Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 11 of 114 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Anthony Stokes (F free agent b.1988)

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Yep, just saw it announced on Sky's Soccer Saturday. For a kid of 18 to be banging in hat-tricks the way he is... it's pretty amazing!

I've never seen this guy play. Anyone got clips???

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    This is pretty amazing stuff, 8 goals in 3 games for a man who plays in an average team at best. Its not as if he's playing for Real Madrid, tapping in Beckhams assists. In my opinion this guy needs to get capped for the national side, because i dont recall ireland having the resources that allow us to ignore the top scorer in the SPL. What harm in throwing him on in the last half hour against San Marino when we are already 3-0 up?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    He'll get a B call up I reckon. Brady will not let such an Arsenal prospect be bandied around like a fool. A few months ago it was Dixon and we haven't seen him since. What would he gain against San Marino anyway? 90 minutes at B level would be better!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    gotta give the lad a chance IMO.
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Not knowledgable on Scottish football but a quick glance at the league table suggests that Dunfirmline are muck and Falkirk have only half the points of Celtic, after 13 games. I've seen him for Arsenal and he's got ability but he has a lot to learn yet.

Quote Originally Posted by joe_denilson View Post
    Is he on a season long loan? Or is it under review at Christmas?
    He's on a 5 month loan deal, which started in September.
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Garcia View Post
    Just shows what confidence can do. His first few games were quiet & no goals scored. Three so far today.

I can't help feeling that both Jack and even Mick were well able to give a young player great confidence when making an early debut for Ireland. Even Kerr to an extent.

Don't believe Staunton can get near to instilling the same level of confidence in a young player.
    Based on our 3 games so far I think there is more evidence than not, to suggest that Stan sets up the new caps very nicely.
    McShane, Kelly and Douglas looked to me to be very well prepared for the task. Exactly just what the squad needed, the first 11 will have to earn their place.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Just shows what confidence can do. His first few games were quiet & no goals scored. Three so far today.

I can't help feeling that both Jack and even Mick were well able to give a young player great confidence when making an early debut for Ireland. Even Kerr to an extent.

Don't believe Staunton can get near to instilling the same level of confidence in a young player.

Can't say for sure but I think even though he didn't score in the first couple of games he hit the bar a couple of times and was involved in the goals scored in some way. Says more for the lad that it didn't get him down. Excellent to see. Still think we should leave him in the underage set up for now.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Based on our 3 games so far I think there is more evidence than not, to suggest that Stan sets up the new caps very nicely.
    McShane, Kelly and Douglas looked to me to be very well prepared for the task. Exactly just what the squad needed, the first 11 will have to earn their place.
    I'm sorry if you think Stan has prepared players well for the task ahead, you have watched recent games which are different to the ones I have seen.

Although I was really talking about blooding very young players, like the Robbie Keane debut when he was about 17 or 18.

Anyway Douglas is about 25, hardly can be considered young, and Kelly is about 23, the same I would suggest. McShane I agree did very well on his debut - I'm not sure how confident Staunton can be about claiming credit as he was forced to field him due to injuries and suspensions. Kelly also had a nightmare against Chile.

Note you omit to mention O'Brien. Also more importantly Stephen Ireland. Two players who meet the criteria!

Not really interested in morale victories any more - had enough of them, Roy Keane would have viewed the Czech result as a huge disappointment, and I would agree with him. Won't be too difficult for any half decent player to earn their place in Stan's team - goalkeeper excepted.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_peepee View Post
    Excellent to see. Still think we should leave him in the underage set up for now.
    Agree, though if he continues to score at his rate, and we continue to miss the target we may need to reconsider.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    play him for Ireland now, we've already ****ed up our chances for Euro 2008, so what's to lose?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Celtic v Falkirk is on Setanta next Tuesday. It's a CIS cup tie so Celtic will field a weakened team but hopefully Stokes starts. Players would rarely get more than a couple of chances at Celtic Park so it'll be a big test for him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    I don't think Stokes has shown any more potential than what Billy Clarke at Ipswich and Shane Long at Reading have done, both of whom are playing at a higher level than what Stokes is currently playing at.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    I don't think Stokes has shown any more potential than what Billy Clarke at Ipswich and Shane Long at Reading have done, both of whom are playing at a higher level than what Stokes is currently playing at.
    He's top scorer in the league by 2 goals already... Forget about "showing any more potential". Stokes has been one of the best players in the league this season. Long hasn't, Clarke hasn't.

Stokes didn't join Falkirk until after their first 5 league games of the season. The fact that he is already top scorer is absolutely incredible.
    Last edited by eirebhoy; 05/11/2006 at 10:08 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    He's top scorer in the league by 2 goals already... Forget about "showing any more potential". Stokes has been one of the best players in the league this season. Long hasn't, Clarke hasn't.

Stokes didn't join Falkirk until after their first 5 league games of the season. The fact that he is already top scorer is absolutely incredible.
    Scoring two successive hat-tricks is impressive - granted. However they were against the two worst teams in a (very) poor league. He's also playing in a position where we have plenty of options so it better if his focus is on getting a place in the Arsenal team than being confused and mis-managed by the coaching guru that is Stan. His time will come - it's just not now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    just seen the goals
    two things struck me

he doesnt look like he'd make it arsenal
    the level of defending hes facing is worse than irish first division

very poor

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    Scoring two successive hat-tricks is impressive - granted. However they were against the two worst teams in a (very) poor league. He's also playing in a position where we have plenty of options so it better if his focus is on getting a place in the Arsenal team than being confused and mis-managed by the coaching guru that is Stan. His time will come - it's just not now.
    best-league-in-the-world-is-the-premiership legend Robbie Keane couldn't score against one of the worst teams in the world on Oct 7th, he has no goals in the competition so far, and you say we have plenty of options up front Robbie Keane couldn't score in the SPL the way he's playing at the moment, Anthony Stokes has been banging in the goals for Arsenal reserves too, i'm sure he'd be able to score against world class international teams like San Marino, Cyprus or Wales. When will people drop this cliche that international football is a step up from the quality of club football?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wws View Post
    just seen the goals
    two things struck me

he doesnt look like he'd make it arsenal
    the level of defending hes facing is worse than irish first division

very poor
    haha. I'm not laughing at the second point as maybe you're right but how in the name of God could you come up with that first point based on 3 clinical finishes?

btw - Celtic v Hearts highlights was on before the Falkirk match. imo Celtic's defence looked worse than Dunfermline's. Did they look worse than an Irish first division defence? Celtic only managed to beat Dunfermline 1-0 at home this season. Fair play to Stokes for grabbing a hattrick.
    Last edited by eirebhoy; 05/11/2006 at 11:42 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Taking all other factors out of the equation and looking only at his finishing, even I was impressed. Identical for all 3 goals yesterday, one touch with his right to control, one touch with his weaker left to finish. Fastest goal in the league, to date, this season.

I'll make an effort to watch the game on Tuesday.
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    my point was i cant see him making it at arsenal - he will make it elsewhere but not arsenal - hasnt got killer pace

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I'm sorry if you think Stan has prepared players well for the task ahead, you have watched recent games which are different to the ones I have seen..
    Well Paddy, I did say specifically the NEW caps.

Although I was really talking about blooding very young players, like the Robbie Keane debut when he was about 17 or 18.
    Anyway Douglas is about 25, hardly can be considered young, and Kelly is about 23, the same I would suggest. McShane I agree did very well on his debut - I'm not sure how confident Staunton can be about claiming credit as he was forced to field him due to injuries and suspensions. Kelly also had a nightmare against Chile.
    Note you omit to mention O'Brien. Also more importantly Stephen Ireland. Two players who meet the criteria!
    We were also desperate for options up front when Mick played Keane. It could also be said that Duff was more than ready for a starting place for 2 years.
    Int. managers are generally conservative, it's the nature of int. team selections with a few games scattered over the year.
    McShane credits Stan for his defensive tactics in that game.
    It's clear that Stan is willing to draft in new players.

It doesn't look to me that it's a situation whereby Stan is not good for young players, the question is Stan's ability to be decisive that players like O'Brien needs more time.

Page 11 of 114 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast