Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 92 of 114 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102 ... LastLast
Results 1,821 to 1,840 of 2276

Thread: Anthony Stokes (F free agent b.1988)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    The article gives the impression he was part of the squad for the Faroes game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Called up by Trap
    But he walked out
    Because he was too fatigued, baby.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    got the assist on the winner tonight for Celtic, after missing a sitter earlier
    only Irish player in the Champions League this season, unless Paul George gets promoted to the first team
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    got the assist on the winner tonight for Celtic, after missing a sitter earlier
    only Irish player in the Champions League this season, unless Paul George gets promoted to the first team
    Don't forget Thomas Delaney!

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Call him up Trap!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Deffo!
    That was more than an assist for the tie breaker goal tonight.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Deffo!
    That was more than an assist for the tie breaker goal tonight.
    He should be in the squad for Sweden / Austria. Ok he screwed up two summers ago, but if Trap is going cap in hand to Gibson then why not Stokes? He would be an asset to the squad and no matter what way you look at it, he waltzed past three Russians tonight to provide the winner on a plate for Celtic.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    He should be in the squad for Sweden / Austria. Ok he screwed up two summers ago, but if Trap is going cap in hand to Gibson then why not Stokes? He would be an asset to the squad and no matter what way you look at it, he waltzed past three Russians tonight to provide the winner on a plate for Celtic.
    Why should he be in the squad? He has been injured for the past few weeks, and most of the past year. He waltzed past three Kazakhs, not Russians. And he did it a week after the squad was announced. Trap isn't psychic - he doesn't know an injured player is going to do something brilliant in a week's time.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    Trap is going cap in hand to Gibson
    Is he? Have I missed something?

On merit Stokes is certainly close to the squad as he's as good a player as Sammon, Madden or Keogh. But he has dirtied his bib with Trap and maybe Trap's judgment is to be respected in this regard. He doesn't strike me as the type of bloke who'd bring a good vibe to the squad. Too much of a Me Fein-er (unlike his dad...).

(I haven't seen much of Madden so that bit was a bit of a guess).
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 29/08/2013 at 8:57 AM.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Call him up Trap!

Do you think he even bothered to watch the game on the tele?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Is he? Have I missed something?
    We landed on the moon.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Thanks for that. It was a serious question though. Has Trap contacted Gibson? I wasn't aware, but I've been away.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Gibson has been ignoring Trap's texts for the past year, although Trap has made it clear that the door is still open for him if he wishes to return to the fold: http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/foo...attoni-s-texts

Gibson, 25, quit the international scene after the Euros debacle, when Trap left him out for all three of Ireland’s defeats in Poland.

Since then, the Italian has been begging for the Everton star to return – but has now embarrassingly admitted that Gibson has ignored his calls. Trap said: “It is very difficult to know what Darron’s position is when he does not answer our text messages.

“We have also tried to contact him through his club. But look, it is no problem. Other players have come in and we’re doing well with these players. I haven’t given up on him. Still I wait patiently for a player like Darron Gibson. The door is open.”

14. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Trap has said that he contacted Gibson a few times by sms but he didn't receive a reply. Trap is a manager scorned.
    Good to see Stokes looking lively,
    he would/could be an option on the margins for us, a better footballer than Sammon though.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    I don't agree that Stokes should be anywhere near an Irish squad. A move to a Championship or lower Premier side is all that'll get him back in the squad.

Champions League football isn't an argument either when he'll only likely get 5 or 6 games all season in it.
    He's playing in a one horse league, which outside of Celtic, don't care what anyone says, is not of better quality than League of Ireland.

As CD says above, he waltzed past 3 or 4 Kazakhs. St Pat's did the very same thing only two years ago. It took an 85th minute winner to beat them.

Stokes wasn't good enough to make it in England, he is only in the Celtic team this year by default.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Stokes' form is absolutely marvelous news. Brady said after the game that he pursued him as a 13-year old, he was the best Irish talent at that age, he lost his way, he didn't look after himself properly but that he saw him for Celtic early this season and said "you're fitter than I've ever seen you, you realize this is your time, you seem to have a renewed focus" - or something along those lines. He spoke with real affection. Stokes has serious class about him. If he keeps up his fitness and focus he will be in every Ireland squad for the next number of years to come, because he's light years ahead of the likes of Sammon and Madden and Keogh in terms of having skill and a footballing brain. He's exactly what Ireland needs when Robbie finally goes, though I'd relish seeing the two of them playing together right now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    I don't agree that Stokes should be anywhere near an Irish squad. A move to a Championship or lower Premier side is all that'll get him back in the squad.

Champions League football isn't an argument either when he'll only likely get 5 or 6 games all season in it.
    He's playing in a one horse league, which outside of Celtic, don't care what anyone says, is not of better quality than League of Ireland.

As CD says above, he waltzed past 3 or 4 Kazakhs. St Pat's did the very same thing only two years ago. It took an 85th minute winner to beat them.

Stokes wasn't good enough to make it in England, he is only in the Celtic team this year by default.
    Only 5 of the Karagandy team were around when Pats played them. Also, Ireland's senior team needed a peno and an injury time goal to beat many of the same players less than a year ago.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Ireland senior team had a lot to brag about against Kazakhstan that day alright..
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Ireland senior team had a lot to brag about against Kazakhstan that day alright..
    No, they didn't. But those Kazahks are no mugs. And Karagandy were aided by having a Colombian and some other nationalities in the team last night. A lot of people don't like Stokes, and I was disgusted with him in the last few years for seeming happy to waste his talent but he's got his head down and if that goal last night had been created by Joe Mason against bleedin Kidderminster or someone, you'd have the majority on here in raptures about it.

23. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Getting by the 4 defenders was half the work, the cut-back to Forrest could not have been more perfect.
    He struggled with injuries last season and Hooper took most of the plaudits.
    In the season before, he went toe for toe with Hooper for most of the season.
    I doubt if a recent history of playing for Celtic will hold back Wanyama or Hooper in the EPL this season.

25. Thanks From:

Page 92 of 114 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102 ... LastLast