Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Jewell?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Jewell

I'd definitely go for Jewell. Used to working with our level of players, you can be sure he'd pick a logical team and is undoubtedly one of the best motivators in the game. All this talk about top class managers is ridiculous, I'd take Jewell ahead of Capello, Del Bosque or any of them. This is not club football, you don't need to be a tactical genius. In fact, the more complicated tactical work you try to introduce, the more likely it is to go all wrong. At international level you don't have much time with the players. Pick the right team, be strong on set-pieces and get them motivated; believing in themselves, their manager and what they're doing. Let them play. Paul Jewell would do all that (He won't though, because we're stuck with Stan and there is absolutely nothing that we can do about it).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Very good point Wolfie but someone who has no history does not necessarily mean it'll work. The game is littered with managers from a different culture who were sacked when they they tried to change things to their way and it didn't work. Vogts, Le Guen, Gross to name but a few off the top of my head.

The only foreign name that I'd be 100% happy with is Hiddink but we've no chance there.
    Top Breeders recommend drinkfeckarse....

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gus Hidink (sic)

Russians are out now too, he is hardly going to stay around in Russia until 2010.but after getinng rid of the gaffaaaaa, would we have enough to payhim?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drinkfeckarse View Post
    Very good point Wolfie but someone who has no history does not necessarily mean it'll work. The game is littered with managers from a different culture who were sacked when they they tried to change things to their way and it didn't work. Vogts, Le Guen, Gross to name but a few off the top of my head.

The only foreign name that I'd be 100% happy with is Hiddink but we've no chance there.
    Yeah - it might be an unpopular view and I'll most likely get slated, but I'd like to see a (dare I say it) British coach appointed. I wouldn't like to see a continental coach appointed as it would swap one set of problems for another.

A British coach, with some top level experience, who is aware of our teams background and players - but has not been directly immersed in the teams previous approches to things.
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

It's also littered with foreign coaches who have brought great success. Rehhegel with Greece, Charlton with Ireland, Scolari with Portugal, Hodgson with Switzerland, Zico with Japan, Hiddink with Korea, Beenhakker with Trinidad etc....

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Give Dunphy the job.

hes so good at pointing out how bad others are etc and moaning but i dont see him applying for the job.and for him to say last night we need a world class manager and then to say this morning it should be paul jewell is pathetic.hes just looking for another easy target to moan about for a few years.has dunphy liked any irish manager we had?
    as i said on another thread,im gonna email him today and ask him to apply for the job.hes good at telling people what they did wrong but why doesnt he then go show us all how to do it right?????

7. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

1. Vogts in fairness took Scotland through a pretty bad patch and can be attributed with reworking the ideas of the Underage setup in Scotland.

2. LeGuen was undermined by the sheer stubborness of the teams most importanat player not to adapt.

3. Christian Gross was never wanted at Spurs, he was last in a long line of choices. It was a clear from day one when he had to get the tube to his unveiling as nobody in the club was bothered.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Barna Bee View Post
    Russians are out now too, he is hardly going to stay around in Russia until 2010.but after getinng rid of the gaffaaaaa, would we have enough to payhim?

No they're not

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Roy Keane

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    He has bigger fish to fry....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by antrimgreen View Post
    Roy Keane
    And if the dugout didnt have a cushion he might walk out
    "You'll not see nothing like the Shelbourne team"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Roy Keane
    And if the dugout didnt have a cushion he might take his dog for a walk
    "You'll not see nothing like the Shelbourne team"

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    At least he knows how to hold on to a lead

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ofjames View Post
    It's also littered with foreign coaches who have brought great success. Rehhegel with Greece, Charlton with Ireland, Scolari with Portugal, Hodgson with Switzerland, Zico with Japan, Hiddink with Korea, Beenhakker with Trinidad etc....

I don't disagree but Ireland play with a British mentality so using Charlton as an example is hardly worthy. The only common denominator with all your examples is that even though the managers are different nationalities from the country they are/have managed, they are all with teams of decent technical ability.

That's a trait that's more or less the same of the country where they're originated from so it wouldn't warrant mass change or revolutionary systems.
    Top Breeders recommend drinkfeckarse....

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    At least he knows how to hold on to a lead
    potm contender anyway
    Bring back the plank

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    No point chopping and changing managers every campaign. Also Stan hasn't done as bad as everyone is making out. Not many people want to admit it but he has improved as the campaign has gone on and will be ready for international management by the time the next campaign comes around.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mackannovic View Post
    1. Vogts in fairness took Scotland through a pretty bad patch and can be attributed with reworking the ideas of the Underage setup in Scotland.

2. LeGuen was undermined by the sheer stubborness of the teams most importanat player not to adapt.

3. Christian Gross was never wanted at Spurs, he was last in a long line of choices. It was a clear from day one when he had to get the tube to his unveiling as nobody in the club was bothered.
    1. He also took them to the Euro2004 playoffs (vs the Dutch) which was further than we got in qualification for that tournament, your point 2 also applies to him (same player as well).

3. He has since done fairly well at FC Basel.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DmanDmythDledge View Post
    No point chopping and changing managers every campaign. Also Stan hasn't done as bad as everyone is making out. Not many people want to admit it but he has improved as the campaign has gone on and will be ready for international management by the time the next campaign comes around.

We are as good as out of our qualifying group with three games to go. Also we are in the poorest qualifying group by some distance. Dont try and put a good spin on it, Stan has done every bit as bad as everyone is making out. Our performances have not improved whatsoever, they just havent been as bad as in Nicosia. the only game where we played to our potential was at home to the Czechs when we let two valuable points slip away. Being as good as out of a qualifying campaign is something you expect from very middle of the road teams, such as Belarus, Latvia, Hungary or Bosnia. Not us, we are too damn good for that to happen and Stan has to be held responsible. Simple put we have been dreadful thropughout the campaign and finding any positives is a struggle. And dont come back with the crap that Stan brought through the young players. Had any other manager come in they would have had to use the younger players too.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Ha Ha!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Mike Newell

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast