Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 63 of 114 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,260 of 2276

Thread: Anthony Stokes (F free agent b.1988)

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acornvilla View Post
    yo know that people use the argument thathe is playing in a bad team as one argument as to why he wont make it as a player? i dont understand that argument because if hibs are as bad a team (they are not as bad as some people seem to feel) as people say they are than should he not be applauded because scoring for a ''bad'' team is surley much harder than it is scoring for a good team? just an observation
    I think the argument goes along two lines - it is easier to look good in a bad team because you stand out compared to your team mates, whereas with a better team the same standard of play might not get a player noticed, and also because if you are with a bad team you are likely to be playing other bad teams and not proving yourself against the best quality opposition.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    I think the argument goes along two lines - it is easier to look good in a bad team because you stand out compared to your team mates, whereas with a better team the same standard of play might not get a player noticed, and also because if you are with a bad team you are likely to be playing other bad teams and not proving yourself against the best quality opposition.
    yep i get what your saying im more so saying that people shouldnt hold it against him that he is in a bad team? liam millar and mcgeady playes the same players week in week out as did james mccarthy and in the past roy keane.. and henrick laarson

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acornvilla View Post
    yep i get what your saying im more so saying that people shouldnt hold it against him that he is in a bad team? liam millar and mcgeady playes the same players week in week out as did james mccarthy and in the past roy keane.. and henrick laarson
    The other point is, that some players just cannot handle the pressure of being at a bigger club or playing at the bigger stage. Take Darren Bent for example. He made his big career move to date, when he joined Spurs, but ultimately the move failed for him, because in my opinion he hasn't got what it takes to perform at a higher level. He's gone back to a smaller club with smaller ambition and he seems to have found his level again. This is why he'll not make it into the England squad, and even if he does, he won't perform.

This is why McGeady and Stokes will never be better than what they are now. They are not mentally strong enough to perform at the next level, because they are not prepared to take the added pressures and responsibilities that go with a bigger club with more ambition.

Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Bit harsh on Sidwell, he seems a decent pro just didnt have the talent to make it at Arsenal

Perhaps a bit harsh, but you have to agree with me that Sidwell knew what he was doing when he decided to leave Reading for Chelsea. Yes, I'm sure he thought he was ambitious enough to perhaps make a stake for a place in the first team, but it was obviously the lure of a much greater salary that sealed the deal. Also he must have at least assessed the situation with the amount of midfielders Chelsea had, and accepted the fact that he was most likely not going to have much if any first team football. In my opinion that's a fairly disgusting attitude.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by noddy102 View Post
    This is why McGeady and Stokes will never be better than what they are now. They are not mentally strong enough to perform at the next level, because they are not prepared to take the added pressures and responsibilities that go with a bigger club with more ambition.

Im sorry but that is a load of rubbish. Stokes is still a kid who didnt make it under a manager who played him out of position whenever he did play him.To say a 21 year will never be better than what he is now is a load of crap. As for McGeady,the best example I can think of straight off is his performances against Arsenal in both legs of the Champions League qualifiers this season. He was brilliant in both games and proved that he was well capable of performing against that sort of opposition.

Im actually getting a bit sick of the constant knocking and writing off of young players on this forum. As I said previously in this thread, Shay Given was released by Celtic and he would probably have been written off by people on this forum, likewise Richard Dunne when he was struggling earlier in his career.Plenty of people until recently were saying that John O Shea was crap.Damien Duff was in and out of the Ireland team until the qualifying campaign for the 2002 world cup when he established himself fully about halfway through the campaign, I think he was about the same age as McGeady is now.
    Not every young player that is highly rated as a youngster will develop as was hoped for one reason or another, Sean Thornton and Richie Partridge are 2 examples of that.But sometimes I think that unless the player turns out to be another Messi or Pele at the age of 20 some people start writing their whole careers off
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by noddy102 View Post
    The other point is, that some players just cannot handle the pressure of being at a bigger club or playing at the bigger stage. Take Darren Bent for example. He made his big career move to date, when he joined Spurs, but ultimately the move failed for him, because in my opinion he hasn't got what it takes to perform at a higher level. He's gone back to a smaller club with smaller ambition and he seems to have found his level again. This is why he'll not make it into the England squad, and even if he does, he won't perform.

Perhaps a bit harsh, but you have to agree with me that Sidwell knew what he was doing when he decided to leave Reading for Chelsea. Yes, I'm sure he thought he was ambitious enough to perhaps make a stake for a place in the first team, but it was obviously the lure of a much greater salary that sealed the deal. Also he must have at least assessed the situation with the amount of midfielders Chelsea had, and accepted the fact that he was most likely not going to have much if any first team football. In my opinion that's a fairly disgusting attitude.
    You make some pretty staggering statements there my friend. First you claim neither Stokes or McGeady have the mental capability of playing at a higher level. Then you claim that Steve Sidwell has a disgusting attitude for making an attempt to do so.

Also to say Darren Bent has "found his level" at Sunderland is a bit off too. Like Stokes, Bent has benefitted from a team who plays to his strengths. He was never the target man Spurs wanted him to be.
    Likewise Stokes has benefitted from having a manager who recognises his strengths and gets the best from him. Like playing him in his favoured position.

If anything I think a failed spell in the EPL will do Stokes the world of good if it leads him to mature a bit more. Stokes is a very gifted young footballer with a bit of an attitude but he will most certainly improve.

People tend to forget that there are generally not alot of 18-19 year old players let alone strikers making an impact consistently in the EPL. Which is the age Stokes was when he played there.

This constant dismissing of young Irish players is pretty tiring to be honest.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Wasn't Darren Bent Spurs' top scorer last season?

Anthony Stokes cannot do anything right in alot of peoples opinion but people need to realise he is only a kid and is working very hard now in Scotland. It might not be the best league in the world but they are in 3rd spot behind Celtic and Rangers and seem to be performing well. It would be nice to see him amongst the top 3 goalscorers up there this season!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Strongbow10 View Post
    This constant dismissing of young Irish players is pretty tiring to be honest.
    Its annoying alright. Thankfully, its just a handful of moronic/WUM posters.

Best ignored.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior View Post
    Its annoying alright. Thankfully, its just a handful of moronic/WUM posters.

Best ignored.
    It is sad to say but the forum is missing Eirebhoy (RIP) badly. You are right though, best ignored.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Stokes I feel will do a job for Ireland, of all the so called young prospects he is the one I feel will rise to the top. If he keeps scoring he will grow in confidence and he seems to have that '**** you' persona that is a huge asset in a striker. He looks to be getting stronger and relishing getting 1st team football

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yapster View Post
    Stokes I feel will do a job for Ireland, of all the so called young prospects he is the one I feel will rise to the top. If he keeps scoring he will grow in confidence and he seems to have that '**** you' persona that is a huge asset in a striker. He looks to be getting stronger and relishing getting 1st team football
    strange that you believe McCarthy won't make it yet he scored for fun in a poorer team and in the same league that now Stokes is scoring in yet you seem to think this same criteria for Stokes (who is older than McCarthy) identifies him as the better prospect . Are you being inconsistent here
    Bring back the plank

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    strange that you believe McCarthy won't make it yet he scored for fun in a poorer team and in the same league that now Stokes is scoring in yet you seem to think this same criteria for Stokes (who is older than McCarthy) identifies him as the better prospect . Are you being inconsistent here

Just a hunch thats all folks.

I think the kid at Everton is going to make as well as Stokes so thats two.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    I think while it is unfair to write Stokes off at 21 as he may deliver on his potential in years to come, it's not unfair to say that he isn't an immediate issue when it comes Irish strikers. Looking at it from afar, the questions to be answered in the near future are:
    1. Should Simon Cox be given an opportunity to prove himself?
    2. Who is our best option as last quarter big target man? Leon Best or Caleb Folan (or even Clinton Morrison)?
    I can even see Terry Dixon, as long as he remains fit, becoming a realistic option sooner than Stokes as there can be no doubting his application and so is more likely to fulfil his potential quicker.

Having said that, I would take issue with those who belittle his scoring record at Falkirk because of the quality of the league. He went on loan as an eighteen-year-old and play with unfamiliar players on one of the weaker teams of a lopsided league and then scored nearly as many goals in half a season as international players Kris Boyd and Scott McDonald scored in a full season and more than Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink did in 2/3 and that is no small feat.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    2. Who is our best option as last quarter big target man? Leon Best or Caleb Folan (or even Clinton Morrison)?
    Leon Best put in a few decent performances for us the last campaign, Bulgaria away for one when he came on, scores regularly in the championship but am not sure if he would get many for us. Was very poor when he came on at home to France, albeit I think he may have only got 15 mins or so.

Folans most notable performance for us was away to Italy where he was a thorn in their defence, made a nuisance of himself more than anything else. But other than that, not much. He needs to get a move, I see he has put in a transfer request, cant see him scoring regularly in the EPL or Championship though.

I think Clint wouldve been worth a shot this campaign, always did well for us and scored a few decent goals in his time, Swiss away comes to mind. However his level is the championship.

Noel Hunt/Shane Long, Ive seen nothing from these two lads to suggest they should be in the squad regularly. This was Longs season to really break through, he started the season first choice in Reading and hasnt scored a single goal. I think Lou Macari was commentating on their cup game against Liverpool last week and mentioned that from what he has seen Long is not a striker and would be more effective as a winger. The odd time I have seen him, I would tend to agree.

Stokes, terrible attitude in the past, perhaps this is changing now and he is back in the goals again. he is on an upward trend and if this continues he certainly could offer alot to us in the future.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yapster View Post

I think the kid at Everton is going to make as well as Stokes so thats two.
    Who is the kid at Everton?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    either coleman(whose not a kid so shows how little he knows) or duffy who might declare for us same situation as gibson??

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    I think Clint wouldve been worth a shot this campaign, always did well for us and scored a few decent goals in his time, Swiss away comes to mind. However his level is the championship.
    Morrison is the best finisher we have - maybe even better than Keane - but he doesn't have the all-round game to command a regular place. I think he could hack a couple of seasons in the Premiership, though.

Clint's best goal was against Israel away - unreal finish. Home to China was brilliant too.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/spor...Roy-Keane.html

That interview seems to show that Stokes is starting to grow up a bit
    Its really not that complicated!!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts
    2 more for Stokesie this afternoon against Hamilton.
    "There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the fault of his feet" - Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    13 for him now this season

heres hoping he keeps it up for the rest of the season...

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    he has the abilty there never been the qustion.

its his attitude that stinks but he starting to cop on ever so slightly at present.