Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 41 of 114 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191 ... LastLast

Thread: Anthony Stokes (F free agent b.1988)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,315 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Risteard View Post
    Just Andy Cole then.
    Upsons best days were at Highbury and the rest aren't too great.
    Pennant was trouble.
    Which Wright would that be?
    Sidwell just joined Chelsea
    Pennant played in the Champion's League final
    Birmingham were relegated the season Upson was out injured
    Bentley's been called into the England squad for the Brazil game.
    Not all successes, granted, but precious few failures
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    and wright?
    City definetly have the best bands playing at half-time.

O'Bama - "Eerah yeah, I'd say we can alright!"

G.O'Mahoney Trapattoni'll sort ém out!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,315 Posts
    and wright?
    which Wright is that??
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Just Andy Cole then.
    Upsons best days were at Highbury and the rest aren't too great.
    Pennant was trouble.
    Which Wright would that be?
    We'd take any of them in a minute (bar probably Pennant though who's a bit sh*te).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    which Wright is that??
    Exactly

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Richard Wright?? But he's a graduate of the Ipswich academy...

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    it's not just a case of good young players Arsenal have let go and regret- but also the lack of young british & irish players they bring through the ranks.

Ashley Cole (aged 23) is the last englishman to come through and maintain first team football at Arsenal that I can remember-

Parlour before that..?

The likes of Fabregas, Clichy, Djourou, Denilson are not graduates of the Arsenal Academy- they are simply bought in when other clubs have developed them.

Because it is Wenger himself that brings these players in- he gives them more opportunities to prove themselves than the young british and irish lads.

How many opportunities the useless Aliadiare had? Lupoli too..

I think Stokes realised this, and will benefit at Sunderland where, if he keeps his head down, he will get chances to play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kingeric View Post
    Sidwell, Andy Cole, Upson, Pennant, Bentley Wright spring to mind..
    couldn't see too many of these lads (col€ excluded, and btw he forced himself out as opposed to being let go) getting a game at arsenal - even now after they have proved(ish) themselves with lesser clubs.
    Last edited by galwayhoop; 30/05/2007 at 11:38 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    [QUOTE=NeilMcD;695079]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
    Being the man who started this thread, I'm going to stick my arse on the fence and say that Stokes will be a top player.

This does make sense. Surely if you are on the fence, it means that you do not have a strong view as to wheter Stokes will be a top player or not.

Haven't you ever seen Rainbow?..........Bungle's Arse is so big it would have to be more over one side than the other!!........and another thing, why is it that Bungle wears nothing during the day, but puts on pyjamas at night??

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by galwayhoop View Post
    couldn't see too many of these lads (col€ excluded, and btw he forced himself out as opposed to being let go) getting a game at arsenal - even now after they have proved(ish) themselves with lesser clubs.
    that's not the point. the point is they were never given a chance to prove if they were good enough.

and if your about to respond " if they were good enough-they'd get their chance"- see my previous point .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Which Wright Kingeric?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    that's not the point. the point is they were never given a chance to prove if they were good enough.
    i think you missed the point sunshine. the players were listed in response to this comment:

.... but i think generally Arsenal don't let players go and regret it.....
    as examples of players who they are supposed to regret releasing i can only assume.

nothing at all to do with players being given a chance to prove themselves.

if they are not good enough to make the arsenal team now then do arsenal regret releasing them? answers on a postcard

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    i think you missed the point sunshine. the players were listed in response to this comment:

as examples of players who they are supposed to regret releasing i can only assume.

nothing at all to do with players being given a chance to prove themselves.

if they are not good enough to make the arsenal team now then do arsenal regret releasing them? answers on a postcard
    So if Arsenal release a player without giving him a proper chance..and that player later goes on to prove himself at a top club- you don't think they'd regret it??

i beg to differ sunshine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    So if Arsenal release a player without giving him a proper chance..and that player later goes on to prove himself at a top club- you don't think they'd regret it??
    and you are calling reading, birmingham and blackburn top clubs??? i'm sure arsenal would not regard these players as having proved themselves with top clubs.

the fact is arsenal have released many, many players over the last few years and you will find few, if any, that have gone on to bigger and better things. the players who were listed in this thread are no better than what arsenal have and therefore why would they regret releasing them??
    Last edited by galwayhoop; 31/05/2007 at 9:01 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,315 Posts
    the fact is arsenal have released many, many players over the last few years and you will find few, if any, that have gone on to bigger and better things.
    In fairness, it's hard to do much better than Arsenal, but most promising players they released or sold in the last few years are still making a living out of the game, which isn't a bad thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    In fairness, it's hard to do much better than Arsenal, but most promising players they released or sold in the last few years are still making a living out of the game, which isn't a bad thing.
    no doubting that.

however i don't think they are tossing and turning at night worrying about the ones that got away.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    no doubting that.

however i don't think they are tossing and turning at night worrying about the ones that got away.
    In fairness galwayhoop Arsenal have a terrible record when it comes to keeping hold of talented young home grown players many of whom then go on to play at the highest level. They should be p*ssed off with releasing the likes of Andy Cole, Sidwell and Upson for little or no money as all of whom have went on or could have gone on to command huge transfer fees which would have been welcome in the Arsenal kitty, something that looks a bit empty at the moment. Ignoring this fact of them losing out on money all three could easily have been first team players at Arsenal during their careers. Is Senderos really any better than Upson for example? In the absence of Viera could Sidwell not have done a job in that Arsenal team that no one else seems capable of doing at present?

Pennant wasn't a product of the Arsenal academy btw he was bought from Notts County I think for a fair amount of dough and he played plenty of games for them so they got a good look at how rubbish he is first hand before letting him go. On that decision I agree though he also has commanded a huge transfer fee so again it's money lost.
    Last edited by youngirish; 31/05/2007 at 2:55 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,315 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    Pennant wasn't a product of the Arsenal academy btw he was bought from Notts County I think for a fair amount of dough and he played plenty of games for them so they got a good look at how rubbish he is first hand before letting him go.
    Don't think he was released for being rubbish, think it had more to do with his frequent breaches in discipline, and brushes with the law

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,315 Posts
    Interview with Stokes and highlights from the U-19 qualifying series here: http://www.rte.ie/tv/obsport/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    In fairness galwayhoop Arsenal have a terrible record when it comes to keeping hold of talented young home grown players many of whom then go on to play at the highest level. They should be p*ssed off with releasing the likes of Andy Cole, Sidwell and Upson for little or no money as all of whom have went on or could have gone on to command huge transfer fees which would have been welcome in the Arsenal kitty. something that looks a bit empty at the moment. Ignoring this fact of them losing out on money all three could easily have been first team players at Arsenal during their careers. Is Senderos really any better than Upson for example? In the absence of Viera could Sidwell not have done a job in that Arsenal team that no one else seems capable of doing at present?
    doctors differ and patients die!

what is a club supposed to do? hold onto every youth player they have and then hope to get a large transfer fees for them? clubs decide on a player at an early age - if they are good enough to make it at the club in terms of the first team they keep them - if not they release them - they make a judgement call and arsenal are generally not found wanting in this regard.

the only reason the players you mention have got high transfer monies is because they have played first team football elsewhere and got exposure. young players are released because the club feels that they won't regulary make the first team, therefore they would not get exposure and consequently then how would you get a large transfer fee for them?

andy goal: imo he is not the bee all and end all that people think. he was released from arsenal as he wasn't cutting it (i.e. not getting near the first team), had a good season or two in the lower leagues and then went to newcastle where again he had a good couple of years. he was the main man at newcastle where absolutely everything went through him, a bit like heskey at leicester, before moving to man utd where beckham made himself and dwite yorke look like world beaters, yes he has scored a hatfull of goals but arsenal's strikers over the last few years have been top notch and i don't reckon that andy cole would have been the first name on any team sheet with them. i know he is 2nd or 3rd is the premiership scoring but he has been in the premiership for about 15 years and his conversion rate has always been suspect. yes he has been good (probably the best of those mentioned) but not a great player imo.

steve sidwell has had a decent few seasons with reading but it remains to be seen how he performs with a big club. he was sold to reading as he couldn't break into the arsenal first team.

matthew upson! ffs what has he done - yes he has shown potential but he looks to be a seriously injury prone player. maybe the upcoming year will tell a lot but again not a sleepless night scenario i would think. oh and arsenal bought him from luton at 18 yrs old so is hardly a home grown or academy player. since he left arsenal he seems to have had a serious injury each season.

back to the earlier point - i think generally Arsenal don't let players go and regret it.
    there are anomolies but they are the exception rather than the norm.

Page 41 of 114 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191 ... LastLast