Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Souness as a pundit

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts

Souness as a pundit

Saw him last night on the Premiership. Ignoring the usual anti-referee stuff that all professionals come out with and who don't appreciate what an impossible job it is, I thought he was really insightful (Man U players coming to the ball as opposed to making runs) and made a host of other interesting comments and was ably supported by Trevor Steven. Darragh Maloney did well also as the man in the chair: he seems to know his stuff. Proved to me that you don't have to have a panelist with a face like a slapped ars* and be controversial for the sake of being controversial to make for an interesting panel discussion.

Could we not have a "neutral" panelist like him for our international games to balance Father Time and the Mouth Almighty and dispense with the laughing chairman who doesn't have the wherewithall to contradict any ludicrous or contradictory statements made.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

reder
    The pair of them actually were a breath of fresh air tbh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Not a fan of Trevor Steven to be honest but I thought, and still think, that Souness was a revelation on RTE during last year's World Cup. The real difference between what you are/are not allowed say on British TV, about British players is really put into focus when you watch Souness on RTE, then watch him on Sky. Over there he's forced to reduce himself to the usual 'all Brits are great, the Premiership is the best' tripe that Sky, ITV and to a lesser extent the BBC put out, over here he's allowed say Rooney hasn't been playing well, the Premiership may not be the best and Gerrard isn't going to single-handedly win the Champions League and Premiership for Liverpool this year

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jebus View Post
    Not a fan of Trevor Steven to be honest but I thought, and still think, that Souness was a revelation on RTE during last year's World Cup. The real difference between what you are/are not allowed say on British TV, about British players is really put into focus when you watch Souness on RTE, then watch him on Sky. Over there he's forced to reduce himself to the usual 'all Brits are great, the Premiership is the best' tripe that Sky, ITV and to a lesser extent the BBC put out, over here he's allowed say Rooney hasn't been playing well, the Premiership may not be the best and Gerrard isn't going to single-handedly win the Champions League and Premiership for Liverpool this year
    Even over there, he pushes the envelope far more than the other pundits. I think he enjoyed the freedom he got on RTE for the World Cup.

He seems to be a decent pundit anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    Even over there, he pushes the envelope far more than the other pundits. I think he enjoyed the freedom he got on RTE for the World Cup.

He seems to be a decent pundit anyway.
    It's not the pushing the boat (or envelope) out that I enjoy, it's the insightful comments that he makes about tactics etc.

Jebus, why don't you like Trevor Steven? You know he was the Agent for Steve McLean, the ex-Wednesday player. I met him at a function in Dublin about 3 years back and had a great chat about Everton and Wednesday and English football in general and I have exchanged e-mails with him off and on.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    It's not the pushing the boat (or envelope) out that I enjoy, it's the insightful comments that he makes about tactics etc.
    I understand that, but frankly, those kind of comments aren't made on English TV just because Ian Wright is a moron, they're not made because they're often critical, which seems to be an unacceptable stance on SKY and other British stations.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Souness is excellent. When Sky do Champions League he puts the others to shame (and even their CL coverage is far above their premiership with Wilkins and Gullit smashing Gray and Redknapp)

Stevens is OK but I wouldn't have him above Brady, Souness or Giles
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post

Jebus, why don't you like Trevor Steven?
    Ah its nothing personal, I just find his voice very mundane and so have trouble focusing on what he is actually saying to be honest, that's probably more my own fault than anything, but the fact is that I generally switch the mind off whilst Trevor is talking

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    I understand that, but frankly, those kind of comments aren't made on English TV just because Ian Wright is a moron, they're not made because they're often critical, which seems to be an unacceptable stance on SKY and other British stations.
    Think there was a rumour that the BBC were warned by the FA to not be as critical (!!) or they would refuse them broadcast rights to England games, after that it was all "World Cup" this and "invincible" that
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    #agree with you 100% there jebus, souness was enjoyable during the world cup, his facial expressions at times after hearing dunphy blast the english was priceless, but i liked the way he always said his point even disagreeing with dunphy, and i find trevor stevensjust dead boring most of times.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Souness is excellent. When Sky do Champions League he puts the others to shame (and even their CL coverage is far above their premiership with Wilkins and Gullit smashing Gray and Redknapp)

Stevens is OK but I wouldn't have him above Brady, Souness or Giles
    I like Wilkins and Gullit too, but andy grey is also good i tink, absolutley hate when he says, "you know exactly what he ws thinking" or when managers make subs and says "no the obvious thing in my opinion is to..........." Get a job as prem manager if you want to say that. But all round i enjoy listening to him. He always said staunton had the best left boot in the prem too. .Respect. Stan was a quality player. Now theres a man who would prob be the last person in the world id like to hear do a pundit
    job. Dunphy really got to me last year with the ronaldo bashing and fergie bashing just took it to the frigtening level of almost sick and totally filled with hatred of man utd. Brady makes trevor stevens sound like the most enthusiastic commentator ever!

but the fact is that I generally switch the mind off whilst Trevor is talking
    Likewise i just always zoom out when he comes on. RTE highlights increasing all the time though, remember when they first started and when the show started and the would say tonight we have Utd v arsenal or whoever and would show a shot from it but the score would be in top corner still, killed the hole meaning for alot of people i would have thought.
    COBH RAMBLERS FIRST DIV CHAMPS 2007

http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/GameDayDetails fantastic website by tetsujin1979

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Hmmm, we're back to all three panelists agreeing with each other again after the Liverpool game. All three agreed that Benitez doesn't mind giving away possession so long as they work to get it back (what, so they can give it away again?). The fact that Liverpool gave away possession doesn't mean that Benitez isn't bothered about that. If Souness was the Liverpool manager he would have been delighted with the 1 point in Porto but instead he joined with Father Time and Bulldog Face in their usual attack on Benitez.

Arsenal are now the flavour of the month. Wonder how long that will last?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    It's lucky he was there last night to rescue O'Herlihy from his attempts to pronounce "Besiktas". Is it too much to ask that a Champions League presenter might familiarise himself with the clubs involved?
    Last edited by DaveyCakes; 19/09/2007 at 2:31 PM. Reason: American spelling creeping in from work..AAAAGH

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Sounness is very good on RTE. I'd like to see him and Toshack on the same panel with Dunphy. Dunphy would have to hold his tongue for those two would put him in his place quickly.
    As Irishmen we dilute our sense of nation by depending on the English to bring us our balls

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    just saw this on football365: http://www.football365.com/mediawatc...739976,00.html
    Mastermind: Irish Style
    Eamonn Dunphy on RTE: "Look back at the Liverpool of old, the team that Graeme played for...Graeme's won four Champions League titles."

Graeme Souness: "Actually, three Eamonn."

Eamonn: "He's won four English league titles then!"

Graeme: "Five Eamonn."

Eamonn: "Whatever! It's not bloody Mastermind!!"
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Saw that, freaking hilarious Vintage Dunphy. Agree that Souness is excellent as a pundit, even on Sky he's quite good. His analysis always makes a lot of sense to me. Makes you wonder how he's never quite done it as a manager.Must be down to personality. He seems to be the type who regularly falls out with players.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    Saw that, freaking hilarious Vintage Dunphy. Agree that Souness is excellent as a pundit, even on Sky he's quite good. His analysis always makes a lot of sense to me. Makes you wonder how he's never quite done it as a manager.Must be down to personality. He seems to be the type who regularly falls out with players.
    Just watching him on Sky debating the use of the Barca palyers with Gullit and Redknapp. Richard Keyes had the nous not to interfere. It was like watching a conversation in a pub. Brilliant. I suspect however that he had/has a bit of a domineering personality. Great player, great anylist, poor manager.
    "Look at them. They're all out of step except my son Johnny"
    Mrs. Delaney

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    i thought souness was good during WC but i think he's a spoon after listening to him talk about sevilla last night. nowhere near as bad as andy gray talkin about la liga tho. expert me hole!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by onceahoop View Post
    Just watching him on Sky debating the use of the Barca palyers with Gullit and Redknapp. Richard Keyes had the nous not to interfere. It was like watching a conversation in a pub. Brilliant. I suspect however that he had/has a bit of a domineering personality. Great player, great anylist, poor manager.
    I suppose Redknapp sat there looking like the gimp he is .

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gustavo View Post
    I suppose Redknapp sat there looking like the gimp he is .
    A few weeks ago, when Redknapp was on the panel alongside Souness, he was acting the gob****e as usual. The look of bewilderment on Souness' face was hilarious.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    I reckon my next door neighbours dog knows more about football than Jamie Redknapp. If there was ever a yes man in the football punditry world it is that gobsh**e. "JT this and Lamps that" he's nearly as bad as Ian Wright!!!
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast