Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 15 of 114 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast

Thread: Anthony Stokes (F free agent b.1988)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    A mate tells me Roddy Forsyth said on RTE last night that Celtic & Falkirk were both set to bid for him outright. Anyone else hear this?
    I'm sure there will be loads prepared to make an offer for him but I don't think Arsenal would let him go permanently yet. Liam Brady was at the game on Wednesday night, presumably assessing Stokes. From what I hear his father has been very influential in his sons career to an extent that it has become a irritant to young Stokes employers. His father seemingly, works as an adviser to young Irish kids going to England. The same company headed by the guy who had his agents licence suspended over the Ashley Cole case. If memory serves me right it is also the company who left an young Irish boy stranded at the airport in England, when he went over for a trial.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    The most Falkirk would be able to spend is about £250k. I don't see why Arsenal would accept that unless there's something like a 50% sell on clause.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    An extended loan deal suits both Falkirk and Arsenal.
    It's the most likely outcome.
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    The most Falkirk would be able to spend is about £250k. I don't see why Arsenal would accept that unless there's something like a 50% sell on clause.
    I wonder would they have taken a figure like that before the loan move?
    Top Breeders recommend drinkfeckarse....

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    They still might take a couple of million though, which Celtic could pay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Its a bit early... best scenario for him is playing out a full season at Falkirk...
    If he keeps up his form, I would hope Wenger would give him a chance next season.
    "A silent mouth is sweet to hear"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I wouldn't want Celtic to pay a couple of million for him now anyway. Football is littered with players who signed for clubs on the basis of a short good spell and then did feck all.

I have high hopes for Stokes but I'd want to see how he did for at least a season before he went anywhere. He's played less than 10 senior games remember.
    Top Breeders recommend drinkfeckarse....

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peadar View Post
    Falkirk paly Hearts on Monday night so I can't see Stokes featuring in the B International the next night.
    The news is that Falkirk's manager has given Stan the ok to play Stokes in the B game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Premiership sides flock around Arsenal’s Stokes

November 13, 2006

Three Premiership sides are rumoured to be weighing up January moves to prise Republic of Ireland youth international starlet Anthony Stokes away from Arsenal.

Stokes has hit the headlines in recent weeks following an exceptional run of form for Falkirk, where he has been on loan for the past two months.

Ten goals in his last five games – including back-to-back hat-tricks – have catapulted him to the top of the Scottish Premier League’s scoring charts.

Bairns manager John Hughes wants the 18-year-old to stay on for the rest of the SPL season, but with his initial loan deal due to expire at the end of the year, could face a real struggle to keep him at Falkirk Stadium.

Manchester City, Everton and Middlesbrough are all reportedly monitoring the situation with a view to a transfer offer in the New Year.

SPL champions Celtic – against whom Stokes scored in the CIS Insurance Cup last week – and Sunderland, where he spent time on trial in August, are also said to be keen on the freescoring teenager.

Stokes faces a hectic schedule over the next 36 hours, with Falkirk taking on Hearts in a televised SPL clash tonight (Monday) before he travels to Dublin for Tuesday night’s ‘B’ international against a Scotland XI at Dalymount Park.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Gravesen scoring a hat-trick might take off some of the gloss for Anthony

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    i've been watching stokes for a number of years and the only thing that suprises me is that it's taken him so long to rise to the surface and bring this sort of hype that currently surrounds him.
    he's an excellent young player and has everything to potentially be a big star, he does all the hard things and makes them look so easy.
    his touch, movement skill, dribbling and shooting are all excellent. all i'd like to see him add to his game are the 'easy' things.
    he seems to drift in and out of games only showing flashes of his brilliance. with the right coaching he could become a more general all-round striker.

good to see him get some scrappy goals too, because he only ever seemed to score the spectacular ones at under age and arsenal.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    Did anyone see how Stokes did against Hearts? Any injury worries bout him for the B game?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kingeric View Post
    i've been watching stokes for a number of years and the only thing that suprises me is that it's taken him so long to rise to the surface and bring this sort of hype that currently surrounds him.
    Yeah, I agree. He has been 18 since the summer and should be in the Arsenal first team as well as being a full international at this stage. What the hell has he been doing with himself! Perhaps he's just a late bloomer!?

Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    Did anyone see how Stokes did against Hearts? Any injury worries bout him for the B game?
    Watched the game last night, and Anthony did ok. The ball in to him was terrible for the most part and any time he did get the ball, the Eastern Europeans had 8 men between him and the goal. Falkirk struggled to create chances and Gow arguably missed the best one. A great individual effort from Latapy salvaged a draw for the Irish and Hearts will no doubt feel hard done by.

Roy Keane was in the crowd so he's certainly serious about his interest in Stokes. Miserable night and a crowd of around 6,000.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    watched the game last night ......... disappointing match, weather didn't help. The one thing i noticed about stokes and has been mentioned before is his temperament. On two occasions he kicked out at the opposition when beaten for the ball.This to me is a downside of his game and one that he will have to watch. Other than that i feel that he shouldn't stay too long with falkirk and if a better club moves for him then he should go as he has great potential which would be better developed at a higher club.
    I have a head only Snow White would love

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greendeiseboy View Post
    On two occasions he kicked out at the opposition when beaten for the ball.

Well one of those incidents was where Nerijus Barasa was behind Stokes, who was in posession, and kept kicking at Stokes until he lost posession. Stokes reacted to this but the ref., who was looking right at the whole thing, left it go.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peadar View Post
    Well one of those incidents was where Nerijus Barasa was behind Stokes, who was in posession, and kept kicking at Stokes until he lost posession. Stokes reacted to this but the ref., who was looking right at the whole thing, left it go.
    and that makes it ok

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I only saw one of the incidents you're talking about. A Hearts defender used his strength to stop Stokes getting to the ball as it was going out of play. Stokes just hassled him and tried to get his foot in. I'd get very frustrated with a big defender just basically pushing me away from the ball.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    i dont want to start a whole debate about the thing but its one side of his game he needs to curtail..... if he's going to play at the top we dont want him to be a rooney or smith type where he is earmarked before he even starts a game by both officials and players

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by greendeiseboy View Post
    i dont want to start a whole debate about the thing but its one side of his game he needs to curtail..... if he's going to play at the top we dont want him to be a rooney or smith type where he is earmarked before he even starts a game by both officials and players
    I would love him to be a rooney type player.
    In Trap we trust

Page 15 of 114 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast