Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Irish Diaspora Ireland's Future

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Irish Diaspora Ireland's Future

Embracingly slivering across inescapably emotive topics, do you think repatriating masses represent an untapped cavalry straining to proudly catapult a nation onto a secure higher perch?

Discuss.

(100 marks)

I'll sketch the rough skeleton for meat, arms and legs to be put on

- People drive countries, usually by being dynamic, vibrant
    - Globalisation pressures on our economy
    - We always need more good sports people
    - Easy sell to American-Irish; 'Become Irish. Today'
    - They might be good looking
    - I find Polish words hard to say
    - Our Constitution says we can layv em in no bodder, Article 2; "the Irish nation cherishes its special affinity with people of Irish ancestry living abroad who share its cultural identity and heritage."

Just in case ye think I sit all day posing chin-scratching questions(I just pose the head-scratching ones), quake not, I get all my inspiration from unquestionably Ireland's top economist, journalist, broadcaster and social scientist, David McWilliams. I slipped upon The Late Late on Friday when may attention was piqued by the curious pronouncing of the word 'diaspora'. Now I'd always thought, and said no doubt, the word was uttered a la di--a--spo--ra, but to my bemusement I heard it said as di--ass--por--a. Thereafter, I sat enrapt, my brain gleefully processing bright new theories.
    Last edited by kingdom hoop; 15/09/2007 at 12:55 AM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Just how drunk are you?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marked Man View Post
    Just how drunk are you?
    Dare I say, do not speak unless you can improve the silence.
    Did you ever notice that in every painting of Adam & Eve, they have belly buttons. Think about that...take as long as you want.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    A noble sentiment, though one subject to problems of self reference...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts

Thumbs up

A noble sentiment, though one subject to problems of self reference...
    Did you ever notice that in every painting of Adam & Eve, they have belly buttons. Think about that...take as long as you want.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Just how drunk are you?
    That's a nice opener for answering an essay question! Though I'd expect extrapolation outlining why the question sparked such puzzlement if I were the examiner! To answer your question, I seem to remember having four cans of fine Czech lager and two joints of marijuana in the preceding two or so hours to my post, so not really that messy but obviously sufficiently so as to masquerade as a blabbering eejit. Well, maybe not masquerade, probably more like unmask.

On the pronunciation point, it appears, having now checked on answers.com, that I am, humbly, wrong. I think I contrived my version from my familiarity with the Irish word díospóireacht. Oh well, more embarrassment.

As for the topic generally, I still think it presents an opportunity for a good old díospóireacht, despite the affront on my lucidity. Though of course if there isn't really a definable problem it's difficult to advance an argument, but as long as Ireland is a reasonably attractive destination then the time is ripe to cash in on the goodwill and affection for our country rather than hoping that if things go belly-up we can scramble around and perhaps look to the 80-odd million people out there of Irish descent to ameliorate our woes.

As a nation we are in the unique position of having an overwhelming amount of people out there with a grá for our country but that maybe lack a little gumption to up-sticks and come 'home'. Why not score a pre-emptive strike to try secure the nation's prosperity for decades to come? Open up citizenship to all those of Irish lineage, promote the country to what must be a captive audience and sit back and watch as their pride and passion powerfully propel the country onwards.

(I would appreciate if any further queries on my level of sobriety were addressed to me via PM as opposed to doing so glaringly! Ah, I think a fair rule is question the points, not the pints. )

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kingdom hoop View Post
    That's a nice opener for answering an essay question! Though I'd expect extrapolation outlining why the question sparked such puzzlement if I were the examiner! To answer your question, I seem to remember having four cans of fine Czech lager and two joints of marijuana in the preceding two or so hours to my post, so not really that messy but obviously sufficiently so as to masquerade as a blabbering eejit. Well, maybe not masquerade, probably more like unmask.

On the pronunciation point, it appears, having now checked on answers.com, that I am, humbly, wrong. I think I contrived my version from my familiarity with the Irish word díospóireacht. Oh well, more embarrassment.

As for the topic generally, I still think it presents an opportunity for a good old díospóireacht, despite the affront on my lucidity. Though of course if there isn't really a definable problem it's difficult to advance an argument, but as long as Ireland is a reasonably attractive destination then the time is ripe to cash in on the goodwill and affection for our country rather than hoping that if things go belly-up we can scramble around and perhaps look to the 80-odd million people out there of Irish descent to ameliorate our woes.

As a nation we are in the unique position of having an overwhelming amount of people out there with a grá for our country but that maybe lack a little gumption to up-sticks and come 'home'. Why not score a pre-emptive strike to try secure the nation's prosperity for decades to come? Open up citizenship to all those of Irish lineage, promote the country to what must be a captive audience and sit back and watch as their pride and passion powerfully propel the country onwards.
    Fair play Rico
    Last edited by Bluebeard; 18/09/2007 at 8:45 AM.
    That question was less stupid, though you asked it in a profoundly stupid way.

Help me, Arthur Murphy, you're my only hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    I bow to no one. bar Bluebeard and Mr A

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebeard View Post
    Fair play Rico
    Oh how I aspire to emulate his alluring eloquence. Alas your a priori annunciation is but a provisory plaudit as Rico-actualisation floats tantalisingly in a stratospheric vacuum.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    I think the state's creaking infrastructure could do without any further influx of population.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yes Schumi you have a point but the Basketball team could do with some taller players