Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 60 of 114 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270110 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,200 of 2276

Thread: Anthony Stokes (F free agent b.1988)

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    570 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    Great finish with the left foot. The fact that it was against Rangers makes it that much sweeter.
    Great finish alright.

Bad defending by two Rangers defenders

Great finish alright !

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    brilliant goal,showed strenght, great control, use of both feet and cool finish.The lad is very talented if he can just get his attitude right he can still go on to be very important for us in future
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EastTerracer View Post
    Stack, Miller and Stokes all played 90 minutes for Hibs with Kurtis Byrne on the bench.

I can't remember an SPL team having that many Irish (Republic of) players since Bonner, Morris and McCarthy in the late eighties.
    Patrick Cregg from Dublin was on the bench too.

You need to be careful judging players on their SPL form though. Liam Miller has been exceptional in every game he's played for Hibs this season but he was poor to average against Montenegro last week.

Hard to believe Stokes has just turned 21 though, feels like he's been around for years.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts
    In fairness Miller was as good as any other player in green that night bar Hunt.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,334 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EastTerracer View Post
    Stack, Miller and Stokes all played 90 minutes for Hibs with Kurtis Byrne on the bench.

I can't remember an SPL team having that many Irish (Republic of) players since Bonner, Morris and McCarthy in the late eighties.
    Celtic have had various combinations of McGeady, O'Dea, Flood and Sheridan in their lineups over the last two seasons, but never all four.
    Falkirk actually had five in their lineup a few times in 2008/2009 with Graham Barrett, Patrick Cregg, Billy Clarke, Shane Supple and Stephen Bradley all on the books for the Buddies
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Manblue View Post
    Thats a lie hes not at arsenal/ even playing in the prem anymore because he is bang average
    Have to disagree, I have said it since the first time I seen him play for Arsenal youths, Stokesy has huge potential! As mentioned above he is only 21, i know these days thats no excuse for bad attitudes but he's the closest we have to a Rooney esque player.. Hopefully that goal is the start of a good run and he's top scorer in the SPL going to South Africa!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by M@ttitude View Post
    Have to disagree, I have said it since the first time I seen him play for Arsenal youths, Stokesy has huge potential! As mentioned above he is only 21, i know these days thats no excuse for bad attitudes but he's the closest we have to a Rooney esque player.. Hopefully that goal is the start of a good run and he's top scorer in the SPL going to South Africa!!
    Yep, he might be barred from the Glass Spider and whatever its Edinburgh equivalent is but Stokes still has huge potential. He's got serious skill, strength and the balls to try things that other forwards wouldn't even dream of. I saw him a few times for Ireland underage and he was frustrating as hell to watch but the talent is there in abundance. Stokes and Dixon up front in Euro 2014....
    Last edited by Yard of Pace; 24/10/2009 at 7:50 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    rubbish defending but great skill and finishing by Stokes

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Just seen it, cracking goal. Off to his old lads boozer now, happy days!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    Wouldnt hold my breath on this lad until he sorts out his attitude, involved in a late night brawl at a nightclub in Edinburgh only the weekend before last well at least that was the way it was reported.

incorrect. That happened over a month ago.

certainly an attitude question mark. but lets keep the facts right.

so far he's been a success. strangely miller is very well received in edinburgh. I live within 150 metres of Easter road and all the locals love him. Despite my pleas for sanity I might point out.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Stokes is rubbish. He's a big time charlie. Always out on the **** in Dublin... uses his football to fund a lifestyle not as a career. He was muck in the premiership, way out of his depth. I can understand him getting into the papers once or twice but its constant with him and always for the wrong reasons. SPL or League 1 is about his level. Roy Keane said hes the type of player who would be at the top level in a few years or playing non-league football and it looks to be the latter for Stokes. Few players are well above him in the Irish team's pecking order.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by M@ttitude View Post
    Would love for this to be true. However I think it is just a case of players finding their level. Miller, Stack and Stokes were all great hope for the future, they all failed, firstly at big clubs, then in the championship. Now they all look like great players in the SPL. Sad, there should still be hope for Stokes though, he is only 21. The other two are done.
    Help something bit me!!!

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    We write off players too quickly sometimes. Look at the way Richard Dunne managed to turn his career around.Was in Saipain I think the famous incident was where he had a go at a journalist because the journalist had called him unprofessional, but did while he had a pint in one hand and a cigarrette in the other!
    If Stokes can get his attitude right he has every chance of being an excellent player and could still make it in the Premiership.If he doesnt he will go the way of Sean Thornton and end up being a nothing player. Either way its too soon to write him off as rubbish
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Terrible defending but nice finish.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    570 Posts
    He may have the football and physical ability but

has he got the mental ability and disicipline ?

That is the question

To be or not to be !

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Great goal. criticism of the defending just detracts from a great goal. Two guys were on him and he made not even a half chance a beautiful goal using his chest, right foot and then left foot to finish excellently.

Havent really seen much of Stokes over the years -however whilst this was a great goal you only have to watch back 2 weeks ago (forget the opposition) where he was extremely lucky not to get sent off for kicking out recklessly at an opposition player.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Celtic have had various combinations of McGeady, O'Dea, Flood and Sheridan in their lineups over the last two seasons, but never all four.
    Falkirk actually had five in their lineup a few times in 2008/2009 with Graham Barrett, Patrick Cregg, Billy Clarke, Shane Supple and Stephen Bradley all on the books for the Buddies
    I was at a Dunfermline game where Gary Dempsey, Billy Mehmet, Noel Hunt & Richie Byrne all played, I remember thinking that the 4 on the pitch at 1 time was nothing short of amazing.

Back on topic, I've heard rumours from some of my mates in Scotland that Stokes wasn't actually invovled in the fracas in the nightclub, rather somebody from his group was (Derek Riordan) wither way he shuld of known better than to go out in Edinburgh
    You show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    the highlights were on Sky Sports last nite and the goal wasn't the only piece of outstanding play from Stokes. He looked like a really aggressive and skillfull player and had one amazing run where he beat two Rangers players in the box before setting up a great chance. However, one swallow doesn't make a summer.....

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts
    He's a confidence player plain and simple. He's the type of guy who'll only excel when he's playing with and against players he considers inferior to himself.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Den Perry View Post
    the highlights were on Sky Sports last nite and the goal wasn't the only piece of outstanding play from Stokes. He looked like a really aggressive and skillfull player and had one amazing run where he beat two Rangers players in the box before setting up a great chance. However, one swallow doesn't make a summer.....
    Yep nice piece of skill alright. He needs to kick on this season and consistently produce - No reason why he couldnt be pushing for a squad place then.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew