Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 57 of 114 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,140 of 2276

Thread: Anthony Stokes (F free agent b.1988)

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    862 Posts
    Hes only 20 so if he has got his attitude right he can still become the player we all hoped he would be
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    862 Posts
    Just signed for Hibs in Scotland under same manager he did so well with at Falkirk.Hopefully he can re ignite his career

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Just signed for Hibs in Scotland under same manager he did so well with at Falkirk.Hopefully he can re ignite his career
    Good move for him. He needs to be playing football and it's reasonable to assume he'll be first choice at Hibs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    At least he'll be playing as the main striker for Hughes.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    The only ppl who could possibly still rate this guy are himself and his father in his rubbish articles about how he should be playing

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I said a few times it's a pity he's technically superior to a lot of the players he played with because managers then tended to try and get him in the game more. When played deep, on the wing or as a 2nd striker I've rarely been impressed. He's constantly losing possession. When played as the main striker who's role is to beat the offside and score goals he has always impressed me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    I dont think he will ever be heard from again, destined to play the string out with Joe Lampara in Norways 3rd division........If this happens with James McCarthy I will be annoyed.
    I have had many a drunken night here talking with Irish Carpenters and Plumbers in Local 1 who took great pains to convince me that the bedrocks of the 2014 team that was to challenge in Brazil were the coy Shane Supple in net, the tricky Tony Stokes and incomprable Liam Miller as an unstoppable tandem boistered by the sure to be healthy Terry Dixon as the new Irish Rover, all over the field. Now look. We are going to have to get Keane Given, and Duff anti ageing pills and they can be expensive.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    862 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    I said a few times it's a pity he's technically superior to a lot of the players he played with because managers then tended to try and get him in the game more. When played deep, on the wing or as a 2nd striker I've rarely been impressed. He's constantly losing possession. When played as the main striker who's role is to beat the offside and score goals he has always impressed me.
    I totally agree with that.When he was at Falkirk he was allowed to play as an out and out striker and he looked outstanding but since then he has been played as a midfielder,winger and just behind the front man.He is still a kid so if he starts banging in the goals again up there and gets his confidence back he still has a great chance.Wouldnt write him off just yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Apart from needing to play on his own up front(which I totally agree with, he has the talent, he clearly cant play anywhere else, needs a fresh start and to knuckle down) hopefully this brings him down to earth a bit and makes him more mature. Thats clearly what he needs to do. He's the proverbial spoilt brat, who is just money mad and incredibly immature. Just after Stokes joined Sunderland, a mate of mine was up outside Club 92(Don't ask me why) talking to the girl Stokes was scoring at the time, and Stokes came up saying he had to go to the banklink. She's said "Its grand, I have some money if you want, just get me back later". His retort?
    "Eh, do you have a loan of 6 Grand? Don't think so"

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Jayzus... I don't think ATMs give out that kind of poke do they?? Thought it was capped at 750...

Anyhoo... I remember Strachan Questioning his ambition as a player when he rejected Celtic for a decision between a relegation battle with Charlton or Championship football with Sunderland... Seems he wasn't far wrong.

I don't think he's looked in "Good nick" physically for a while... Hope he turns it around but it smacks of another Sean Thornton to me!!
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    I totally agree with that.When he was at Falkirk he was allowed to play as an out and out striker and he looked outstanding but since then he has been played as a midfielder,winger and just behind the front man.He is still a kid so if he starts banging in the goals again up there and gets his confidence back he still has a great chance.Wouldnt write him off just yet.
    Thats his level alright i suppose,

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_peepee View Post
    Jayzus... I don't think ATMs give out that kind of poke do they?? Thought it was capped at 750...

Anyhoo... I remember Strachan Questioning his ambition as a player when he rejected Celtic for a decision between a relegation battle with Charlton or Championship football with Sunderland... Seems he wasn't far wrong.

I don't think he's looked in "Good nick" physically for a while... Hope he turns it around but it smacks of another Sean Thornton to me!!
    The Thornton comparison is very apt here except worryingly Thornton at least proved he had the ability to do well in the Premiership and subsequently in the Championship while Stokes has been found lacking in both.

He'll probably do well up in Scotland though so who knows a few years down the line he could step up a level again but I don't now ever see him being the top striker we all hoped for a few years ago.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    862 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Manblue View Post
    Thats his level alright i suppose,
    It was a hell of alot of goals to get for an 18 year old in the SPL

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    It was a hell of alot of goals to get for an 18 year old in the SPL
    ManBlue played at U-18s when he was 12, and with the U-11s when he was 4, leave him alone.

He says so in this video (3 min point on):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXJKkOaJW18

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,327 Posts
    Stokes starts up front for Hibs away at Falkirk today. It's on ESPN if anyone wants to check out how he's playing
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    It doesn't take a scout to see his goalscoring instincts already. Beat the offside line twice so far to receive long balls but just missed both chances. He's had 5 or 6 shots so far. Once he gets a goal he'll be on a run no doubt. Hughes seems to be the only manager that knows him well and that even includes Wenger who wanted him to play on the wing.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    781 Posts
    Decent debut from Stokes today. As a hibs fan I'm delighted to see so many Irish players turning up at the club all of a sudden, but Stokes is the only one with any real international hopes at senior level.

Looked tidy, but lacking a little match sharpness. Hopefully playing in an attack minded team with a manager that has gotten the best out of him in the past can revive his career.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    It doesn't take a scout to see his goalscoring instincts already. Beat the offside line twice so far to receive long balls but just missed both chances. He's had 5 or 6 shots so far. Once he gets a goal he'll be on a run no doubt. Hughes seems to be the only manager that knows him well and that even includes Wenger who wanted him to play on the wing.
    Wenger was interviewed by an Irish journalist in either the Sunday times or Sunday Indo around 4 years ago and was asked about Stokes. He said he is a player of very good technique but he sees him as a Paul scholes type midfielder hence why he wanted to play him there. Other managers also have played him as a wide midfielder

I think its only Stokes himself (and the greatJohn Hughes!) who fancies himself as a striker. I don't rate him upfront as an out and out striker - to me he doesn't have enough pace and isn't a good enough finisher.

Just finished reading Carraghers book and he played upfront until he was 16 and then moved back. If he hadn't of listened to the advice of people who know the game far better than he does, he'd probably be playing up front as a non league striker now.

It seems odd to me that Stokes is happy to ignore (a massive piece) of advice from a manager who is seen as a great in the modern game.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    It's only one game I know, but I watched Sunderlanmd's first game of last season - a late win over Spurs I think - and Stokes looked lost upfront. He failed to read any through balls or flick ons and was completely disconnected from his strike partner (Jones?). You can have all the athleticism and talent in the world but if you haven't the footballing intelligence for your position then it's a big mountain to climb. That game put serious doubts in my mind about Stokes' ability as an outright forward (not to mention really careless missed passes against England U21s in Cork). Good player, yes. Good brain? Not so sure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,327 Posts
    Stokes starting up front against Celtic. Irish spine in the Hibs team, Stack in goals, Cregg in centre midfield, Stokes up front.
    McGeady on the left for Celtic, Flood and O'Dea on the bench
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook