Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How we can beat the Czechs

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by craig7042 View Post
    The slagging of Staunton is dated. Clearly we've got passed that stage. Even the papers have started admitting the good things he's done and how hes grown into the job.
    So he is beyond criticism? Stop the Lights.
    As the panel asked the other night, has he learned anything?
    I personally don't think so but Delaneys pride and our bank balance probably means we are stuck with him.
    Surely Bobby Robson won't be back either, so where does that leave the world class management team? Delaney has a lot to answer for.
    "Must you tell me all your secrets when it's hard enough to love you knowing nothing."

http://worddok.blogspot.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    No I disagree. He's brought in a huge number of young players and they play with spirit and pride. The debate over team selections is completely exaggerated. Did you notice Benitez put Finnan left back for liverpool the other week? was he ridiculed for that?? Tactics? I mean really.....
    So Stan's qualities are that he brought in young players ????

I don't agree with this. Of the players he has brought in, the decision to bring them in was forced on him. If anything Stan is loyal to the senior players in the squad and isn't prepared to drop them/or take them out of the team without this decision being forced on him - eg injury or suspension. For example, he seems to always find a place in the team for Kilbane and JOSH no matter what. And additionally, the continued squad selection of players such as Carr, Douglas, Alan O'Brien, Colgan among others is baffling and without justification. Stan isn't a promote of youth and new age thinking, he's a stubborn man that is afraid to shake the boat.

BTW, comparing the managerial skills of Benitez and Stan is laughable.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Stan switching the fullbacks was somewhat defendable when we played Wales because he wanted Finnan and JOSH to mark their own club team mates but what is his excuse for continually doing it, it doesn't really matter where you play Josh cos he is equally ****e in every position but Kelly did look uncomfortable playing out of position.

I've tried to defend Stan in the past but its getting harder and harder, don't think Stan has really learned anything and Ireland can't wait for him to get up to speed. Knowing the FAI they will probably do what they did with McCarthy, let him make blunders for 5 or 6 years then fire him when it finally looks like he has become a decent manager.
    I don't blame Stan for taking the job because I would have done the same in his position but I think its criminal that the FAI gave this job to somebody with zero experience.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Kelly wasn't playing out of position? He's playing left back for Birmingham this season and has done in the past.

He also played a blinder for Ireland last year at left-back in Lansdowne against the Czechs.

So, it's not that he was 'uncomfortable playing out of position', he just didn't play well.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    I blame O'Shea, he was sloppy all night. Couldn't even do a simple backpass from about 5 yards to Given. Hopeless . He totally fluffed his shot in the last few mins sliced it an ended up on his bum in the Slovak area. Then seconds later he decided to mark space for Marek Cech's goal. If we had played a Florida Manatee instead of O'Shea it would have kept the ball more often, read the game better and not been caught out of position as much.

For us to have even an gilmmer of a chance we need to drop this clown.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cfdh_edmundo View Post
    If we had played a Florida Manatee instead of O'Shea it would have kept the ball more often, read the game better and not been caught out of position as much.

For us to have even an gilmmer of a chance we need to drop this clown.

First thing to bring a smile to my face after a horrible weekend for Irish sport. Thanks edmundo!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    The slagging of Staunton is dated. Clearly we've got passed that stage. Even the papers have started admitting the good things he's done and how hes grown into the job.

]
    Grown into his jumper is about all he has done
    What papers exactly....People argued he was a quick learner..he has learnt nothing (actually maybe he has but isn't capable of following it through)....we looked a mess on saturday.....then his subs.don't get me started on douglas...also his ability to keep playing peole out of position. Gibson is gonna be a star but the reasons for bringing him on in an away game for his competitive debut were strange if not just to tie him to the republic cause.

The players are trying but the tactics and ability of the whole management team are lacking and that is what is letting this squad down.....a better manager would get more out of them...he doesn't even know his best eleven
    Bring back the plank

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Let the rallying call be "Remember 1967" (see last game in the series). Such mighty players as Eoin Hand and Ray Tracy were the men on the night. 40th anniversary?

QUALIFYING
    European Championships 1960-2008
    Final Tournament
    Qualifying Groups | Quarter Finals | Statistics

Group 1

23/10/1966 Ireland 0 - 0 Spain (0-0)
    16/11/1966 Ireland 2 - 1 Turkey (0-0)
    07/12/1966 Spain 2 - 0 Ireland (2-0)
    01/02/1967 Turkey 0 - 0 Spain (0-0)
    22/02/1967 Turkey 2 - 1 Ireland (2-0)
    21/05/1967 Ireland 0 - 2 Czechoslovakia (1-0)
    31/05/1967 Spain 2 - 0 Turkey (0-0)
    18/06/1967 Czechoslovakia 3 - 0 Turkey (1-0)
    01/10/1967 Czechoslovakia 1 - 0 Spain (0-0)
    22/10/1967 Spain 2 - 1 Czechoslovakia (1-0)
    15/11/1967 Turkey 0 - 0 Czechoslovakia (0-0)
    22/11/1967 Czechoslovakia 1 - 2 Ireland (0-0)

Team P W D L GF GA GDIF PTS %
    1 SPAIN 6 3 2 1 6 2 +4 8 66.7
    2 Czechoslovakia 6 3 1 2 8 4 +4 7 58.3
    3 Ireland 6 2 1 3 5 8 -3 5 41.7
    4 Turkey 6 1 2 3 3 8 -5 4 33.3
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelys Guitar View Post
    I'm not worried about the Czechs beating us. Because I can't see that happening. They have 3 to 4 very good players. And then some real average to poor types. We have a better overall starting 11. If Stan plays it. I am more worried about us drawing. The result to nowhere.
    The torture never stopping
    At best at present, despite the individual merits of players we are performing like a 3rd seeded team, if we have pretensions about turning the never ending corner in our recent football history and beat the Czechs we have to put in the work shift needed that lesser teams need to do. Belief in a team and confidence in a game plan are not things that you switch on, they have to be earned the hard way, it's a process.
    If you could put together McShane and Dunne you still would not be able to describe Hreidarsson when he puts on his country's shirt. On Saturday playing full back for Iceland, he got his head to every ball, won every tackle, ripped through the Spanish vanguard and set up counter attack after counter attack which were executed with lightening pace. Every player chased, harried and tackled throughout the full 90 mins, playing right through the pain barriers.
    A bit of that for our team would be nice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Never understand why Ireland never play Finnan at right back. I realise he's out for this one, but surely a Finnan, McShane, Dunne, O'Shea back four is the team's strongest defence?

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jebus View Post
    Never understand why Ireland never play Finnan at right back. I realise he's out for this one, but surely a Finnan, McShane, Dunne, O'Shea back four is the team's strongest defence?
    I may be cynical but I bet Finnan will play for Liverpool at the weekend.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    I may be cynical but I bet Finnan will play for Liverpool at the weekend.
    Doing a "Lazurus". It has happened before with him but lets wait and see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Well Finnan has always to the best of my knowledge made himself available for every Irish match so i wouldnt say much about him. Maybe he is totally ****ed off being played out of position when he is the only player we have who is contionously playing well in the Champions League. Under McCarthy Kerr and the muppet we have now he has rarely played in this proper position. Put you top players in their best positions first, then worry about our weak positions. Personally i dont think it is a massive task to beat the Czechs, they are finished as a side and on a serious down turn. if they happen to qualify ahead of us they will finish pointless at Euro 2008. A bit of ****ing belief is what we need and a bit more physicality to out game. We dont need john O'Shea playing the nice guy or Stephen Ireland pulling out of tackles as per usual, we need full hearted 100% adrenaline performances. Unfortunatly id only be expecting that from Dunne, Given, Doyle and to a lesser extent Keane and McShane

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    A player not fit for competitive international duty, surely can´t play for 5 days for his club? unless your Roy Keane of course.

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    I dont agree with slagging Carsley. He's the best we have in that position. A million miles better than Steven Reid. He had his chance last summer and failed miserably.
    Reid had one chance centre mid and was excellent, as he was in the Premiership.

Quote Originally Posted by jebus View Post
    I'd go with that back four also. I think Stan's logic is that they're both right backs and Finnan is the better so he would be more comfortable playing out of position, even though O'Shea has played more games at left back than right.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    @ Geysir
    The rule only applies for 5 days before a game...regarding the Roy Keane comment - behave yourself, Roy often played for Ireland carrying injuries and against his clubs wishes.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    I´m always well behaved.

I´m pretty sure that it´s a countries prerogative to request that a reported injured player should not turn out for his clubs next game.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs up We can win this one

I have to say that its quite depressing reading some of the threads on this forum since Saturday's game. The prevailing mood is in stark contrast to that which followed the Denmark game. I just think we need a more balanced perspective after games.

Firstly, it is important to remember that we did not lose the game on Saturday night. We got a score draw against a mediocre side. We were unlucky to concede a last minute goal. If we had held out for the win, I suspect that the mood on this forum would be much different.

Sure, Staunton's selection and choice of substitutes was poor. However, we're still in with a chance of qualifying. If we beat the Czechs on Wednesday night, we'll be in a strong position to make it to the finals.

Despite his impressive goal scoring record, I think it may be a blessing in disguise that Stephen Ireland will be missing. I don't think he gets involved in the game enough and I think that we tend to get over-run when he plays in the centre of a four-man midfield. The last 15 minutes of the first half on Saturday night was similar to the game in Cyprus last October when the opposition swarmed all over us.

Like most fans on this forum, I believe that Andy Reid and Stephen Hunt should come into the team for Wednesday night. Reid was the best player on the park against Denmark. He has the ability to take the ball from the back four and importantly can keep posession of it. He's the only Irish player who I believe is capable of controlling the tempo in midfield. On the other hand, Hunt offers enthusiasm and a direct style of play that could invigorate the team. Both players could freshen things up in what looked like a sterile midfield on Saturday night.

As for all the criticism that Robbie Keane is getting, I thought he played well against the Slovaks, particularly in light of the poor service both himself and Doyle received from the Irish midfield. I'm hoping that Dunne and Doyle pass their fitness tests or we're in big trouble. I have selected my team below. Due to the current lack of alternatives in the full-back positions, O'Shea and Kelly remain in the team, but in their more natural positions.

1. Given

2. Kelly 4. Dunne 5. McShane 3. O'Shea

7. McGeady 6. Carsley 8. Reid 11. Hunt

9. Doyle 10. Keane

Despite some frailties in the above line-up, I still think we are good enough to sneak a win against this Czech team. Without Koller and possibly Baros, they are a different proposition. Rosicky is a quality player, but Carsley is usually at his best when he gets the opportunity to kick lumps out of a player that is employed behind the front men. Indeed, Carsley made his name at Derby following a very physical display at Highbury against Rosicky's predecessor at Arsenal, Dennis Bergkamp. Although older now, Carsley is still capable of a similarly robust performance. Leave the playmaking to Andy Reid.

This team has performed at its best when it has suffered a lot of criticism. Remember the performance against the Czechs 4 days after the nightmare in Cyprus. Not many people gave us a chance in Lansdowne that night. Remember the performance against Slovakia 4 days after the lacklustre performance against Wales in Croker. On both occasions we followed up poor performances with displays that were high on tempo and full of commitment. I believe we will do the same again on Wednesday night and it may be that a weakened Czech side will be unsure of itself, particularly with the knowledge that a draw should be enough.

Ireland have a more potent strikeforce and unlike the Czechs, we have nothing to fear but fear itself.
    "Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe." Dillo

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    I wish it was dated. However with chronic poor decision making , it is very likely to continue.

The good things he did for us were as a player - what have they admitted hehas done. To be clear there was no other option but to bring young players in, so lets not give any plaudits for taking the only road available.

And leaving Reid on the bench was truly appalling.

We have not played well in one competitive game under Staunton. I really want to support him (& I do), but it seems he is simply hopeless at his job.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    We won't beat the Czechs because Stan will not start Reid and Hunt because everyone is telling him what to do, remember how long it took him to bring in Carsley.

He has to go, no tactics, bad selections and madness on substitutions.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast