Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Andy Keogh (F Perth Glory b.1986)

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/ke...n-3079538.html
    HE'S GONE from being the favoured son to the forgotten one.
    Andy Keogh, despite an excellent run of form with Millwall in the Championship, is not expected to make it into the Ireland squad for the Euro 2012 finals, even though he was there at the start of the campaign (he played in three of the first four Euro 2012 qualifiers). Indeed, he was there when the whole Trapattoni regime took hold (Keogh had the honour of scoring Ireland's first goal under the Italian, against Serbia back in 2008).
    The 25-year-old maintains that exclusion from the final 23 for the finals in Poland, just like his significant omission from the 24-man squad for the recent friendly against the Czech Republic, would be hard to take.
    But Keogh, who won the last of his 22 senior caps against Croatia last August, is praying that the door to Poland is not closed in his face just yet.
    "I have to hope that the door is still open and keep doing what I have been doing since I went to Millwall. I have been scoring goals and playing well for the club and some people have noticed that, but I can't do any more in terms of Ireland," Keogh told the Evening Herald.
    "I wasn't in for the last game against the Czechs, you don't get told that you're in or not in it. You just see the squad and see if your name's there or not.
    "It was disappointing at the time, but I just got my head down, told myself to just play the best football I could and see what happens. I'm happy with how I reacted to things and hopefully everything else will look after itself.
    DECISION
    "If the Ireland manager wants me for the squad I know in my heart that I am on form, but if he doesn't want me I'll wish him and the rest of the squad well. It's his decision, and it's what he's paid for, to make these calls," added Keogh, who is unaware if the Ireland management team -- especially the London-based Marco Tardelli -- have been to see him in the flesh.
    "I don't know if the FAI have been to the games, probably not as Millwall are not one of the big guns. I'd like to think that someone has been watching as I have been playing well, you never know.
    "I always knew that if I got a permanent move away from Wolves I could get into my stride. My form has been good, I am scoring goals and that's all I can do. I can't do any more to impress the Ireland manager.
    "It was always my dream to play for my country. I feel the same if it's my first cap or my 20th. I love every chance I get to play for Ireland, I am a proper Irishman and playing for my country means so much to me. I can never give up hope or say 'I'll never get a chance again'."
    Nervous
    There is a nervous few weeks ahead for a batch of Irish players, as it will be clear within the next month what 23 players Trapattoni plans to take to Poland. The manager has already stated that the squad he picks for the friendly against Bosnia will, barring injury, be the same squad which will fly out to Poland for the finals, via a training camp in Italy and a friendly away to Hungary.
    Players like James McClean, James McCarthy and Seamus Coleman are borderline cases, but at least they stand a chance of making it into the final 23.
    For older servants like Keogh, Paul McShane, Liam Lawrence, Damien Delaney and Wes Hoolahan, the fact that they didn't make it into a 24-man squad against the Czech Republic in February says it all.
    It's odd, then, that Keogh is now unable to get into the Ireland squad at a time when his club career is flying, whereas in the past he was included by Trapattoni when he was struggling with his club, Wolves, or on one of his many loan spells away from that club.
    For Keogh, that decision to leave Premier League side Wolves and join Millwall in January on a permanent deal has paid off.
    "It's going well. I've scored six goals now and overall I am pleased with my form and what I have done. We're pulling away from the relegation zone and that's one of the reasons why I came to the club, to help Millwall get out of trouble and further up the table and thankfully we're doing that now," he says.
    It's a sign of Keogh's form that he's second top scorer at the club -- but it's also a sign of how bad they have been this season that he is their second-highest scorer even though he's only been there for less than half a season.
    Brilliant
    "I've only played 13 or so games but I think I've done well in them all and it looks like we're staying up now. All that counts is the club avoiding relegation.
    "The manager here has been brilliant with me. He's shown a lot of faith in me and given me a lot of responsibility and I appreciate all that he's done for me," added Keogh.
    "I needed something new in my career.
    "I needed someone that believed in me, I needed a club that wanted me and Millwall were the ones who showed me that.
    "I know I dropped down a division by leaving Wolves and it could be said that I dropped down in stature in terms of the club's name, but I know that this was absolutely the right move for me."
    Keogh admits that his confidence had dipped during some hard times recently but the London move has led to a rebirth.
    "Any manager who believes in you will give you confidence, and then when the goals come, you just go from strength to strength," says Keogh.
    "So it's all going to plan on the club side of things as Millwall are very close to safety now -- there's just that matter of non-involvement in the Euros in June.
    Last week, another one of Ireland's forgotten men -- Norwich star Wes Hoolahan -- told this newspaper that he was planning to go to Euro 2012 as a regular punter, the whole campervan deal with his mates, if he fails to make it into the squad, but that's not for Keogh.
    GUTTED
    "I'd find it hard to take, not being in the squad," he says. "I'd be so gutted from not making the squad that I don't think I could handle being there as a fan.
    "I'll support the team and support the lads.
    "Ever since I could kick a ball I dreamed about playing for Ireland. A lot of time and commitment has been given to the cause.
    "I'd watch the games but I'd try to get away from it all, recharge the batteries for next season and make sure that this never happens to me again."

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    He comes across as a likeable guy, always has, but what's a "proper Irishman" and is there an insinuation that there are any non-proper Irishmen likely to take his place? A dig at Cox?

This squad is about as "properly Irish" as any in my lifetime. Many people's first XI would all be Irish-born. I'm not sure that has ever been the case since I've had an interest in the team.

Anyway, that's just a digression. I think the plain truth is that Keogh just isn't deserving of a squad place on merit. When he was originally called up the reserve striker roles were up for grabs. Others have comprehensively laid claim to those now and Keogh was always a fish out of water out wide. He had a good run while it lasted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    He comes across as a likeable guy, always has, but what's a "proper Irishman" and is there an insinuation that there are any non-proper Irishmen likely to take his place? A dig at Cox?.
    Hmmm, I didn't take that from it, Stutts. I think he just meant he's a "proper Irishman" as in patriotic and playing for Ireland means a huge amount to him. I don't think it's a pop at any other squad member, just similar to what McShane said last year about being a die-hard. Two lads the same as most of us on here, I suppose.

Keogh's had a good run and I think he's a good player who was unlucky to have been considered a winger for some reason. He's only 25 so he'll have other chances. We've a wealth of forwards right now but who knows what we'll have in 2 or 4 years time and he'll be still young enough then. And I reckon he'll still be scoring goals too. I remember talking to a Scunthorpe fan in Mulligans last summer for about 2 hours and he was almost tearful that the partnership of Keogh and Billy Sharp was no more, reckoned it was one of the best in Scunthorpe's history. He really rated Keogh.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    To be fair to Andy, he does appear to be in very decent form currently. It won't be enough for the Euros but good on him, has proved a very useful signing for Kenny Jackett.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanVsDalton View Post
    To be fair to Andy, he does appear to be in very decent form currently. It won't be enough for the Euros but good on him, has proved a very useful signing for Kenny Jackett.
    lets hope Andy doesnt get a red card-again.

sorry...

7. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    lets hope Andy doesnt get a red card-again.

sorry...

Id like to pullover you on that one, but thanks for noticing.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Another goal for Andy Key-oh after 3 minutes, single-handedly keeping Milwall in the Championship at this stage.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Another goal for Andy Key-oh after 3 minutes, single-handedly keeping Milwall in the Championship at this stage.
    This move has worked very well for Andy. Its great to see.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Id like to pullover you on that one, but thanks for noticing.
    A mental jump a bit beyond me initially but I got it in the end when I read your comment.
    Last edited by tricky_colour; 21/04/2012 at 11:59 PM.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Scored again to put Milwall 1-0 up against playoff-bound Blackpool. 1-1 now.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Has anyone else noticed how many times Keogh states in that article that he's "on form", "going well", "done well" or has been "scoring goals"? It's like he's verbally pinching himself in the arm over and over to reassure himself he actually is doing well. And in fairness to him, he must be thinking how he could get in the squad when he wasn't scoring goals and now that he's on a run he's unlikely to get called up.

Keogh does seem a genuine chap and the comments about his commitment to playing for Ireland are great to see. Hopefully next season he can show some good goalscoring form over the course of a full season. 10 goals since January is a good return. Maybe it's not out of the equation that a promoted side will acquire him for next season, but it does seem unlikely.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Key-O just scored Milwall's second in the early kick off at Middlesbrough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Just put his second in to seal it for Milwall, 3-1.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Have to say, I thought Andy Keogh was fantastic for Millwall today. Massive work rate and some nice finishing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrigaline View Post
    Have to say, I thought Andy Keogh was fantastic for Millwall today. Massive work rate and some nice finishing.
    Heard on The Football League Show he's scored 12 in 23 games...knew he was doing well but didn't realize it was that well. Maybe Trap was on to something.
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theworm2345 View Post
    Heard on The Football League Show he's scored 12 in 23 games...knew he was doing well but didn't realize it was that well. Maybe Trap was on to something.
    So he scored them all playing on the wing then did he?

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Just thought everyone should know, leaving the Aviva last night I overheard two separate people swear blind Andy should've started.

The 'flavour of the month' gets increasingly surreal.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Don't care if he scored. He shouldn't be in the squad. Hopefully he will be known as the guy that scored in Trapattoni's first game and last game in charge
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    Mr Keogh and his delusions of grandeur? Hope it doesn't offend Trap, we can scarcely afford to lose a player of such footballing intelligence

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-29295252.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I don't really see what's wrong with that. Keogh thought he was in good form, was scoring goals at the same level as others in the squad, could cover a couple of positions and had been part of Trap's squads since he took over. Instead of complaining he put his head down and has worked his way back into the manager's plans.

25. Thanks From:

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast