Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 101 of 114 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,020 of 2276

Thread: Anthony Stokes (F free agent b.1988)

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    I thought Stokes' father's political views are well known?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Haha, libellous indeed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    You wrote 11 paragraphs so you must be right Danny.
    Nine paragraphs and two sentences!

Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    You suggest Foran's response to being followed, punched, given sectarian abuse and trying to mediate a fight was inappropriate yet breaking someone's jaw because they are urinating in public is an appropriate response? If the latter was true, then there would be a lot of young Irish adults getting broken jaws every night of the week.
    That wasn't what I said at all. The judge and the jury of each case obviously looked at each incident independently and gave their verdicts based upon the respective sets of facts before them. Foran was clearly seen to have acted in a disproportionate manner. I didn't give a concrete opinion on it myself as to whether or not I thought his reaction was appropriate as I didn't witness the incident. In the Deegan case, the jury with the aid of CCTV footage adjudged Hill's punch to be proportionate and justified in the circumstances; they seemingly felt that the circumstances justified such an act of self-defence. Why are you pretending both cases might be equivalent or that you possess enough knowledge to assert that the courts' conclusions were incorrect in both? Because the lads involved were Irish?

The lad's comments about Stokes were libellous because he insinuated that Stokes' father is an IRA sympathiser.
    Many papers have stated the same. Stokes and his father have been in attendance at Real IRA memorial events. His sympathies are public knowledge.

Who knows whether his tweet was
    Serious or not? Do you suggest threats like that are to be ignored? He didn't show genuine remorse. He only apologised after his efforts to cover his tracks failed and he was bricking it that he'd go to prison.
    I'm just saying they ought to be dealt with sensibly. If the threat doesn't appear to be serious after investigation, why throw a young lad in prison for being an idiot? What's "genuine remorse" to you? He apologised. All parties are satisfied. Move on.

Celtic and Rangers continue to be reprimanded because of sectarian chanting and political protests.
    Sectarian chanting does exist, but so does draconian legislation that criminalises more benign activities associated with matches of Scottish football supporters. What's your gripe with political protests?

And on a final note, bullets in the mail have been intercepted and several death threats have been aimed at Celtic's NI contingent.

But sure there is no "intent" or "malice" so what harm?
    You're putting words in my mouth again. I'm simply asking you who posted the bullets? Who made the death threats? You don't know.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Tbf, people were convicted in certain instances, though the 'correspondence' sent to Niall McGinn whilst at Celtic, not sure that case was ever resolved?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts

Rangers fan threatens to stab Stokes and blow up his dad

"Regards the tweet I got last night, the boy who sent it got in touch and apologised so that's it done! We all make stupid mistakes we regret"

Threatening to stab a person and kill a dad, is all in a day's experience? a stupid mistake we all make?

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Can't bate a bit of Old Firm banter

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Think he's trying to say there's some not very nice people in Scotland, including plenty of anti-Irish haters.
    We all know that. He's just throwing around vague/blind/exaggerated accusations of anti-Irishness/sectarianism though and seems to be advocating further draconian legislation and an excessive curbing of civil liberties on the basis of those accusations when he really doesn't know what he's talking about. The solution to eradicating sectarianism will primarily be a social one; not a legal one.

Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Tbf, people were convicted in certain instances, though the 'correspondence' sent to Niall McGinn whilst at Celtic, not sure that case was ever resolved?
    Who was convicted and in relation to which incidents? William Kilpatrick, a Rangers fan, was convicted for urging fellow Rangers fans on Facebook to send mail bombs and bullets to Neil Lennon - "Neil Lennon's a f*cking c*nt, get mair bullets and bombs sent, boys, Glasgow Rangers Champions" - but I don't think he was ever accused of posting any himself. Were the sources of the other bullets in the mail ever uncovered?

Even the LVF, who were alleged to have sent the death threat to Neil Lennon all those years ago, explicitly denied any involvement in the phonecall that was actually made to the BBC. No codeword was given during the phonecall either, which would suggest it probably didn't come from a paramilitary organisation. If the LVF had really intended to threaten Lennon's life (or to at least make the message or their supposed intent public), why would they later deny it had anything to do with them? The idea behind a paramilitary organisation taking responsibility for something is so that their alleged capabilities are made known and so that the act can be associated with their cause. Denying responsibility for something they have actually done in furtherance of their cause would kind of defeat the purpose.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I thought Stokes' father's political views are well known?
    Well he told the Queen she's not welcomed to his pub. I heard she was gutted about that.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    You're great at talking around a subject, Danny. You would make a great defense lawyer.

I'm afraid you will never convince me that Richie Foran's reaction to being followed, smacked several times and trying in vain to prevent a physical altercation was in any way inappropriate; likewise Gary Deegan's. FFS Deegan was the person assaulted, unless the cobbles or tarmac are the victim. Call the police if you have a problem with someone urinating in public. Don't start a fight and break someone's jaw. I didn't bring up juries, you did. I hope you are never assaulted because, if you were, you might find out that justice is not always proportionate. Plenty of people get away with assaults and much worse than that. And yes it does - since you bring it up - have a little bit to do with nationality. There are how many Irish footballers in Scotland and how many of them have been in physical altercations, beatings or threats. Compare it to Wales or England; then completely simplify what I am saying and tell me I am painting all of them with the same brush.

Anthony Stokes went to the funeral of a friend - who happened to be an IRA member. His father put up a banner saying the Queen isn't welcome at his pub. How does that make them IRA sympathisers? You only read the rags when it suits your argument?

I'll say it again. Apologising because you were scared of getting in legal trouble is not remorse, after trying to erase his cyber footsteps no less. And I'll say this again. You can not threaten to stab and blow people up in the environment of the year 2014 with things like 9/11, 7/7, the Rigby murder and ISIS raw in the public conscience. YES. He mightn't have been serious. Nobody is calling for a life sentence. He still needs to be punished for the same reason cowards who racially abuse footballers from behind a computer need to be punished and made an example of.

Political protest have no place in football. Nor does sectarian and racist chanting. You wouldn't get it in far worse off countries let alone Northern Europe. It is an embarrassment.

Why is it important knowing who specifically made the relevant death threats or who posted them? It's beside the point. They were made.

And re:your second post.

Foran & Doran's assault was sectarian. O'Dea's was sectarian. Lennon's was sectarian. The threats against McGinn, McCourt and Lennon were sectarian. There are several more who have been victims of sectarian chanting. When Mario Balotelli is subjected to monkey chants it's inexcusable. Why is it excusable for Irish footballers to be abused because of their religion or nationality?

On a final note. There is no need to be so insulting or condescending. I don't resort to that. You're one of the best posters here. I expect better of you.
    Last edited by TheOneWhoKnocks; 05/11/2014 at 6:11 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Alright lads, take it to your inboxes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I've posted a response to you here, TOWK.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/sc...744943#rlabs=4

Hearts owner calls the kettle black; Stokes laments torrent of sectarian abuse at Tynecastle; Stokes victim of more sectarian abuse on Twitter, calling it "dangerous".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/f...-being-8255059

Linked with a move to Cardiff in the January transfer window.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    'Anthony Stokes still has a future with the Bhoys': http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/an...-31014447.html

Quote Originally Posted by The Herald
    Ronny Deila has insisted that Anthony Stokes still has a future at Celtic despite being left out of the squad that beat Hamilton Accies 4-0 yesterday.

It was the second game running that Stokes was absent from the match-day squad after returning late from Dublin for the Europa League tie with Inter Milan.

Ronny Deila described it as a minor issue after the draw with Inter Milan but the 26-year-old was again left on the sidelines yesterday with Mubarek Wakaso given a place on the bench despite barely featuring all season.

Stokes’ indiscretion comes at the worst possible time with the arrival of Stuart Armstrong and Gary Mackay-Steven adding to the competition for place in Deila’s reformed midfield.

“Yes, that’s 100% the case,” Deila replied when asked if Stokes’ absence was down to football reasons. “Anthony has things he was to improve and work on. He’s very motivated to do that.”

After appearing as a second-half sub against St Johnstone last week, Stokes returned to Dublin for the weekend but missed his Tuesday morning flight to Glasgow after getting caught up in traffic.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Played against Sean Dillon's Dundee United in a 1-1 draw in the SFA Cup. He hit the post when one on one (excused somewhat by a terribly bumpy pitch) and conceded the penalty from which United scored. Commentators said it was harsh but I think they were looking at both players' feet which didn't collide, but in my opinion the ref was right, or at least not wrong, to award the penalty because Stokes caught the attacking player on the upper thigh with his own upper thigh, which is what put him down. A fair call in my opinion.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Linked with Cardiff: http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/f...r-move-9087902

If he made the move that would mean he's played in all three mainland UK capitals. He'd only need to finish his career at Cliftonville to complete the UK.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Linked with Cardiff: http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/f...r-move-9087902

If he made the move that would mean he's played in all three mainland UK capitals. He'd only need to finish his career at Cliftonville to complete the UK.
    Or Linfield!

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eitoof View Post
    Or Linfield!
    That'd go down well with the extended family

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    That lad needs to get out of his comfort zone and make something of his career. He already has the trophies.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    He mightn't be hitting the net with great regularity these days but he knows how to stick a ball in to the back of a car boot http://www.talkingbaws.com/2015/05/2...from-50-yards/
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.