Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Jewell?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

what about...

Bora Milutinovic?

Has worked with many nations and has a good track record. I think he's currently the Jamaican team coach but he would be a good one to get.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eamo1 View Post
    hes so good at pointing out how bad others are etc and moaning but i dont see him applying for the job.and for him to say last night we need a world class manager and then to say this morning it should be paul jewell is pathetic.hes just looking for another easy target to moan about for a few years.has dunphy liked any irish manager we had?
    as i said on another thread,im gonna email him today and ask him to apply for the job.hes good at telling people what they did wrong but why doesnt he then go show us all how to do it right?????

He's a critic. That's his job for god's sake. Under your standard, noone is entitled to voice an opinion on Stan unless they are willing to put themselves forward for the job. Frankly, thats a load of boll*x, complete craptalk.

Besides, the opinion he voiced regarding Staunton is completely accurate, and one which is wholly representative of most Irish fans. Stan was put in a job he wasn't even close to being qualified for, and is clearly not able for.

He's earned well over €500,000 in the period he has been in charge. That is not value for money! A complete waste!

If anything, our performances and results have regressed under Stan, eventhough the strength and quality of the squad has improved.

We'd all love a world class manager, but given the financial and footballing constraints we face, we are very unlikely to get that. In reality, a proven, middle-tier Premiership manager like Paul Jewell or Steve Coppell is the very best we could expect (and would represent a collosal step up from Stan). Even a good championship manager like Pardew, Dowie or Newell would represent a step up. Thus, Dunphy is not pathetic in putting Jewell's name forward, it's the reality we face!! What do you expect? Jose Mourinho to walk out on Chelsea for the FAI??

In my opinion, we have a squad that was definitely capable of finishing second in our group (thus qualifying for Euro 2008), and which will be even stronger once the Qualifiers for World Cup 2010 come around. Dunphy's core point was that we have to give this squad the best possible chance to reach the World Cup finals. To do that, we have to have the best available manager to lead our team. Simply put, Staunton isnt that man.
    Last edited by ofjames; 13/09/2007 at 4:52 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,679 Posts
    Don Givens?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Martin o'neil anyone ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Don Givens?
    Quote Originally Posted by Block G Raptor View Post
    Martin o'neil anyone ?

No and no

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,679 Posts
    The first suggestion was a joke, just in case it wasn't obvious.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    The first suggestion was a joke, just in case it wasn't obvious.
    So was the suggestion of Staunton, and look at us now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Roddy Collins for Ireland

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Keep an eye on Henk ten Cate. His contract at Ajax is untill the end of the season and rumour is he wants to go when it finishes. Or he could be pushed soon enough because the Ajax board are stupid. Top manager.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    484 Posts
    I have to agree with Dunphy. Jewell is the right man for the job. He did a terrific job with wigan, and even better with Bradford. A former Wednesday manager did a good job for us in the past as well!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    We have a ****in manager for gds sake, hate this xrap, its getting as bad as the english situation, before last saturday.
    COBH RAMBLERS FIRST DIV CHAMPS 2007

http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/GameDayDetails fantastic website by tetsujin1979

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think Bruce Arena would do better than staunton. (Former USA coach) - at least he plays to his players strengths - and leaves them in their natural position. Jewell would be ideal though.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by billybunter View Post
    I think Bruce Arena would do better than staunton. (Former USA coach) - at least he plays to his players strengths - and leaves them in their natural position. Jewell would be ideal though.
    Also if he did really well we could name Lansdowne Roaf after him

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dublin12 View Post
    Give it to Aldo..at least he's got some sort of track record in 1 off cup type games..hes good with the media..is passionate about Ireland..and knows how to get a team motivated. I'd have him in with Jewell.

Aldo and Jewell as joint managers? Would you trust 2 scousers?!

I've always liked George Burley. He did a decent job at both Ipswich and Hearts and I think he'd have a good understanding of Irish players.
    "Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe." Dillo

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Do not even mention Don Givens you'll only be giving the FAI ideas. He is a useless manager with a useless record.
    LESS OF THE BULL NOW!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    I would be happy with Burley or Jewell. Either would have got us through to 2008.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Just to throw another name into the hat...

Dick Advocaat's move to manage Australia apparently is not a done deal. He is not keen on being based Down Under and his Russian club are putting up a bit of a fight to keep him.

Surely he would be great for the job. Dunno if the $$$ would be right or if the ole ole heads could handle a former Rangers manager at the helm...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bellavistaman View Post
    We have a ****in manager for gds sake, hate this xrap, its getting as bad as the english situation, before last saturday.
    We have a poor manager Bellavistaman, that's the difference. p*** poor tacticly, p*** poor public relations, confusing squad selections and amateur excuses after poor results.

The best one ever was saying San Marino would cause teams problems and how they were no longer whipping boys after we scored a last minute winner. He must've thought we'd all miracously forgot that Germany went into double figures against them a few weeks earlier.

I could reel off at least a dozen of his decisions in squad selections that have left me scratching my head.
    Top Breeders recommend drinkfeckarse....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    This is all idle speculation as it seems the FAI and Stan are not going to part company anytime soon which is sad because it will inevitably lead to one of our greatest ever servants (Stan) getting a load of abuse from the fans at the next set of games.

That said my choice would most definetly be Paul Jewell.He is a man who has proven on a number of occassions that he can work with limited resources.Also he would not break the budget constraints I am sure the FAI are working under.He is also a manager who is quite comfortable with the media and would be quite a likeable character.

However I think the most important aspect of this is that I think he would take the job.His reasons for resigning from Wigan last season was that he had enough of the day to day pressures of being a Premiership manager so the less stressful world of international management would suit him perfectly.He is being held to his contract by Wigan currently so he would not be able to sign without some form of compensation but this may only apply to club management and not the international scene.Some investigation would be needed.

Again there is no point in even discussing this as those who make the decisions (ie John Delaney) have decided to sit on their hands a little bit longer.
    Bohs Will Be Back!!!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Some one needs to sit on his head never mind him sitting on his hands. If the FAI were a proper company/business then the MD would be sacked for failure to hit targets and expectations. Stan must have some dirt on him up his sleeve.
    Last edited by antrimgreen; 14/09/2007 at 10:37 AM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast