Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Team for the Czech Game

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts

Team for the Czech Game

We have to win this game now (we probably did before tonight's sham anyway). We didn't get any yellow cards at least. I dont see the injured players like Finnan coming back now. Here is the team I'd play:-

Given
    ----
    Kelly
    Dunne
    McShane
    Foley
    ----
    Hunt
    Carsley
    Ireland
    Andy Reid
    ----
    Doyle
    Keane

Our full back options are not great with the current squad, and if Ian Harte had played more games this season I'd throw him on. Let's face it without Finnan we dont have a decent full back, they are all suspect at the back so at least Harte has a great attacking dimension to his game (set plays).

Center backs of Dunne and McShane should be solid enough down the center, we'll just have to leave the flanks open against the Czechs.

Midfield I've gone for an attacking approach, Carsley can sit in the middle of the park and break up the Czech game with the occasional foray forward and the odd shot on goal (like a poor mans Vieria).

I'd play Ireland in the center too, he can surge forward if needed and is a good attacking threat. On the wings I'd have Hunt and Andy Reid, I think it was criminal high lunacy on the part of Stan not to start Hunt tonight. With Ried on the wing against the Czech's I think we could try and out pass them. Although not a natural winger, he could switch positions with Ireland during the game (Ireland could essentially be his "runner" and do his physical work). McGeady could be thrown into the fray if needed and add his pace in the 2nd half to attack the weary Czechs.

Upfront I don't think that there is much debate about Doyle and Keane they should both start.

There is slim chance we could sneak a win mid-week but I think Stan will pick O'Shea and we'll go down by 1 or 2 goals.

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Given

O'Shea
    Dunne
    McShane
    Kilbane

Ireland
    Reid
    Carsely
    Hunt

Doyle
    Keane

Kelly was far worse than O'Shea tonight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It doesnt matter what team we have we will be beaten anyway with that man in charge but for what its worth

Given

Kelly- only cos we have noone else and i dont believe in playing ppl out position
    Dunne
    McShane
    O Shea- same as Kelly and likewise id paly Harte if the man was in the squad he should have been called up once Finnan wasnt available which is another stupid stan mistake. For god sake surely he should have called in harte even Gary Breen for goodness sake we had no defender on the bench that has just occured to me. The man is some clown.

Reid
    Carsley
    Ireland
    Hunt

Doyle
    Keane

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Given
    ----
    Dunne
    Dunne
    Dunne
    ----
    Dunne
    Dunne
    Dunne
    Dunne
    ----
    Doyle
    Keane

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Basically the match on Wednesday is just a friendly. Stan having a look at the lads for the world cup qualifiers. Everyone with a touch of sense predicted this when he took over.

Get rid of him and get someone with a bit of a brain to prepare for WC qualifiers. And give McGeady back to Scotland. Fer Gods sake......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
    It doesnt matter what team we have we will be beaten anyway with that man in charge but for what its worth

Given

Kelly- only cos we have noone else and i dont believe in playing ppl out position
    Dunne
    McShane
    O Shea- same as Kelly and likewise id paly Harte if the man was in the squad he should have been called up once Finnan wasnt available which is another stupid stan mistake. For god sake surely he should have called in harte even Gary Breen for goodness sake we had no defender on the bench that has just occured to me. The man is some clown.

Reid
    Carsley
    Ireland
    Hunt

Doyle
    Keane
    I would take Breen in a heartbeat. There should a 23 man squad for these qualifiers, how can stan not replace people

I think the only way to do it for the next game is O'Shea Dunne McS and KK at the back
    "No regrets, none at all. My only regret is that we went out on penalties. That's my only regret. But no, no regrets." -Mick McCarthy

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
    Get rid of him and get someone with a bit of a brain to prepare for WC qualifiers. And give McGeady back to Scotland. Fer Gods sake......
    Ridiculous post - McGeady did OK, not great by any means (who did ?), but the omens are that McGeady could be a great player for us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Garcia View Post
    Ridiculous post - McGeady did OK, not great by any means (who did ?), but the omens are that McGeady could be a great player for us.

Paddy Garcia what game were you watching. McGeady did not do ok. He is avaerage at best id keep him but only for the reason we have noone else!!

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Paddy Garcia what game were you watching. McGeady did not do ok. He is avaerage at best id keep him but only for the reason we have noone else!!
    Are you serious? Ireland, Hunt and Reid are options on the wing. I thought McGeady wouldn't have been as bad on the left- he usually tries to move inside rather go down the wing and he would be better doing this on the left as he always moves the ball onto his right foot.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    He did OK = average. I'd argue no worse that anyone else bar Dunne & Kilbane tonight. So why pick on him ?

He has great ability and lots of talent & can change a game & he will be a very influential player for us in the future. I really did not like the remark that said give him back to Scotland. Stupid - he is a typical confidence player, the more confident he is the better he will play.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post

I also have faith in McG but it is running thin at this stage, a couple of times he pulled out of tackles that were 70-30 in his favour of winning.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Foley's done ok for Wolverhampton so far this season, I'd stick him on against the Czechs... Anything has to be better than John O'Shea.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    I'd love to see Stan pick a team that will try and win the game. We've got sod all to lose and it's not like we're the masters of defending leads now, is it?

Reid and Hunt must play, and I'd keep faith with the defence, maybe apart from Kelly, if Finnan is back then please play him. I'd like to think O'Shea will put in a performance one day, he won't get dropped, so he better play well.

Ade

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DmanDmythDledge View Post
    Given

O'Shea
    Dunne
    McShane
    Kilbane

Ireland
    Reid
    Carsely
    Hunt

Doyle
    Keane

Kelly was far worse than O'Shea tonight.
    Would be my team too.

Quote Originally Posted by cobra View Post
    Given
    ----
    Dunne
    Dunne
    Dunne
    ----
    Dunne
    Dunne
    Dunne
    Dunne
    ----
    Doyle
    Keane
    brilliant.
    COBH RAMBLERS FIRST DIV CHAMPS 2007

http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/GameDayDetails fantastic website by tetsujin1979

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DmanDmythDledge View Post
    Are you serious? Ireland, Hunt and Reid are options on the wing. I thought McGeady wouldn't have been as bad on the left- he usually tries to move inside rather go down the wing and he would be better doing this on the left as he always moves the ball onto his right foot.
    What I meant was id keep him as an option in the team others were saying give him back to Scotland!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cobra View Post
    Given
    ----
    Dunne
    Dunne
    Dunne
    ----
    Dunne
    Dunne
    Dunne
    Dunne
    ----
    Doyle
    Keane
    Are we that good that we only need 10 players. Put Dunne in with the other 3 at the back and we are right!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Will Finnan be ready for Wednesday?

I think the CR won't be very adventerous and will be happy with a draw. This is a must win game for us and all they need to do is defend solidly and try the odd counter-attack or hoof a few hopeful long balls up to Koller.
    So it's up to us to take the game to them.

5-4-1-1
    Given
    Finnan-McShane-Dunne-Kilbane
    Ireland-Carsley-Reid-Hunt
    --------Keane------
    --------Doyle-------

Keane and Ireland to interchange during the game.

If Finnan is still injured I would have to rethink putting Ireland on the right - we would need a solid RB behind him.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Praha View Post
    Will Finnan be ready for Wednesday?

I think the CR won't be very adventerous and will be happy with a draw. This is a must win game for us and all they need to do is defend solidly and try the odd counter-attack or hoof a few hopeful long balls up to Koller.
    So it's up to us to take the game to them.

5-4-1-1
    Given
    Finnan-McShane-Dunne-Kilbane
    Ireland-Carsley-Reid-Hunt
    --------Keane------
    --------Doyle-------

Keane and Ireland to interchange during the game.

If Finnan is still injured I would have to rethink putting Ireland on the right - we would need a solid RB behind him.
    i'd take that team as well.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    just read that Koller is out for the czechs - small mercies...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    yeah, really hope finnan is back for wednesday. we desperately missed him last night. the slovaks seemed to highlight kelly's flank as a weak point and were continuously attacking down his flank (successfully). even though this isn't finnan's natural side, i doubt the slovaks would have done that had he been in the line up, and even had they done so i doubt they would have succeeded.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast