Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retiring players?

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts

Retiring players?

Does anyone reckon that players like Carsley, Kilbane, and Carr are close to being done at the international level? Difficult to see a 36 year old Lee Carsley anchoring the midfield in the summer of 2010. Is it better to drop our older players who won't likely take part in the next qualifying campaign and start blooding the young players now?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    I think Carr retired before, didn't he (and then came out of retirement)?
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    Does anyone reckon that players like Carsley, Kilbane, and Carr are close to being done at the international level? Difficult to see a 36 year old Lee Carsley anchoring the midfield in the summer of 2010. Is it better to drop our older players who won't likely take part in the next qualifying campaign and start blooding the young players now?
    carsley - yes
    kilbane - no
    carr - probably

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Well if we are building for the future as we are constantly being told, he'll have to phase out Carsley. I'd say Carsley is fazed out himself. Bloody hell, another campaign down the tubes.
    'And Crouch must score'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Carsley has to go. Killer can stay in the squad as back up for LB.
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Carsley walked before. I was happy to see him gone. All of a sudden people clamoured for his return, and since coming back, he has failed to make me think any different. Looked like he'd retired from all football during the Slovakia game.

Aside him, I have a fair idea of a few players I would like to invite to retire.

And a manager.
    Last edited by Bluebeard; 13/09/2007 at 10:38 AM. Reason: When I said one thing, I of course meant another
    That question was less stupid, though you asked it in a profoundly stupid way.

Help me, Arthur Murphy, you're my only hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    I bow to no one. bar Bluebeard and Mr A

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yeah I was just going to say there was an unbelievable OTT clamour for his return. It was required at the time but he has always been a limited player. Funny how short people's memory's are....
    Top Breeders recommend drinkfeckarse....

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Regardless of his retirement plans, last night should be the end of Carsley's Ireland career.

It is quite clear that this season will be his last at Everton. He has a Down's Syndrome child and he wishes to return to live in the midlands for reasons related to his care. Due to this concern, he was only just persuaded to sign a new contract for this year by David Moyes. I'd expect to see him at a Championship club come next season. In light of this, and his age, I would think most appropriate action would be to give the younger lads (gibson/potter/garvan..etc) game time in the remaining competitive games in this campaign.

Although I think Carsley did a good job since his return. He should have played in Germany and Cyprus

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ofjames View Post
    I'd expect to see him at a Championship club come next season. In light of this, and his age, I would think most appropriate action would be to give the younger lads (gibson/potter/garvan..etc) game time in the remaining competitive games in this campaign.
    I agree, but if we are stuck for the a defensive midfielder in the qualifiers next year I'd draft him in. But do we really want to be stuffed by Germany if he's not playing?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Carsley will retire again.

I don't see any value in dropping old players as its not as if too many young players queuing up get into the squad or the team. Always pick the best team & let the clubs develop players.

I must say I thought Kilbane was done for but he proven himself again this week especially last Saturday.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Carsley said in the press that he won't retire again. When he no longer gets picked is when he'll stop playing.

I hope Finnan stays on. Very fit & athletic still.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Finnan was badly missed for both games, really hope he doesn't jack it in.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Carsley cleared up any residue over his past retirement and made sure it was know he was available for the qualifiers. He was dignified in his behaviour before he was recalled. Like wise he deserves plaudits for the way he 100% applied himself to the CM role. Personally I am glad he came back and got a decent runout in the team.
    Even with hindsight and considering all the injuries, his selection was justified for all the games.

Do we hang on to him as first choice even for the next 3 games or blood someone else.?

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    I doubt Carsley will be around for the next campaign, likewise with Carr. Players like Garvan, O'Brien, Potter, O'Halloran will take their places. Kilbane will be around, hopefully as a left back, not a midfielder.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Carsley cleared up any residue over his past retirement and made sure it was know he was available for the qualifiers. He was dignified in his behaviour before he was recalled. Like wise he deserves plaudits for the way he 100% applied himself to the CM role. Personally I am glad he came back and got a decent runout in the team.
    Even with hindsight and considering all the injuries, his selection was justified for all the games.

Do we hang on to him as first choice even for the next 3 games or blood someone else.?
    blood in Garvan/Potter/Gibson. Waste of time Carsley playing in any of them games IMO. We aren't going to qualify so lets build for the future and give them game time.
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    We aren't going to qualify but the games are still a lot more important than a friendly since a 3rd place finish should give us a slightly easier World Cup qualifying group and we should field our strongest availble team for the remaining games.
    I'd wait until a friendly before playing Gibson but I'd consider giving Garven or Potter a run out before then, at least as a substitute.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Think Carsley will defo pack it in.
    Maybe Carr as well.
    Think Kilbane will stick around.
    Hope Finnan doesn't go.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    We're almost certain to be a 3rd seed. It doesn't depend on our final placing in this group. There's a thread running on the topic of our seeding coefficient.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Maybe a bit of both. Would it be fair to blood a young player without an experienced partner, especially against Frings & Ballack?

We have no Duff or Hunt for remaining games in all likelihood so I think it may make sense for Reid to move wide.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 14/09/2007 at 1:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Maybe a bit of both. Would it be fair to blood a young player without an experienced partner, especially against Frings & Ballack?
    sink or swim time. Carsley isn't going to make a bit of difference anyway going by Wednesday's performance!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast