Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 114 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Anthony Stokes (F free agent b.1988)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungle
    Was at the game tonight and Anthony was superb!Him and Lupoli were streaks ahead of any other players on the pitch though nearly every one of the Arsenal lads looked capable of playing at the top level.They have some second string it must be said and played excellent football.
    Norwich rested Spillane and i've heard that he should make the bench for the Ipswich match.
    Cheers for that. How did Murphy and Tracy do?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Norwich review of the same game:
    http://www.canaries.premiumtv.co.uk/....html?ptvParm=
    According to Arsenal's site, there will be a full review on the site later
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Arsenal Reserve Team Coach Neil Banfield

On Norwich and the performance...

"To be fair to Norwich they’ve got a hell of a young side. They competed and you always a get a good game when you come here. But I think we were very professional. We went on and did very well tonight. I think we controlled the game. That’s no disrespect to Norwich but I think we did. I was pleased with some of the lads’ overall performances and the way they’ve done a professional job."

On Anthony Stokes’ midfield role…
    "Stokes is coming along well. Obviously it’s a new position for him in midfield, whereas he was a striker. He’s working really hard for the team and I think he’s coming to grips with it so we’ll see how he develops over the next few months."

Banfield also said on a video interview this aout Stokes - "He’s with the first-team a hell of a lot and you can see it rubbing off on him".
    I'll let you know what else he says when I get the chance to watch the full video and match highlights on Arsenal TV later.
    Foot.ie - NFL Fantasy Football Champion, 2006!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Looks like one of the talented youngsters ahead of Stokes has left Arsenal. Maybe he'l get the odd game that Quincy used to get.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by del fuego
    Looks like one of the talented youngsters ahead of Stokes has left Arsenal. Maybe he'l get the odd game that Quincy used to get.
    I think Theo Walcott will probably get the lion's share of games that Quincy used to get. The info i got was that Quincy moved on becuase he thinks Walcott will jump ahead of everyone in the starting stakes and that looks very likely. Quincy has featured on the bench a lot for the first team this season and made something like 25 first team appearances over the last 2 years. The move came as a shock but undoubtedly things have changed recently with the signing of Walcott.

If Stokes gets a game I reckon it will be wide right as a result of injuries as he's not much hope of getting in up front just at the minute with Adebayor, Van Persie, Reyes aswell as the likes of Lupoli and Bendtner in front of him. Arsenal seem to think they could make a decent winger out of him.

From what I believe, Theo Walcott will play wide right in a 4-3-3 style formation in time, playing the position that was ear marked for SWP (before the lure of filthy russian money). I'd be surprised to see Walcott and Henry play together up top on many occassions and at the minute he will battle with Ljungberg & Hleb for a position on the right I'd imagine. I've a sneaky feeling that Ljungberg may move on in the summer so maybe a chance for Stokes if that happens or if Pires moves on i.e. Theo may move to the left to challenge Reyes opening up opportunities on the right hand side for Stokes to challenge Hleb & ljungberg.

As i've said many times before, he's still very young and has bags of potential so there's not a major hurry for him to be getting games in the first team. If Fabregas and Walcott are good enough to play at their age then perhaps Stokes just isn't quite at that level just yet. It should be noted that Cesc & Senderos did play the best part of 2 years with the reserves before breaking through so there's still plently of time for Tony. I've no doubts that if he's good enough then he'll eventually get to play.
    Last edited by Karlos; 31/01/2006 at 8:25 PM.
    Foot.ie - NFL Fantasy Football Champion, 2006!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Aye, lets see if he can break into the Carling cup team at least.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts

Anthony Stokes

Having seen him play for Arsenal reserves I can honestly say he's a great chance of making the breakthrough in the next season or two.With Ljungberg out for the start of the season,I think he's a very good chance of coming off the bench in the next few games(especially as Wenger has earmarked him as a long term replacement for Freddie)....Arsenal seemed to have loaned out alot of their very talented kids but not Anthony so heres hoping.

Unlike Willo,hes a big lad,which is all important at the top level.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Wenger has a talent at spotting real footballers and an uncanny ability to get the best out of them, by real footballers i mean players with natural ability and technique.. Stokes must have potential!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,680 Posts
    There was a story from one of the lads on this site who knows Stokes' dad, that they were unhappy with his midfield role. However I think Lupoli and Brendtner have gone out on loan, which at least frees up Stokes to play reserve football in his preferred position.

RTE's website did a live Q&A session with Liam Brady recently. Asked about Stokes he said that "he's got a real chance".

Fingers crossed for him. As said above, the fact that he's got size on his side is important in the game these days. However, at underage level sometimes it's the big guys who stand out because of their physical advantage, but this disappears at senior level. I look forward to seeing how the U21s do with what looks like an exciting new breed. I'm sure Givens will do his best to turn them into a bunch of losers though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I really hope the lad turns out good. I bought him in my championship manager game and he scored a hat-trick on his debut

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Off to Sunderland for the season supposedly:

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?h...ck+Cats+switch

Could be a brilliant move for him...

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    There were some links to videos of him in action posted here earlier in the year.
    Had a quick search and couldn't find them.
    Anyone still have them?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,680 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ogba View Post
    Off to Sunderland for the season supposedly:

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?h...ck+Cats+switch

Could be a brilliant move for him...
    Agree totally. Hopefully Quinner will remember on which side his bread his buttered and pick Elliott, Stokes & Murphy upfront ever week!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Agree totally. Hopefully Quinner will remember on which side his bread his buttered and pick Elliott, Stokes & Murphy upfront ever week!
    Would have been better for him to get a move to a different Championship club IMO where he would have less competition for a centre forward position.

He might be employed regularly as a RM player instead but I'd rather see him develop his game as a striker as he showed the most promise in this postion when he first moved to Arsenal.

If he does play as a striker this will mean Elliot and Murphy will suffer as there could now be 7 recognised strikers fighting it out for the 2 positions (Kyle, Brown, Stead, Murphy, Elliot, Stokes and possibly Sadlier).

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,680 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    If he does play as a striker this will mean Elliot and Murphy will suffer as there could now be 7 recognised strikers fighting it out for the 2 positions (Kyle, Brown, Stead, Murphy, Elliot, Stokes and possibly Sadlier).
    Point taken, but at some stage our lads have got to stand up and be counted and take on the likes of Kyle (who's injury prone anyway), Brown & Stead, none of which is a world beater.

Like the Grolsch ads, what's the hurry? If Stokes can figure in a third of Sunderland's games this year and get a few goals it's a hell of an improvement over Arsenal's reserves. Training day in, day out with the first team will be good for him.

I've been a big advocate of Elliott's since 2002/3. This year is a very big year for him, far more so than Stokes. It's a big year for Murphy too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Point taken, but at some stage our lads have got to stand up and be counted and take on the likes of Kyle (who's injury prone anyway), Brown & Stead, none of which is a world beater.

Like the Grolsch ads, what's the hurry? If Stokes can figure in a third of Sunderland's games this year and get a few goals it's a hell of an improvement over Arsenal's reserves. Training day in, day out with the first team will be good for him.

I've been a big advocate of Elliott's since 2002/3. This year is a very big year for him, far more so than Stokes. It's a big year for Murphy too.
    Agreed on Elliott, I've been touting this guy for a while now as the most natural finisher that we have. He was incredibly unlucky last season as I think he's well capable of playing at Prem level....If he stays injury-free this season I wouldn't be surprised to see him leapfrog both Morrisson and Doyle in the Irish setup...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ogba View Post
    Agreed on Elliott, I've been touting this guy for a while now as the most natural finisher that we have. He was incredibly unlucky last season as I think he's well capable of playing at Prem level....If he stays injury-free this season I wouldn't be surprised to see him leapfrog both Morrisson and Doyle in the Irish setup...
    It's amazing how many talented Irish strikers are emerging in a position that we traditionally have always been very weak. If even a small percentage of the current generation of young forwards make the grade we should have an abundance of options in an area where generally only the top few International teams have had strength in depth.

In this season alone Doyle and Keane should be Premiership regulars (at least at the start of the season). Long at Reading also looks particularly impressive (he grabbed a hatrick last night in a pre-season friendly in Sweden) and looks to have the physique, pace and power to handle the Premiership if he takes the chances that come his way.

In the Championship Murphy and Elliot should do well at Sunderland. Murphy has been Sunderland's most prolific forward in pre-season while Elliot on paper is their most talented forward (and possibly player now Arca is gone). Stokes also now looks likely to be another Irish option in this position while Richie Saddler is making good strides at the same club in getting himself back in the professional game and could be another option in the near future.

At Ipswich Billy Clarke is highly rated and should certainly make some impression on the first team within the initial few months of the season. We also have Alan Lee at the same team. At Stoke Adam Rooney scored 4 goals in his last 3 games after making his debut at the end of last season and now looks likely get the opportunity to make one of the striking positions his own with the problems the management are having with Bangoura. At Palace we have the more experienced Morrision who I think will have a good season this year and should still remain a useful option for Ireland.

Finally in League 1 Andrew Keogh had an excellent first full season at S****horpe last year and will continue to attract the attention of bigger clubs if he impresses again this season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by totalfootball View Post
    and Clarke (if he signs), Cunningham and Delap! Lots of Irish in the North East now.

Stokes played in a trial match yesterday, and 'showed some neat touches', which sounds like he did well, but not great.
    see http://www.safc.com/news/?page_id=10091
    Is that Billy Dennehy that started? according to this he was released in May along with Joe Murphy:
    http://www.4thegame.com/features/fea..._daybyday.html

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    It's amazing how many talented Irish strikers are emerging in a position that we traditionally have always been very weak. If even a small percentage of the current generation of young forwards make the grade we should have an abundance of options in an area where generally only the top few International teams have had strength in depth.

In this season alone Doyle and Keane should be Premiership regulars (at least at the start of the season). Long at Reading also looks particularly impressive (he grabbed a hatrick last night in a pre-season friendly in Sweden) and looks to have the physique, pace and power to handle the Premiership if he takes the chances that come his way.

In the Championship Murphy and Elliot should do well at Sunderland. Murphy has been Sunderland's most prolific forward in pre-season while Elliot on paper is their most talented forward (and possibly player now Arca is gone). Stokes also now looks likely to be another Irish option in this position while Richie Saddler is making good strides at the same club in getting himself back in the professional game and could be another option in the near future.

At Ipswich Billy Clarke is highly rated and should certainly make some impression on the first team within the initial few months of the season. We also have Alan Lee at the same team. At Stoke Adam Rooney scored 4 goals in his last 3 games after making his debut at the end of last season and now looks likely get the opportunity to make one of the striking positions his own with the problems the management are having with Bangoura. At Palace we have the more experienced Morrision who I think will have a good season this year and should still remain a useful option for Ireland.

Finally in League 1 Andrew Keogh had an excellent first full season at S****horpe last year and will continue to attract the attention of bigger clubs if he impresses again this season.

also Terry Dixon at Spurs, only 17, but highly thought of

http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/d...843465.0.0.php

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Anthony also sorta reminds me of Graham Barret... Remember him? Loaned out from Arsenal to Coventery when they got relegated. heard he's playing his stuff at Falkirk now.

Also, a friend of mine who trained with him at schoolboy level in the Ireland setup said he scored a thirty five yard chip against him in a training match (My mate's a goalie for Monaghan United Under-21's)

Page 4 of 114 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast