Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 114 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Anthony Stokes (F free agent b.1988)

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    stokes is an excellent player and will no doubt be the next big thing in irish football. dont insult him with graham barret comparisons- he will make it big,from what I have seen of him both at Ireland underage levels and also in a few clips of arsenal reserve games.

anyone know the latest on the sunderland move, and do you think he would feature much?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FootballsKing View Post
    anyone know the latest on the sunderland move, and do you think he would feature much?
    He wasn't even on the bench yesterday but maybe Quinn wants him to settle in first. I must be a bit of shock moving from London to Sunderland

Anyway, as stated earlier Stokes hasn't exactly gone to a club short on strikers but Kyle is injury prone, Stead is decent enough for the championship but he just can't seem to finish anything off. Last season he played well for sunderland but just didn't have the finishing touch. I reckon Stokes will be slowly introduced to first team football. He'll probably make the bench soon and if Sunderland are winning comfortably he will get a run out. It will then be up to him to impress.

On the the other two Irish strikers there, Murphy ran out of steam after about 70 mins yesterday whereas Elliott looked more and more dangerous as the game progressed. A few injury-free games under his belt and I expect him to have another good season.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FootballsKing View Post
    stokes is an excellent player and will no doubt be the next big thing in irish football. dont insult him with graham barret comparisons- he will make it big,from what I have seen of him both at Ireland underage levels and also in a few clips of arsenal reserve games.
    It looked to me that Leeza's post was about avoiding the "next big thing" tag regardless of how much promise a player shows in reserve football. Barrett was highly rated enough even at the time when he was released by Arsenal to join a championship club. Time will tell with Stokes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Praha View Post
    He wasn't even on the bench yesterday
    I don't think the loan has been completed yet, just that Sunderland are interested in taking him on loan for the season and talks have begun
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    I don't think the loan has been completed yet, just that Sunderland are interested in taking him on loan for the season and talks have begun
    Aha I see. My bad, I thought it was a done deal Maybe he'll get his chance in the Arsenal first team instead - not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    http://www.safc.com/news/?page_id=10119

Niall Quinn has decided against signing Arsenal teenager Anthony Stokes on a season-long loan.

After careful consideration, the Sunderland boss has opted to let the striker, 18, go back to the Emirates Stadium.

Stokes trained with the Black Cats for a week, playing in a friendly against South Korea Under-20s last week.

Quinn confirmed: "Anthony is a young player who needs games now and we can't promise him that. I think Arsenal will loan him to a club who will guarantee him a game, week in, week out.

"I've a lot of good forwards here and he isn't, in my opinion anyway, ready to dislodge the ones that I will have in the team.

"We don't have a reserve team in a league here so I can't give games unless we arrange friendlies, so all in all it was best if he returned - but he's a good player."
    Apparantly Sunderland are going to bring in Kevin Phillips.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Yeah it's probably better if he goes to a club where he is at least 3rd choice striker or even League 1 where he could be first choice.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I hope I am wrong here but I have a nasty feeling that Stokes is on the way to join the Barret, Thorton, etc, club. Wenger has no problems about playing young players and now he is trying to ship him out? Of course Arsenal are saying goood things about him.
    You are not going to get someone to take a player off your hands if you say he is no good.
    Even Sunderland don't want him and that with a sympathic manger to Irish players in Quinn.

I have been very impressed when I have seen him play on Tv or those videoclips from the net. But I wonder if he is one of those big lads who shine against their own level but who don't develop anymore physically or football wise

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    I posted here about a month ago that Arsenal wanted rid of him. However I was a bit sceptical. With Sunderland turning him down, it could be true. Hopefully not though as he is still young enough to turn things around.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by princeofoslo View Post
    I hope I am wrong here but I have a nasty feeling that Stokes is on the way to join the Barret, Thorton, etc, club. Wenger has no problems about playing young players and now he is trying to ship him out?
    It doesn't look like they're trying to ship him out to me. They've loaned out Gilbert to Cardiff and Bendtner to Birmingham. Preston wanted to take Lupoli on loan but he rejected them. Wenger seems to be happy to loan out his reserve players this summer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    It doesn't look good for Stokes. Arsenal have just lost Denis Bergkamp, Pires and look like losing Reyes. Three attacking players. Ljungberg is injured for the first few weeks of the season, a player Stokes has been likened to. Surely if Stokes was as good as he is said to be, Arsenal would be holding on to him and giving him his shot. They did it with Fabreges, Adebayor (sic) and Toure. I think Wenger doesn't rate him highly enough. If he did he'd at least give him a chance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Not everyone is ready at that age 4tothefloor. He might chuck him in in a year or two.

Or not, obviously.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    4tothefloor - He hasn't even made the Carling cup team yet. Lupoli and Bendtner are Arsenal's first choice strikers in the reserves and they're allowed go on loan. Don't read too much into it. Toure was a 21 year old Ivory Coast international when Arsenal signed him. I think you're getting Adebayor mixed up with someone else, he was a big money buy in January. Fabregas - You've got a point there but that's one player. If you haven't made the first team at 18 I wouldn't write you off.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    stokes didnt go to Sunderland because he wasnt guarenteed first team football. Whats the point in going on-loan if your not guarenteed first team football. This is understandable because of the amount of Strikers sunderland have-no point in the move.

Secondly Stokes was 17 untill three weeks ago. Players like Fabregas are 1 in a million. Stokes did come on as a substitute in the Carling Cup last season, and at his age it is ridiculous to suggest he should start for Arsenal-no-one ever does. He is going on-loan over the next few weeks and then you will see what he is made off-if not then then watch the Under-21 game next Wednesday if he plays.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    4tothefloor - He hasn't even made the Carling cup team yet.
    That's what I mean by at least giving him his chance. Everyone is raving about how good he is, yet at 17/18 not even a glimpse of him at Senior level yet. How can he be that good, yet not be good enough? It's not a size issue either as he's a broad lad. What I'm saying is, is he actually as good as he's been talked up, such as the next big thing in Irish football?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Here's the Carling cup team that started the 1st game against Sunderland last season and their ages at the time of the match:

Almunia - 28
    Eboue - 22
    Cygan - 31
    Campbell - 31
    Senderos - 20
    Larsson - 20
    Muamba - 17
    Song Billong - 18
    Owusu-Abeyie - 19
    Van Persie - 22
    Lupoli - 18

Subs used:
    Stokes - 17
    Cregg - 19
    Bendtner - 17

Subs Not Used
    Poom - 33
    Connolly - 18

I've just checked and Stokes was the youngest of all the players involved in Arsenal's Carling cup run last season. Larsson, Bendtner and Muamba are all on loan at Birmingham while Gilbert is on loan at Cardiff. Lupoli is allowed out on loan but seems like he wants to stay at Arsenal. I don't see the problem with Stokes. He's ahead of schedule.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Sky Sports report on Stokes to Falkirk

SPL side Falkirk have completed the loan signing of highly-rated Arsenal striker Anthony Stokes.
    The Republic of Ireland youth international will be joining John Hughes' side until January after also attracting interest from Sunderland and Colchester United over the summer.
    Despite being just 18 years of age Stokes appeared in Dennis Bergkamp's testimonial in what was the first ever game played at The Emirates Stadium, and The Gunners have high hopes for the versatile forward.
    The promise of first team football has seen him move to Falkirk, where he will link up with compatriots and former Arsenal trainees Stephen O'Donnell and Patrick Cregg.
    Falkirk managing director George Craig expressed the club's delight at landing the promising forward from the Premiership side.
    "Anthony Stokes is one of the hottest properties to have graduated from the English academy programme," said Craig.
    "He is extremely highly rated by his club and the Republic of Ireland.
    "It may have seemed a long time coming to sign a striker but we always maintained that we would not make knee-jerk reactions or simply make a signing on the basis that a player in question had a profile.
    "We believe at Falkirk it is important that any player who joins the club has the qualities we look for to assist us to achieve our ambition."
    Stokes has joined a number of young Gunners in moving away from The Emirates Stadium on loan over the summer, with Fabrice Muamba, Nicklas Bendtner, Sebastian Larsson, Arturo Lupoli, Vito Mannone, Kerrea Gilbert and Carlos Vela all furthering their experience with other clubs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    story on Falkirk's official site: http://www.falkirkfc.co.uk/falkirk-n...youngster.html
    Looks like the u-21 game will be on sky sports:
    Falkirk fans should tune into Sky Sports on Friday evening for their first glimpse of the new signing in action, playing for his Country at Under-21 level.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    If Stokes can only get a loan move to Falkirk then even at this early stage of his career I think he's going to turn out to be another Graham Barrett. If he chose a move to Falkirk over a Championship side (which I seriously doubt considering one of those mentioned, Sunderland, turned down an option to loan him) then he needs to look at himself and the people around him advising him.

After a bright start for Arsenal he faded a lot last year anyway so I don't see him being good enough to be much of an asset to Ireland.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Let's see how it gets on at Falkirk before we totally dismiss his chances! He's only a young lad and it seems he's been promised a good shot at the first team up there, which is probably why he went there instead of facing another battle for first team football somewhere else.

Page 5 of 114 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast