Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 112 of 114 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113114 LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,240 of 2276

Thread: Anthony Stokes (F free agent b.1988)

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Iran? 2 years? Anthony Stokes? If he sees that contract out I would be utterly dumbfounded.
    If he manages to survive 2 years in Iran without causing ructions or getting stoned/ a limb chopped off/ doing a legger for fear of getting any of the aforementioned etc I'll be utterly dumbfounded!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Iran? 2 years? Anthony Stokes? If he sees that contract out I would be utterly dumbfounded.
    Quote Originally Posted by colonelwest View Post
    If he manages to survive 2 years in Iran without causing ructions or getting stoned/ a limb chopped off/ doing a legger for fear of getting any of the aforementioned etc I'll be utterly dumbfounded!
    If he gets through his contract without causing Iran to re-start their nuclear program, I will count that as a win

3. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    I give it 15 minutes after he realises what his agent meant when he said Iran is a dry country...
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    As a non-Muslim he is allowed to drink but he’ll probably have to make it himself. Could actually be the beginning of a career after football....

6. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    He wouldn’t start a war would he ?

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by colonelwest View Post
    He may well get stoned ok
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

9. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Leaves Tractor Sazi; reported to FIFA as a result.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.dail...s-13689711.amp

Was doing well in fairness; almost a goal a game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    "We even offered to allow his mother, father and sister to come and live in Tabriz, but he said he could not focus on playing for us. We tried to help him as a friend"

In fairness John Stokes could do worse then set up a players lounge in tabriz. No competition to threaten and no hope of the Queen ever visiting.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    Now pitched up in the Turkish second division.
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...-38319448.html

Apparently Bolton Wanderers were interested, but their ongoing take-over issues prevented a deal.
    https://www.boltonwanderers.news/col...worrying-sign/
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Reportedly heading back to Scotland to join Livingston FC. Livingston marginally better than Iran I suppose.

The first page of this thread from 16 years ago makes for fairly depressing reading looking back at it now, the hopes for Stokes back then were very similar to what we're saying about some of our young players coming through at the moment.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Reportedly heading back to Scotland to join Livingston FC. Livingston marginally better than Iran I suppose.

The first page of this thread from 16 years ago makes for fairly depressing reading looking back at it now, the hopes for Stokes back then were very similar to what we're saying about some of our young players coming through at the moment.
    It would be no bad thing for any young player to read this thread ! !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts

Agree to an extent but the players we are excited about now are playing regularly in the top two leagues of English football, Stokes had a 6 month period on fire at Falkirk; the two are polar opposites.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Livingston announced two signings earlier, but not Stokes: https://livingstonfc.co.uk/lars-loko...oin-the-lions/
    One of them - Lokotsch - is a striker, so maybe he isn't going to sign for them?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts

I agree. I have a post in the first couple of pages mentioning the likes of Stokes, Andy Keogh, Billy Clarke, Shane Long and Richie Sadlier who all had shown promise at a very young age. Only Long forged what amounted to be a decent career out of all those mentioned and he never could be described as a top striker.

Somebody else mentioned a 17 year old Terry Dixon at Tottenham (remember him). Unfortunate that none of these guys for a variety of reasons never made it to the top. We could really have done with a decent striker to partner Keane.

19. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    I was and an still surprised quinn and keane didn't do more damage upfront

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    156 Posts
    Stokes has now signed for Livingston, according to 'The Scotsman' (22 August)

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Signs a one year deal at the Spaghettihad. Surely his last chance as a professional footballer.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    it is a shame he didnt play for Eire as much as he should when he was younger.
    One thing that i strongly criticize from the previous managers is the lack of chances they gave to the young players. I think Trap and in some degrees MON and Roy didnt wanna try youngsters, and is something the "big nations" are doing atm. Wes Hoolahan is an example.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Are you seriously saying Stokes was a missed opportunity for Ireland when we had Keane, Walters and Long?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by livehead1 View Post
    Agree to an extent but the players we are excited about now are playing regularly in the top two leagues of English football, Stokes had a 6 month period on fire at Falkirk; the two are polar opposites.
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    I agree. I have a post in the first couple of pages mentioning the likes of Stokes, Andy Keogh, Billy Clarke, Shane Long and Richie Sadlier who all had shown promise at a very young age. Only Long forged what amounted to be a decent career out of all those mentioned and he never could be described as a top striker.

Somebody else mentioned a 17 year old Terry Dixon at Tottenham (remember him). Unfortunate that none of these guys for a variety of reasons never made it to the top. We could really have done with a decent striker to partner Keane.
    Wasn't it enough to have Quinn, Morrison, Doyle, Long and Walters to partner him during his time. On the general point, I agree with Livehead that there is reason to believe that this crop of strikers holds more promise than Stokes, Keogh, Clarke and Sadlier:
    - Keogh was 23 when he made his Premier League Debut, only played 14 times in the EPL scoring one goal - he only reached double figures in the Championship once - he was still good enough to earn 30 caps
    - While Sadlier was talented and his career would clearly have been more successful if he didn't have to retire aged 24, up to then he had only played in the second and third tiers
    - Billy Clarke never played in the Premier League and only scored four times in The Championship

By comparison, of the new crop:
    - Aaron Connolly turned 20 in January, has played 24 times in the EPL, scoring 3 goals already
    - Michael Obafemi turned 20 in July, has 28 EPL appearances and 4 goals to his name
    - Adam Idah already has 12 appearances and he only turned 19 in February and, while he has yet to score in the EPL, in his only appearance against Championship opposition, he grabbed a hat-trick
    - Troy Parrott is a year younger than Idah, already has a couple of EPL appearances under his belt, and will likely get a full season of Championship football this season.

In fact, while not wanting to disrespect Keogh, Clarke and Sadlier, who are all fine footballers, our next tier of striking talent (Cassidy, Scully, Kayode and Afolabi) look about as promising as them currently - not to mention a few more showing strong potential at academy level (Odubeko, Oko-Flex, Cannon and Varian)