Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 22 of 114 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast

Thread: Anthony Stokes (F free agent b.1988)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    Played once against Rangers and twice against Celtic. Excellent in both games against Celtic.

He was at the Falkrik vs Hearts match and everyone presumed he was watching Stokes.
    Hmmmm Hearts having self induced meltdown and offloading players like Steven Pressley, perhaps thats who Keane was watching?
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    Hmmmm Hearts having self induced meltdown and offloading players like Steven Pressley, perhaps thats who Keane was watching?
    Just because he hasn't inquired about Stokes doesn't mean he isn't keeping tabs on him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Wenger on Stokes quoted in todays Daily Star.
    "Stokes&Bendtner have a future with us and we want to keep them.We beleived in Stokes potential when he came here and it is no suprise that he attracts interest.He is gifted physically and technically.He also has that Irish desire.He was just a boy when he came here first.He was very very promising when he came here so early.I remember when I saw him training with us at 15-he was unbelievably strong.He stood still a little bit after that but now he has developed more.Taking such a big step forward in the SPL is a bit suprising but he always had that scoring streak when young.When you score at that age it always come back even if you lose it at 17."

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Strange comment really!! Hardly unwavouring support from Wenger is it!! Standing still!! Losing it at 17!! No wonder he had to get away to take the next step foward.

He's better off away from Arsenal based purely on them comments.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheifo View Post
    Wenger on Stokes quoted in todays Daily Star.
    "Stokes&Bendtner have a future with us and we want to keep them.We beleived in Stokes potential when he came here and it is no suprise that he attracts interest.He is gifted physically and technically.He also has that Irish desire.He was just a boy when he came here first.He was very very promising when he came here so early.I remember when I saw him training with us at 15-he was unbelievably strong.He stood still a little bit after that but now he has developed more.Taking such a big step forward in the SPL is a bit suprising but he always had that scoring streak when young.When you score at that age it always come back even if you lose it at 17."
    Wenger also said this at the end of the interview (from eleven-a-side):

"He has made a big step up to the SPL and has done very well - I’m very happy about it. Ideally, I’d like all of our young kids on loan to come back to Arsenal.”

Read into that what you like but it says to me that he is either lieing and will offload some of the young strikers, which could include stokes, or that he'll bring them all back and let them fight it out between them for a place in the first team squad. Arsenal also have the financial clout to bring in a proven striker too. Maybe Stokes will make it there but it's going to be difficult.
    One thing that surprises me is that Arsenal haven't gone out and bought a fox-in-the-box type striker. All the lovely play then have the the first 2/3 of the field but nobody in the box to finish off the chances.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,339 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Praha View Post
    One thing that surprises me is that Arsenal haven't gone out and bought a fox-in-the-box type striker.
    The last time they tried that, they got Francis Jeffers, more than enough of a reason not to go for a similar player!!
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    Just because he hasn't inquired about Stokes doesn't mean he isn't keeping tabs on him.
    http://www.eleven-a-side.com/acrosst...p?newsid=25827

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,916 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_peepee View Post
    Strange comment really!! Hardly unwavouring support from Wenger is it!! Standing still!! Losing it at 17!! No wonder he had to get away to take the next step foward.

He's better off away from Arsenal based purely on them comments.
    So Stan's comment about Stokes going backwards at Arsenal were not that far off the mark, maybe even a bullseye.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    So Stan's comment about Stokes going backwards at Arsenal were not that far off the mark, maybe even a bullseye.
    stokes has admitted though that he's much preferring the centre forward role this season compared to his wing role in arsenal reserves last year

it was the context of stans remark that was befuddling..coming in the lead up to san marino when he hadnt picked stokes.
    http://www.elevenaside.com/boysingre...p?newsid=25266

irelands rugby manager eddie o sullivan says his main criterion for selection is....form in the few weeks up to a match....not what a player might or might not have done a few months previous, especially i'd if they switched clubs switched positions and (i use it loosely) turn their form around

stokes had clearly shown his form and potential and if stan hadnt seen him play at falkirk would he have watched arsenal reserves, when, realistically, there was much less clamour over stokes?( rhetorical question)

you cant hit the bullseye if theres no board

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Praha View Post
    Wenger also said this at the end of the interview (from eleven-a-side):

"He has made a big step up to the SPL and has done very well - I’m very happy about it. Ideally, I’d like all of our young kids on loan to come back to Arsenal.”

Read into that what you like but it says to me that he is either lieing and will offload some of the young strikers, which could include stokes, or that he'll bring them all back and let them fight it out between them for a place in the first team squad. Arsenal also have the financial clout to bring in a proven striker too. Maybe Stokes will make it there but it's going to be difficult.
    One thing that surprises me is that Arsenal haven't gone out and bought a fox-in-the-box type striker. All the lovely play then have the the first 2/3 of the field but nobody in the box to finish off the chances.
    Wenger might have another use for Stokes !!

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/hi/sport/6030254.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    I'm going to the falkirk game on saturday- hopefully this chap will be playing

how many people here have actually seen him play?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I have seen him play 3 or 4 times this season, he looks like he has a lot of potential, he is fast, strong, like floating out wide to the flanks, and likes to score with both feet. He is still only young however a rough diamond so to speak, and hasnt scored ina few games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Arsenal have refused to extend his loan period to Falkirk. His last game is tomorrow. Arsenal will either sell him or may start to blood him in their first team.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    The Independent this morning reported that Stokes himself has called on Arsenal to let him know where his future lies.

Makes reference to Celtic and Charlton interest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    all the more reason to go and see him play then!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    He's class. The best talent to come out of here since Robbie Keane. He's a natural finisher with serious flair, all this depite being undoubtedly a rough diamond. I honestly think Celtic would be a terrible move, but this Charlton thing is interesting... Going there permanently would be awful, but what would people's views on a further loan move? I think it could make sense. Its the Premiership, Charlton need strikers, spending money is inherently risky with the probability of relegation, Arsenal would like to see him in action at the highest level,(Higher than Sunderland in Championship or SPL) its a way of blooding him for eventual first team look in at Arsenal (Everybody knows they need to start looking at strikers,Aliaderie is absolutely useless, for a starter) Pardew is a good boss etc... Though I'll admit the fact that Charlton are deplorable at the moment would have to be taken into consideration though! Pressley just turned them down today actually...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/2006/1229/stokes.html

"It depends on him. I will not force him to come back."

That sounds like Wenger would prefer to have him back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Not even half time and Stokes has got 2 goals today against Inverness.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    His 3rd hattrick of the season.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    So 16 goals already this season?

Wow.
    There is no such thing as a miracle cure, a free lunch or a humble opinion.

Page 22 of 114 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast