Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Souness as a pundit

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Has anyone ever seen a show called 45/45 on Gol TV? Weekly South American football show with 4 pundits. They cover all the European leagues and the internationals. Dubbed in English and can be found online. Very insightful show.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I rate souness highly as a pundit, him and dunphy together are a class act
    We'll never die!

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FarmHoop View Post
    I rate souness highly as a pundit, him and dunphy together are a class act
    That's like saying "I rate Ferguson highly as a manager, him and Stan together are a class act".
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Oh come on lads Louise doesn't want her Jamie-wamie to use bad language on TV

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by baileban View Post
    Souness - decent pundit and entitled to comment due to his playing prowess
    Brady - honest and entitled to comment and as souness above
    Giles - entitled to comment due to his playing prowess but bitter towards United after being bombed out by them in the 60's
    Dunphy - a fake, not entitled to comment as he had absolutely no prowess as a footballer - he's a journalist and a political analyst - knows nothing about football - also bitter about being bombed out by United in the early 70's - his hatred of United has been disgraceful - subsided when he got the Keane ghost-writing gig and then reverted to type when Keane left - a fukcing disgrace to punditry - pi$$ off Dunphy!!
    Just to be pedantic Dunphy got the boot from United in the 60's otherwise I 100% agree Dunphy said Wimbledon would be playing in the Premiership from Dublin about 10 years ago. Now they are in Milton Keynes in the lower Leagues. Enough said

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    one of the highlights of the last world cup was seeing Souness and his strak reaction to the RTE trio
    He is a great addition to RTE, and Trever Steven is not bad too, even if he is a little montone

Ian wright, Redknapp and Andy Gray are a pain. What would andy gray do without slow motion replays

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Funny, I would have said Dunphy fecked loved ManYoo. Dunphy wasn't a great player, but has plenty of experience at a good level. I think it's complete ******** to say that someone doesn't have the right to comment unless they've played at the highest level. That would rule out Mourinho and a host of great managers for a start!

Dunphy is a bitter, pretentious alcohol ravaged fool, which is more of a reason to dismiss his ramblings than his lack of skill as a player.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,002 Posts
    Souness - decent pundit and entitled to comment due to his playing prowess
    Brady - honest and entitled to comment and as souness above
    Giles - entitled to comment due to his playing prowess but bitter towards United after being bombed out by them in the 60's
    Dunphy - a fake, not entitled to comment as he had absolutely no prowess as a footballer
    I assume that you are an international footballer, or a professional footballer at least, given your criteria in your above post.

Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    I think it's complete ******** to say that someone doesn't have the right to comment unless they've played at the highest level.
    Agreed.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    I think dunphy is top drawer, yeah sure he constantly changes his opinions, but he is frank and i would much rather have him on RTe and watch ITV or BBC

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,002 Posts
    Like I said he had a mediocre career - might have made a few appearances at the top level a few times while with MUFC - but probably becasue better players were injured. It's not like he progressed after leaving MUFC. He carried on playing pro football for another 13 years and went downhill.Thats hardly a career than can give him ammo to comment on the Rooneys, lampards, Terrys, Fabregas',Gerrards and all the players that have been on our screens since he retired in 1978..
    So, as his career wasn't so hot (ok, not great at all), he has no right to comment on players far better than him. This supports your comment from an earlier post-
    Dunphy - a fake, not entitled to comment as he had absolutely no prowess as a footballer
    but yet you, who never played professional football, have a right to comment on him?
    osarusan - no I am not a pro footballer( have played to a decent level though and I can safely say i know about football ) but i don't have to be an ex-pro to declare that I think dunphy is a sh1te analyst.
    seems like double standards to me. Particularly as in another thread, you have no qualms about offering your opinions of players who played at a far higher level than you -
    Maradona did not win the 86 World Cup all by himself - look at the videos - there is a guy called Jorge Burruchaga who supplied the ammunition to Diego nearly all the time. Won the ball in the middlle of the park and passed it 4 or 5 yards to Diego to do his stuff - however Jorge had the ability to thread a through-ball in for Diego a couple of times.
    Diego returned the favour in the final and played a glorious through ball for Burruchaga to get the winner. Buuruchaga may not have been the greatest world cup player ever but he was the most under-rated ever

I can safely say I know about football also, and I think Dunphy has qualities as an analyst.

Not as good as some others, but not the disgrace you think he is.
    Last edited by osarusan; 25/09/2007 at 2:14 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Mourinho and a host of top managers have got coaching badges and various qualifications - they have studied the game and continue to be involved in the game. Dunphy retired in 1978 - after a glorious career with MUFC, York, Millwall, Charlton, Reading and Shamrock Rovers which gleaned a huge haul of silverware comprising of one FAI Cup winners medal.There were great players around in the 60's and 70's but there were also some serious duds - Dunphy was one of these - a complete dud. To coin a phrase used fondly by himself he was and still is a shyster journeyman - ready to make a buck any way he can. He is a loser.
    Strange what you consider a loser, if I were to play for all those clubs and win an FAI Cup medal, before writing two best selling football books and having a noted (be it good or bad)career as a football pundit I'm consider myself a bit of a success.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    RTE's continuing bashing of ferdinand and ronaldo is stupid! there 2 class players, look at ronaldo's form for the last year and ferdinand has been a rock so far alongside vidic, havnt conceded since City away!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by feo123 View Post
    RTE's continuing bashing of ferdinand and ronaldo is stupid! there 2 class players, look at ronaldo's form for the last year and ferdinand has been a rock so far alongside vidic, havnt conceded since City away!
    Thats the thing about opinions though. You can't quite say its an RTE anti-United agenda when you consider that a lot of people (myself included) think Ferdinand is absolute muck and deserves to be bashed on every given show. Not to mention a lot of us feel Ronaldo is over-rated, which is all Dunphy is saying about him at the end of the day

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Graeme Souness would definately be my favourite footbal pundit.
    Don't get me started on that tool Redknapp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    490 Posts
    Have to say i think Redknapp and Andy Gray are top drawer. I really enjoy the last word.

I don't think Souness is particularly knowledgeable, unless its about getting the sack. Dunphy isn't about knowledge, insight, or tactical knowledge. He is about entertainment and thats why i would love to see him and Souness on a panel together. Mainly because i think it would end in punches. Maybe with Gerry Armstrong or Niall Quinn to referee from Brady's seat.

The worst in the world are Lawrenson, Townsend and McCoist. I would be forced to send Giles and Brady out to grass as well.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    I think dunphy is top drawer, yeah sure he constantly changes his opinions, but he is frank and i would much rather have him on RTe and watch ITV or BBC
    "Frank" is applied to one unreserved in expressing the truth and to one's real opinions and sentiments. This is totally different to someone who just mouths off, launches vitriolic campaigns on the national airwaves against particular individuals, contradicts themselves continually (sometimes within 4 days e.g. between the Slovak and Czech game where one minute we're just not good enough and 4 days later we should be at Euro 2008) and who just spouts venom with little or no contradiction from his co-panelists and definitely not from the chair. This from the one, who when caricatured himself on RTE, resigned in a huff. Pathetic and only in a back stabbing country like this would such a poisonous creature be revered.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backtowalsall View Post
    Have to say i think Redknapp and Andy Gray are top drawer. I really enjoy the last word.
    I take it you ar joking? Listening to the clueless monkey nod and agree as Gray launches into yet another rant about refs and linesmen. He is tripe. Redknapp has yet to make one insightful comment since joining sky. How is that enjoyable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadend View Post
    I take it you ar joking? Listening to the clueless monkey nod and agree as Gray launches into yet another rant about refs and linesmen.
    Not to mention Andy's always humourous racial slurs when a Premiership team gets beaten in the Champions League. Who can forget his infamous Spaniards are dirty cheats rant when Barca put Chelsea out on the way to winning the 06 Cup

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Guillem Balague that does the Spanish football for Sky is class.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gustavo View Post
    Guillem Balague that does the Spanish football for Sky is class.
    He's no James Richardson though

I miss Gazzetta

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast