrid are after getting a cracking manager today!!
    How do you know???

I've watch Serie A for many years and back when Eriksson was coach at Sampdoria in the mid 90's, he put together a very strong team at an unfashionable club. They played proper attacking football and any outsider would think they over-achieved. After these initial brushes with relative sucess (high table finishes, Coppa Italia in '94), he was "promoted" to a top club in '97, Lazio.

Tere he brought in the players that had helped him so much at Sampdoria. Veron, Mihajlovic, Mancini. By signing Mancini he annoyed a lot of Lazio fans as Mancini, 33 at the time, was considered too old. Yet Mancini was a good signing. He was bankrolled at Lazio but he still bought players that did the job. He won 2 Coppa Italias ('98 & 2000), the Cup Winner's Cup ('99) and Serie A (2000) at Lazio.

That is what I know of his managerial career before England and that is why he got the England job. As you know in international football you're stuck with what you've got, Eriksson's skills seem to be getting players in that he knows will do the job. He's clearly more suited to club management. So don't judge him before he's even managed one game at English club level.
    Extratime.ie

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast