Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 9 of 114 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: Anthony Stokes (F free agent b.1988)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olaf Thom View Post
    Falkirk had 2 at the World Cup - Densill Theobald and Russell Latapy.
    I think there were 11 SPL players at WC2006. There were 3 Celtic players (Boruc, Zurwski and Nakmura) and 3 Rangers players (Prso, Namuchi and Andrews), the other 5 played for Trinidad and Tobago, as did Andrews, hardly top drawer or world superstars.
    Honest! I am not a secret Tim nor a closet Sham - I really am a Seagull.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hoops1 View Post
    Ye at 18 years of age he can forget about it hes finished

I cannot see him being a first teamer at Arsenal thats what I mean.

To make it at Arsenal, Chelsea or Man Utd as a striker, you need to be a superstar. I think he is excellent and is a possible premiership and international player - I just don't think he'll be the World Class striker you want him to be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Most EL players are Irish.Silly line of argument.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    At the end of the day Arsenal have a wealth of forward talent at the club, excluding the few out on loan like Lupoli, so it wouldn't surprise me to see him have a bash elsewhere. I'd be content if he maintains his Premiership status if he has to leave Arsenal, like Jerome Thomas or David Bentley.... Rather than the Graham Barrett route!!

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    858 Posts
    anyone else see the knowledgable crew on sky describe him as ''an englishman who used to play for arsenal'' when his third went in.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    from today..

JOHN Hughes wants Anthony Stokes to prolong his loan spell at Falkirk, insisting his goals can keep the club in the SPL.

The Bairns boss will open talks with Arsenal over the 18-year-old’s future next month and is hopeful of keeping the Irishman in Scotland.

The on loan Arsenal striker hit his first senior hat trick in Falkirk’s 5-1 win over Dundee Utd on Saturday and has forced Hughes to move to extend the deal that will keep him in Scotland until December 31.

Gunners youth coach Liam Brady recently guaranteed Stokes would play for Steve Staunton’s Ireland team at some stage and his six goals in six league games for Falkirk this season has pushed his name into the ring.

“The deal we’ve done is that come November, we have first option on him,” Hughes confirmed.

“If Arsenal are happy to have him stay up here we’ll be delighted to keep him.

“If he keeps doing what he’s doing he could be the 15-10 goals a season striker we need to keep us in the Premier League.”

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    There's more in The Herald, 3 pages worth.
    Brady expects...
    http://www.theherald.co.uk/sport/73310.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,314 Posts
    According to NewsTalk last night someone has stuck 50 euros on him at 100-1 to be Ireland's all time top goalscorer!
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Stokes has already done better in the SPL for a poor team than Aliadiere did in the strongest team. Does this say anything?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Stokes has already done better in the SPL for a poor team than Aliadiere did in the strongest team. Does this say anything?
    Might tell me that Stokes has been lucky enough not to suffer a serious knee ligament injury and a double hernia???
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    I saw Aliadiere live for Celtic and he was muck. Fast but careless & lazy. I know you and a couple of others here rated him a while back but I've never seen anything in him, though obviously one would trust Wenger's opinion over mine any day. I think I just don't like Aliadiere because he was direct competition to Graham Barrett a few years back!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I rated Aliadiere as having great potential.
    At 23, he'd want to be delivering on that potential.
    If he doesn't prove his worth this season, I'll duly concede that I got it wrong. My worry about Stokes is that he could have too many outside influences. Wenger tried to do with Stokes what he's doing with Walcott now. Play them on the wing, let them develop their dribbling skills and gain the confidence to take on defenders and beat them. Walcott jumped at the chance, Stokes complained that he was a forward, not a winger. He's on loan and Walcott is on the bench for almost every game.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    In fairness, Walcott is exceptional and actually best suited as a winger at the moment. Great feet and lightning fast, esp over short distances. I was at the Emirates on Saturday and I think if he'd been on for longer Arsenal would have won. He actually played as an attacking full back (nominally anyway) so he and Van Persie could double up on the RHS. I thought Walcott was outstanding. Thank God Sven kept him wrapped up in Germany!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,314 Posts
    That Aliadiere moving to a club where he wouldn't be the first choice striker was a bad career move, while Stokes moving to a club below his ability, but where he would be first choice is a good one?
    Didn't Aliadiere have 3 clubs last season - Celtic, West Ham and Wolves. Surely some sort of record?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Did he do much at Wolves? Brendtner for example is doing very well at Brum. Personally I think there's some merit in making the comparison to how these players do / did at the same level. I think we need to see how this one pans out though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    In fairness, Walcott is exceptional and actually best suited as a winger at the moment. Great feet and lightning fast, esp over short distances.
    I agree with you on that but I think a player, who isn't blessed with such talent, should listen to the advice of a coach as gifted as Wenger. Stokes needs to realise how lucky he is to involved with a top European club and learn everything he can from one of the best coaches in the world.

By the way, Walcott played in that position on Saturday because Everton had no attacking options on the left.
    Last edited by Peadar; 01/11/2006 at 10:20 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,314 Posts
    Did he do much at Wolves? Brendtner for example is doing very well at Brum. Personally I think there's some merit in making the comparison to how these players do / did at the same level. I think we need to see how this one pans out though.
    Not a lot, and then he got injured.
    Here's his soccerbase record: http://www.soccerbase.com/players_de...playerid=28839
    most of the Arsenal loanees are doing well - Larsson and Bendter at Birmingham, Gilbert at Cardiff, Lupoli at Derby and Reyes at Madrid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    That Aliadiere moving to a club where he wouldn't be the first choice striker was a bad career move, while Stokes moving to a club below his ability, but where he would be first choice is a good one?
    Didn't Aliadiere have 3 clubs last season - Celtic, West Ham and Wolves. Surely some sort of record?
    I think there's no question that Falkirk are a club below Stokes' ability but I think I read somewhere that the reason Stokes was sent there was to experience the rough and tumble physical side of first-team football?
    "Well I think they'll be a little disappointed with that" - Matt Holland on TV3 after 5-2 drubbing by Cyprus

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ogba View Post
    I think there's no question that Falkirk are a club below Stokes' ability but I think I read somewhere that the reason Stokes was sent there was to experience the rough and tumble physical side of first-team football?
    That sounds familiar, could have been in the weekend's Independent, don't think I saw any other paper over the last few days

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ogba View Post
    The Herald article outlines Brady's reasons for approving Stoke's loan to Falkirk, relationship having been established with the manager, "it's a good place for young players to go because Falkirk play the right kind of football. We have built up a trust now."

Page 9 of 114 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast