Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How we can beat the Czechs

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

How we can beat the Czechs

Finnan in at right full. Kilbane at left full. O'Shea dropped (off. Preferably somewhere on the outskirts of Bratislava). Reid in for Ireland. Hunt on the left. Long (yes Long) up front with Doyle. Robbie Keane playing the free role he is playing at Spurs . I don't want to see Murphy or Douglas on the pitch at any stage. We have an excellent target man in keogh. McGeady might be better as a sub coming on (I would hope so). And Gibson can play better than he did last night. So those 3 would be my picks as possible subs. I'm not going to say anything about Stan as I am trying to control my blood pressure.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelys Guitar View Post
    O'Shea dropped (off. Preferably somewhere on the outskirts of Bratislava).

I just spit up my cornflakes! I agree with your selection, we need to be ballsy and go all out for it. It doesn't matter if we lose by a large or small margin, a loss or a draw and we're out. I'd rather we get thumped four or five nil having had gone for the draw rather play it close to the chest and lose by a single goal.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Robbie Keane playing the free role he is playing at Spurs

keane this season:
    against sunderland: upfront then moved to the wing for 30 mins
    against everton: started right wing(did nothing), then moved to a front a diamond (which didnt work at all), jol put on routledge for some actual width (leaving keane and jenas in a comical midfield partnership - with zokora as left back!)
    Last 3 games: keane played upfront and did well

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eekers View Post

keane this season:
    against sunderland: upfront then moved to the wing for 30 mins
    against everton: started right wing(did nothing), then moved to a front a diamond (which didnt work at all), jol put on routledge for some actual width (leaving keane and jenas in a comical midfield partnership - with zokora as left back!)
    Last 3 games: keane played upfront and did well
    2 goals made against Fulham. One from just inside the Fulham half. The other from outside the Fulham box. He was constantly dropping into midfield to pick up the ball. And should never have been taken off by Jol. The game against Sunderland only Malbranque showed up for Spurs. We need to win on Wednesday and need all of our best footballers on the pitch. Especially goalscorers. Accomadating Long (who just scored 2 against Denmark) is essential IMO. And Keane is quite capable of playing a free role in midfield.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I really thin Ireland will beat the Czechs. They are no better than Slovakia. Ireland will probably win and Stan will remain on as manager
    The deepest layer of human thinking and feeling somehow knows that God must exist - Pope Benedict XVI

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    there's a difference between a player being able to drop off as a striker and actually playing in midfield.
    henry drops off, rooney drops off etc. but you wouldnt play them in midfield.
    play keane upfront where he's dangerous and try to get the ball to him this time.
    and playing 3 strikers (one in a free midfield role all be it) is bit crazy in an away match against the czechs, no? or it just might work
    Last edited by eekers; 09/09/2007 at 7:15 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eekers View Post
    there's a difference between a player being able to drop off as a striker and actually playing in midfield.
    henry drops off, rooney drops off etc. but you wouldnt play them in midfield.
    play keane upfront where he's dangerous and try to get the ball to him this time.
    and playing 3 strikers (one in a free midfield role all be it) is bit crazy in an away match against the czechs, no? or it just might work
    The Czechs just need a draw and they might play for one (heres hoping. That tactic usually backfires). We have to win and yes I am very worried about getting overrun in midfield ala Cyprus away and for periods of last nights game if we play Shane Long. But if Long and Keane drop back into midfield when our attacks break down then that should be enough cover. Long can tackle and both have bags of pace. When Slovakia started to overrun us last night in the first half it was because we couldn't hold onto the ball, and Carsley was defending too far back. Carsley then was trying to pick out players with long cross field balls which he is not capable of doing. With Reid back (I hope) then Carsley can give him the ball short. Hunt can get stuck in not too far in front of Carsley. McGeady is just not doing it for me and has to go (maybe impact sub).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    we cant
    "No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." - Edmund Burke

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    We will get well beaten in Prague. Lee Carsley, the main man in midfield! Thats comical.
    I think I should the parachute, because I'm great.

In fact, I think I should get both parachutes, in case one doesn't work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Agree 100% about carsley. he is completely negative and when he does try and give a pass more than 5 yards it goes astray. Unfortunately there is nobody else while steven reid is still injured.

I wouldnt put ireland and reid together in there either i suppose cos it would be too lightweight. Knowing stan he'll throw a curved ball and put o shea center mid
    I

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Koller is out of the game on Wednesday after picking up a booking.
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    The point about Robbie is that he's ineffective because central midfield can't get a grip on the game. We have a good defence, some decent but lightweight midfielders, decent wide players and good forwards, but the team misfires because we can't get a grip on the game. We have 80% of a good team, but our central midfield is massively short of the required standard and physicality.

Carsley just doesn't do what's required. Mediocre as he may be, Potter does. He looks for the ball, passes it well and shows again. Just what Roy Keane made his career out of (well, he had a few other things going for him too, but none of it was flashy). Potter has done for us recently what a good scrum half does in rugby, i.e., he gives clean quick ball to his 10 whose job it is the make the play.

Play Robbie up front but play Andy Reid to get him into the game.

Finnan RB, KK LB, Hunt LHM.

The sheer folly & pig headedness of the FAI's stance over Garvan (whatever he did / said / whoever he annoyed) has damaged our chances. An Owen Garvan with 3 or 4 caps to his name would not be a gamble on Wednesday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    The only game in which we have looked a half decent team was at home to Slovakia when we played 4-5-1.Given our paucity of talent in midfield maybe this is the system we need to play.Iknow it sounds like a contradiction in terms and would mean dropping Robbie but we need to find a system that helps us hold onto the ball for longer.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    we wont win. it will be just like the last 4 years and tough pill to swallow for all those who traveled on this trip.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Doyle and Dunne to have fitness tests for Wednesday. If they're out, we've had it for sure. Won't win anyway.
    'And Crouch must score'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    how can we beat the Czech sack STAUNTON

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jackaroo View Post
    how can we beat the Czech sack STAUNTON
    The slagging of Staunton is dated. Clearly we've got passed that stage. Even the papers have started admitting the good things he's done and how hes grown into the job.

Simply the team is full of heart but it may not be good enough. Hard to see us beating Czech, although its not impossible with Koller and them being a big older now..but.. I just think we lack maturity in terms of keeping the ball. A lot of young players and we're lacking in obvious areas. I dont agree with slagging Carsley. He's the best we have in that position. A million miles better than Steven Reid. He had his chance last summer and failed miserably.

Last edited by dahamsta; 10/09/2007 at 5:35 PM. Reason: Blogspam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by craig7042 View Post
    The slagging of Staunton is dated. Clearly we've got passed that stage. Even the papers have started admitting the good things he's done and how hes grown into the job.

Simply the team is full of heart but it may not be good enough. Hard to see us beating Czech, although its not impossible with Koller and them being a big older now..but.. I just think we lack maturity in terms of keeping the ball. A lot of young players and we're lacking in obvious areas. I dont agree with slagging Carsley. He's the best we have in that position. A million miles better than Steven Reid. He had his chance last summer and failed miserably.
    Im afraid the "good things hes done" are far outnumbered by the bad things hes done, ie wrong team selections, wrong subs, wrong tactics.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kingdomkerry View Post

Im afraid the "good things hes done" are far outnumbered by the bad things hes done, ie wrong team selections, wrong subs, wrong tactics.
    No I disagree. He's brought in a huge number of young players and they play with spirit and pride. The debate over team selections is completely exaggerated. Did you notice Benitez put Finnan left back for liverpool the other week? was he ridiculed for that?? Tactics? I mean really.....

They are just short of quality at the moment. They didnt keep the ball. They didnt kill the game. The senior players like Carsley, kilbane and O'Shea arent good enough but they are the best we have. The young players are good enough, but not experienced.

I've spoken for months about Stans strong points.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    I'm not worried about the Czechs beating us. Because I can't see that happening. They have 3 to 4 very good players. And then some real average to poor types. We have a better overall starting 11. If Stan plays it. I am more worried about us drawing. The result to nowhere.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast