Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 21 of 114 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast

Thread: Anthony Stokes (F free agent b.1988)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,339 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cavan_fan View Post
    Rossi's loan ends in January and I cant see it being extended by either side.
    I know, I meant Fergie can't call him back immediately.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,339 Posts
    According to BBC, Celtic have had a 700k bid for Stokes turned down by Arsenal
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Apparently they are holding out for a million. Even that's a joke of a fee considering Theo Walcott who consequently done hardly anything of note for Southampton last year in a similar amount of first team appearances was bought by them for 12 mill. I suppose he's English though and Stokes isn't so that might explain it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Or the fact that the prices quoted were what the buying clubs felt the selling clubs would sell for in both cases.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/hi/sport/6030163.html

The Evening Times have plenty of sources at Celtic so wouldn't publish something as fact if it wasn't.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,916 Posts
    I haven't seen Stokes play. It looks to me that he has achieved more than expected of him and has turned a lot of heads in his direction. Unless Arsenal are desperate for relatively small change wouldn't it be foolish to let Stokes go? According to reports he wants to make it at Arsenal. Even if he didn't make the first team, Arsenal would not lose out on his transfer fee after another year. If he did make it, it would be a dream situation for the club and player.
    I wouldn't be at all dissapointed if Wenger decided to hold on to Stokes.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Paddy View Post
    Wenger barely knows who he is.
    Really?
    even if that is true surely someone who does know stokes(liam "stokes is the new bergkamp" brady or some scout) reports to wenger on his progress?

i would love to see him get a chance at arsenal but if he is to be sold i dont think Celtic is the club for him to develop his undoubted, IMO, potential.
    seasoned players like miller, zurawski, hesselink would all need to be dislodged, as well as riordan(who was excellent at hibs but hasnt yet made an impact) while other young players maloney and beattie are in the waiting line and have played very well at times.(being a kerryman it'd be great to see another striker, young diarmuid o carroll getting a chance!!) its hard to see stokes getting a decent run in team unless strachan reckons he's the new king henrik. so if he is to move a mediocre premiership team with less competition for places would surely be a better option for stokes..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Stokes is good enough for Celtic's first 11 now but whether Strachan would play him immediately is another matter. I think he'll make a big effort to get him in next month.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,916 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Paddy View Post
    Wenger barely knows who he is.
    There's nothing like a bit of perceived criticism of Arsene's world to slightly expand the boundaries of "barely knows". Trust Stan to stick the boot in where it's not very welcome.
    http://www.eleven-a-side.com/acrosst...p?newsid=25450

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    And rightly so. That's an insult to the lad. If Arsenal hold on to him until the end of the season, he'd be worth a lot more. I'd love to see him going to a club where football is coached, like Ajax or somewhere.
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,339 Posts
    from football365.com today:

GUNNERS WON'T SELL STOKES
    As one of the many Arsenal players currently tearing up the lower divisions (well, Scottish divisions, which is the same thing), Anthony Stokes is a tempting target for little clubs like Sunderland, Wolves and Celtic.

But the Daily Record say Arsenal have told the Glasgow club they have absolutely no chance of snapping up the striker when his loan deal to Falkirk ends.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Yup, its true...Seemingly. Wenger apparently says he wants to keep him at Arsenal because he reckons he has a big future at the club and he's most definitely worth holding onto... Shock Horror!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    so it seems wenger does know who he is after all tuff

i presume he'll see out the season with falkirk maybe win a cup medal(only arsenal player to win anything this season!) and hopefully make the step up next year for the gooners.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    Stokes is good enough for Celtic's first 11 now but whether Strachan would play him immediately is another matter. I think he'll make a big effort to get him in next month.
    Do you think? I think you are placing him on an awfully high pedalstal if you think Strachan will drop Hesselink or Miller to make way for him.

I rate him better than Zuwawski who I think is a very average player but don't forget Derek Riordan is also there and he's a proven SPL goalscorer. Let's also not forget Craig Beattie who will be in the reckoning if he can get his injury problems behind him.

I've said it all along that I've been impressed by what I've seen of Stokes but he has played less than 20 senior games. It's too soon to judge him. He hasn't hit a slump in form yet and when he does it'll be a test for him to see how he reacts to it.

I'd personally prefer him to go to a club where he will be able to continue to play week in week out. That's what he needs for his career now and that's the only way he will keep progressing at the rate he is. I wouldn't say no to him at Celtic, I just think it's better for him if he goes elsewhere.
    Top Breeders recommend drinkfeckarse....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kingdom hoop View Post
    so it seems wenger does know who he is after all tuff.
    Of course Wenger knows who he is, he simply doesn't go out watching youth games every week or go up to Scotland to watch his loanees. He has enough youth and reserve coaches to see after those affairs for him. That's how it's done at top clubs. Liam Brady will be feeding information back to Wenger on Stokes' progress.

If Arsenal get past Liverpool in the Carling Cup on Tuesday night, I'd like to see Stokes return and play a part in that competiton after Christmas.
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peadar View Post

If Arsenal get past Liverpool in the Carling Cup on Tuesday night, I'd like to see Stokes return and play a part in that competiton after Christmas.
    yeah, and sit on his h*le for the rest of the time instead of gaining valuable experience playing in competitive matches north of the border week in week out
    I have a head only Snow White would love

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Wenger would learn more about Stokes playing a game or two for Arsenals first team than he would from letting him play another half season for Falkirk where he has already proven he can do the business. that or else as loan to weaker premiership club like watford is what should happen i think. He can only score against what is put in front of him, so how can wenger dismiss him , when hes done that so far. No one can say he's not good enough for arsenals first team yet even though theres a chance he wont be

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drinkfeckarse View Post
    Do you think? I think you are placing him on an awfully high pedalstal if you think Strachan will drop Hesselink or Miller to make way for him.

I rate him better than Zuwawski who I think is a very average player but don't forget Derek Riordan is also there and he's a proven SPL goalscorer. Let's also not forget Craig Beattie who will be in the reckoning if he can get his injury problems behind him.

I've said it all along that I've been impressed by what I've seen of Stokes but he has played less than 20 senior games. It's too soon to judge him. He hasn't hit a slump in form yet and when he does it'll be a test for him to see how he reacts to it.

I'd personally prefer him to go to a club where he will be able to continue to play week in week out. That's what he needs for his career now and that's the only way he will keep progressing at the rate he is. I wouldn't say no to him at Celtic, I just think it's better for him if he goes elsewhere.
    thank you, reiterated what i said a few posts up.

i think tony should stay at falkirk for the season, saying wenger will learn more from one or two games is rubbish. whats the rush? we should be thinking of the players development which, at 18, is better served playing regularly for a very good footballing side where he can learn what the rigours of a season are like. little things like getting sent off are good for his overall development(as well as endearing him to arsenal fans!).

i think he's only played one game(where he was very good) against either celtic or rangers so some more experience visiting their big stadia and atmospheres will stand him in good stead come next season and those matches would be better gauges than the carling cup.

john hughes(falkirk manager) and liam brady are good friends so i'd say thats the primary communication link concerning stokes. i'm sure hughes will be imploring brady to convince wenger to let stokes stay where he is alongside two ex-arsenal irish lads. and not to take the chance of playing in a cup final(more great experience) and winning a medal away from stokes, especially when he was instrumental in them getting there.

i wouldnt be entirely against him going on loan to watford or such but he's pretty settled now at falkirk and is guaranteed his place in a much better footballing team than watford which is getting him into the groove for some va va voom next season at the arse.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Roy Keane says he has never enquired about Stokes. Journalism must be easy when can invent stories like that...
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kingdom hoop View Post
    i think he's only played one game(where he was very good) against either celtic or rangers
    Played once against Rangers and twice against Celtic. Excellent in both games against Celtic.

Quote Originally Posted by pete
    Roy Keane says he has never enquired about Stokes. Journalism must be easy when can invent stories like that...
    He was at the Falkrik vs Hearts match and everyone presumed he was watching Stokes.

Page 21 of 114 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast