Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 111 of 114 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,220 of 2276

Thread: Anthony Stokes (F free agent b.1988)

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Contract at Hibs cancelled by mutual consent. Linked with a move to Charlton before the transfer window closes
    He scored twice for Hibs in that epic Cup Final win over Rangers so he has earned himself a place in the annals of that club. He has not featured in any of Neil Lennon's match day squads this year having reportedly been dropped for disciplinary reasons and subsequently requesting time off (according to RTE).
    Last edited by OwlsFan; 31/01/2018 at 4:37 PM.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    opened this thread half expecting to read he has retired. couldn't cut it in the SPL for whatever reason. we can safely forget about him in terms of the national side.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    opened this thread half expecting to read he has retired. couldn't cut it in the SPL for whatever reason. we can safely forget about him in terms of the national side.
    Probably one of the most disappointing stories in recent memory with a one-time prospect. Could have done much more with his career IMO.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

5. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    He certainly has had a lot of coverage for non football stuff .

Never good for a sports person .

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Συμφωνία με τον Άντονι Στόουκς

http://www.fcapollon.gr/news/ola-ta-...spx%3fpage%3d0

8. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_denilson View Post
    Συμφωνία με τον Άντονι Στόουκς

http://www.fcapollon.gr/news/ola-ta-...spx%3fpage%3d0
    Its all Greek to me .

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    Google Translate gives this from the page -

Apollo Smyrna FC announces agreement with footballer Antony Stoke. Born on July 25, 1988, the Irish striker has fought in Hibernian, Blackburn, Celtic, Crystal Palace, Sheffield United, Sunderland, Falkirk and Arsenal. It is international with the Irish National Team.

Seems a bit harsh. It was just that one time in Buck Whaley's, I thought...
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

11. Thanks From:

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Sun, sea and ouzo - that's going to work out just dandy.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    He had plenty to make it as an international footballer but his attitude was wrong. Too much success, too soon it seems. Probably believed his own hype.

Everyone is entitled to a second chance but he's screwed up off the field numerous times.
    If I was a manager I wouldn't touch him with a bargepole
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

15. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    Agree with the first and last bits, but the part in bold is a little bit harsh. He did cut it in the SPL with both Hibs and Celtic; hit 20 goals four times in five years, as well as 16 in 18 with Falkirk.

Apollon Smyrni is some drop though. I don't think there's too much depth in Greece outside the top few, and Smyrni are just above the relegation zone, having been promoted last season. Average crowd less than 1000. Will presumably be hoping for a productive few months and a big transfer in the summer, but if it doesn't happen, he could well return to Ireland.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Agree with the first and last bits, but the part in bold is a little bit harsh. He did cut it in the SPL with both Hibs and Celtic; hit 20 goals four times in five years, as well as 16 in 18 with Falkirk.

Apollon Smyrni is some drop though. I don't think there's too much depth in Greece outside the top few, and Smyrni are just above the relegation zone, having been promoted last season. Average crowd less than 1000. Will presumably be hoping for a productive few months and a big transfer in the summer, but if it doesn't happen, he could well return to Ireland.
    I should have been more clear, I meant in his most recent spell... perhaps Dundalk wouldn't be a bad move for him though as you say a bit of success in Greece could see him find another team there or in Turkey / Cyprus etc.

18. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    It's not exactly a big fat Greek transfer but i'd take spring time in Athens over Dundalk.

20. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    What a Plonker ! Can you imagine who ever ( agent or ) gets a player like this these chances and he just continues to fook up .

Who would be foolish enough to give him another chance if this ends they way its looking likely .

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Himself and Darron Gibson. Saw them in an Ireland under 19 match when I was a kid. They were a different level to all. Thankfully I didn't rely on then for inspiration. Two of the greatest wastes of talent Irish football will ever see. I hope they're proud.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Himself and Darron Gibson. Saw them in an Ireland under 19 match when I was a kid. They were a different level to all. Thankfully I didn't rely on then for inspiration. Two of the greatest wastes of talent Irish football will ever see. I hope they're proud.
    There is also the types that use the drink or what ever for not being good enough...

The, sure....I would have been great if only the drink did not get hold of me.........good cover if you were not good enough .

Admittedly , they can be under pressure to make the grade but some of these things can be used as a cover .

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    With Gibson anyway, not sure you can use the not good enough reasoning. He just made very bad choices, combined with some bad injuries.

26. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    There is also the types that use the drink or what ever for not being good enough...

The, sure....I would have been great if only the drink did not get hold of me.........good cover if you were not good enough .

Admittedly , they can be under pressure to make the grade but some of these things can be used as a cover .
    I think it's not so much about using the excuse of drink as cover for not being good enough, more that, in the modern game, not letting drink (or other vices) take hold of you is part and parcel of actually being good enough - and that's what makes players like Stokes so infuriating - we know he likely had the ability to be a really top player-an EPL and international team fixture, but that he settled for being part of a Celtic team that coasted to victories in a mostly Rangers-less SPL and failed to rise to greater challenges. Whereas on the other hand you have Jon Walters, whose early career seemed to mark him out as no more than a solid Championship journeyman, but through focus, determination and desire, took the chance offered to him by Stoke and racked up over 200 Premier League appearances and 43 goals along with 51 international caps and 14 international goals, all in the second half of his career. And Stokes still could make an impact, considering he should still be in the peak of his career at the age of 29, especially when you consider that Walters got 10 of his international goals after turning 30. But no... he's gone AWOL from another club.

28. Thanks From:

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Iran? 2 years? Anthony Stokes? If he sees that contract out I would be utterly dumbfounded.

31. Thanks From: