Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 12 of 114 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Anthony Stokes (F free agent b.1988)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Out of curiosity, who was the last player to score successive hat tricks in the SPL? I don't think Larsson ever managed it, but Marco Negri might have done it at Rangers
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Out of curiosity, who was the last player to score successive hat tricks in the SPL? I don't think Larsson ever managed it, but Marco Negri might have done it at Rangers
    I don't know but I'd say anyone that has scored 2 consecutive SPL hattricks would be good enough for our squad. The fact that Stokes is doing it at 18 shouldn't be overlooked just because of the standard of the league. If Stokes proves himself as a top player in the SPL than he's proven himself to me. Very rarely would a top SPL player fail at international level.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ruben_sosa View Post
    Anthony Stokes has been banging in the goals for Arsenal reserves too, i'm sure he'd be able to score against world class international teams like San Marino, Cyprus or Wales.
    Just to clarify, he actually wasn't banging in the goals in the reserve league south last year. He infact only got 3 goals in 22 appearances for the reserves although he did play a number of games as a winger in which he performed well on occassion. Despite his recent goal scoring feats I never got the felling of a natural finisher when I saw him play for Arsenal reserves over the last few years. He's more of an all round solid attacking player than an out and out stiker for me.

As far as Arsenal goes he's still a long way to go although I've always maintained that he's a full development year to work with over the other lads at Arsenal due to his early rise through the ranks. When you see the strike rates of Arturo Lupoli (17 goals in 15 reserve games) and Niclas Bendtner (18 goals in 24 games) for the reserves last year and their current good form in the Chmapionship, it's difficult to see where Stokes will get a chance upfront at Arsenal.

Imo, his best option of breaking through at Arsenal was to develop further as a winger. I imagine it's likely he'll have to move on should he decide he wants to play as a striker only. Saying all that, I'm delighted to see the lad doing well and hope the good form continues for him. There's nothing I'd love to see more than him making a name for himself at the Arsenal.
    Foot.ie - NFL Fantasy Football Champion, 2006!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Karlos View Post
    Just to clarify, he actually wasn't banging in the goals in the reserve league south last year. He infact only got 3 goals in 22 appearances for the reserves although he did play a number of games as a winger in which he performed well on occassion. Despite his recent goal scoring feats I never got the felling of a natural finisher when I saw him play for Arsenal reserves over the last few years. He's more of an all round solid attacking player than an out and out stiker for me.
    I think it's more to do with the positions he was playing at Arsenal. The year before last he was prolific from what I can remember. Bendtner wasn't even around then was he? At Falkirk he's basically playing as a centre forward with other players supporting.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I saw his goals on Setanta today and they were pretty clinical. For all 3 he controlled it instantly with the right foot and lashed them in with the left. Apparently he is right footed. He made them look easy but they only looked that way due to his first touch.
    He also had a couple of other chances. He takes up some great positions and the ball seems to be drawn to him. He looks a stong lad as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    I think it's more to do with the positions he was playing at Arsenal. The year before last he was prolific from what I can remember. Bendtner wasn't even around then was he? At Falkirk he's basically playing as a centre forward with other players supporting.
    The year previous he was 8 goals from 20 appearances, mostly playing as Striker from what I recall. Not bad but again far off his striking rivals. Lupoli got 19 goals in 22 appearances that year and for me remains the only real out and out striker/finisher I've seen at Arsenal in recent years. Bendtner arrived towards the end of this season I believe and got 4 goals from 10 games (only 4 starts). In the same year Jeremie Aliadieere managed 8 in 5 games with the reserves.

I think labelling Stokes strike rate as prolific at Arsenal is slightly overstating it and I'd be a tad worried about us over hyping the kid too soon as we have a habit of in this country. For me I think it's still far too early to be talking about international squad call ups let alone displacing our other experienced strikers. 9 goals in 4 games is a great start to his loan spell (and perhaps finally a step to earning the title 'prolific') but I believe carrying this form into U21 level should be the next step for Anthony. If his performance levels continue then it would certainly be something to look at in a new year friendly imo.
    Last edited by Karlos; 05/11/2006 at 9:49 PM.
    Foot.ie - NFL Fantasy Football Champion, 2006!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Excellent post Karlos. I entirely agree.
    There is no such thing as a miracle cure, a free lunch or a humble opinion.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The fact remains he is the only goalscorer eligible to play for Ireland , scoring consistently, cross-channel. He is the man in form.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Karlos View Post
    The year previous he was 8 goals from 20 appearances, mostly playing as Striker from what I recall.
    Maybe I was wrong about him being prolific that season but he only started 14 of those 20 games from a little search of posts. For some reason he always seemed to be scoring to me which is why I mentioned it.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    My recollection is that he was prolific at underage level, but not at reserve level.

I agree with Dr. Peepee, let him work his way up the system & keep a close eye on him. His form his very encouraging but that's all we can say for now.

As an aside, if an 18 year-old was having the same run of form in the eL, even the First Division, I'd have the same feeling of excitement.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CollegeTillIDie View Post
    The fact remains he is the only goalscorer eligible to play for Ireland , scoring consistently, cross-channel. He is the man in form.
    Billy Clarke is scoring consistently and getting rave reviews in a far more competitive league so not true. He's injured at the moment though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Don't forget Shane Longs hattrick against the Arsenal Reserves. It's just a pity that Long, Stokes and Clarke would have play under Givens at U21 level.
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    According to todays Mirror, Stokes will be named in the full irish squad. When is it announced?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    High praise from the Scottish Herald:

http://www.theherald.co.uk/sport/73707.html

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Apparently Celtic are interested in signing him. I'd be surprised if they were the only ones.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peadar View Post
    Don't forget Shane Longs hattrick against the Arsenal Reserves. It's just a pity that Long, Stokes and Clarke would have play under Givens at U21 level.
    Why is it regarded as such a negative to spend some time in the u21's with Givens as coach?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Why is it regarded as such a negative to spend some time in the u21's with Givens as coach?
    Givens is held in, er, rather poor regard around these parts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    With good reason.
    Top Breeders recommend drinkfeckarse....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    When a man has such an incredibly bad results record, is accountable to no one and tells LoI players that they should move abroad, he doesn't deserve any respect.
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    From the Daily Record:

DUNFERMLINE 0 FALKIRK 3
    By Anthony Haggerty

GREG SHIELDS last night claimed he would have banjoed Falkirk hat-trick hero Anthony Stokes for playing keepie-uppie.

Stokes did a bit of showboating on his way to blasting in his second treble in successive weeks to become the first player to achieve the feat since the SPL's inception.

The 18-year-old on-loan Arsenal kid showed all the finishing prowess of fellow Gunner Thierry Henry, smashing in all of his goals with his weaker left foot as the Bairns routed their managerless derby rivals Dunfermline.

Stokes' glory show took his goals total to nine in four games to become the country's top marksman, although a training-ground challenge from boss John Hughes might have deprived him of the honour.

Pars skipper Shields, though, must have wished the tackle had put the teenager out of action for a spell.

Stokes' cockiness in the second half had the Falkirk fans in raptures as he kept the ball up 10 times in front of them, with mesmerised Pars defender Aaron Labonte watching.