Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 14 of 114 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Thread: Anthony Stokes (F free agent b.1988)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Stokes is in the "B" squad for the game against Scotland next Tuesday. Head along to Dalymount Park and check him out in the flesh.
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Yes, but he'll still be up against Scottish defenders

What's been so OTT about the Stokes comments above anyway? Is it exciting that a teenage Irish striker with a bit of a reputation has taken well to senior football? Yes. Is it conclusive proof of anything? No.

Stokes & Billy Clarke are among the most exciting things happening right now in the Irish context and as I'm an Irish fan I'm pleased. It's not as if there's much else to cheer about.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Stokes & Billy Clarke are among the most exciting things happening right now in the Irish context and as I'm an Irish fan I'm pleased. It's not as if there's much else to cheer about.
    I agree completely with you. We've got Kevin Doyle, Shane Long and now these other lads showing class too. It's nice to have something to be positive about.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peadar View Post
    I agree completely with you. We've got Kevin Doyle, Shane Long and now these other lads showing class too. It's nice to have something to be positive about.
    is Long injured or something? If not then its an absolute disgrace that a striker who has as many first team premiership appearances as him should be left out of even the B team
    I

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Interesting though that Wegner may not rate him that highly.

Still, always good to see an Irish player play so well and score goals!

As an FYI, Robbie Keane got some great praise from Bobby McMahon (best pundit in football) last night on Fox Soccer Channel.
    There is no such thing as a miracle cure, a free lunch or a humble opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Stokes has just scored against Celtic in the CIS Cup

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by co. down green View Post
    Stokes has just scored against Celtic in the CIS Cup
    Missed a penalty in the shoot-out but Falkirk win 5-4 on penalties
    Last edited by Superhoops; 07/11/2006 at 9:26 PM.
    Honest! I am not a secret Tim nor a closet Sham - I really am a Seagull.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    It is worth remembering when comparing Stokes hat tricks to Larssons that Stokes plays for Falkirk not Celtic, Falkirk were in the Scottish division one last season (I believe?). Equally when some people say he is only scoring against lower end Scotish Premier teams you need to remember that he is playing for one too, so his scoring oppertunites will be less than if he was playing for a top side. Eitherway it's difficult to see how he could be doing any better unless you expect 5 goals a game. I think Stan should have stuck him in the A team against San Marino, I think he could bag a goal or two against them, he doesn't seem to have much trouble finding the back of the net at the moment, you never know he might get another hattrick!! We could do with getting adecent score (as long as we don't let 5 in at the back )

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Stokes looked the business last night. He movement was very good. Infact he could probably teach Robbie Keane a thing or two about finishing. He looked shaken after he missed the penalty. Maybe he was slightly cocky taking it in the way he did. I think someone on this forum mentioned he might be arrogant, but it's not a bad thing in front of goal. It would be interesting to see a front line of him and Dixon in action.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    i have been a lifelong celtic suporter but i have to admit to having mixed feelings last night watching the three young irish lads playing for Falkirk - they all look like excellent prospects
    I have a head only Snow White would love

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Thought Stokes looks the real deal. Surprised to hear Staunton say “he was going backwards at Arsenal”. What the f*** does he know. The lad is 18. What really surprised me was the performances of two other young Irish lads. Patrick Clegg and O’Donnell. Both look very accomplished and could easily, on last nights evidence, play with a more distinguished club than Falkirk.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Falkirk really put it up to Celtic last night and it was great to see ex-Arsenal, Irish lads Cregg and O'Donnell doing well. Think Barrett is injured? They both took their penalties very well. O'Donnell was unlucky to find himself offside, when he reacted quickest to a rebound off the post, from a Stokes belter.

Stokes might be disappointed about missing his penalty but it was his goal that got them that far and his fellow striker, Gow, missed a host of chances along with his penalty.

I think it's his willingness to have a shot which impresses most.

Falkirk paly Hearts on Monday night so I can't see Stokes featuring in the B International the next night.

Here's what Gordon Strachan had to say about Anthony.

Celtic boss Strachan has taken time to praise the youngster and believes Stokes' attitude has been fantastic.
    "He's been doing fantastically well," said Strachan.
    "It has been a great move for him, coming up here from Arsenal.
    "It shows if you are prepared as a kid to get out, get about and not sit on your backside, people will notice you and you can launch a career.
    "That's what he's done, taken the chance to get up here from Arsenal and say 'yes, I'll take the opportunity to get up there and play first-team football'.
    "It's been great for him, absolutely fantastic, and it's been even better for Falkirk, that's for sure."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Paddy View Post
    That's 10 goals in 5 games now for Stokes. Who was the last Irishman to achieve that? (If ever).
    How's Terry Dixon getting on at Spurs? Haven't seen him in ages
    He's actually out with a very serious injury at the moment....not much of a laughing matter to be honest...
    Last edited by Dr. Ogba; 08/11/2006 at 8:35 AM.
    "Well I think they'll be a little disappointed with that" - Matt Holland on TV3 after 5-2 drubbing by Cyprus

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ogba View Post
    He's actually out with a very serious injury at the moment....not much of a laughing matter to be honest...
    Did he fall off the chair laughing when Spurs beat Chelsea last weekend .
    MOT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peadar View Post
    I think it's his willingness to have a shot which impresses most.
    Same here. He had 3 or 4 shots on goal. 1 went in, 1 hit the post, 1 was a header just wide after beating Balde. Kenny Miller went his first 7 games at Celtic without scoring but people were saying he hasn't had many clear cut chances. That's true. Stokes will always have a couple of excellent chances a game and it's hardly because Falkirk are creating more chances than Celtic. It's all down to the player imo.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

stokes

being an exiled hearts fan i watch as much of the spl as i can on setanta and i have to say that stokes does have a touch of class about him no matter if he is "only playing for falkirk in crap league" (not my words). he has falkirk playing a good passing ,quick breaking, attacking style and they are getting great results. now that he has not only scored but played really well against the "mighty celtic" those critics should now be eating their words. a great young irish prospect playing exciting football and scoring for fun should be encouraged as much as possible. unfortunately i cant make it up to the B game on tuesday as im in galway working but i will be looking forward to watching how he gets on against hearts on monday . the game is on setanta and i expect hearts to really struggle (although i of course want them to win) and will let my head rule my heart for once and will be having a wee bet on him to score just for an interest. good luck to him and it would be great if he stays in the spl until the end of the season

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
    Thought Stokes looks the real deal. Surprised to hear Staunton say “he was going backwards at Arsenal”. What the f*** does he know. The lad is 18. What really surprised me was the performances of two other young Irish lads. Patrick Clegg and O’Donnell. Both look very accomplished and could easily, on last nights evidence, play with a more distinguished club than Falkirk.
    Good news about the others. Celtic were rumoured to be keeping an eye on Cregg a while back.

Are they still U21 eligible? Maybe candidates for next year's B games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Stokes looks an excellent prospect, he has given me something to be excited about for the future of the Irish team. He has real class about him, and some excellent technique. More importantly than that he was not fased one bit by the mighty celts, wasnt afraid to have a go, and did remarkably well for playing as a lone frontman...

I think he should play against san marino, B team my arsee..Staunton is always harping on about the future and bringing in youngsters..Howcome Alan O'Brien was ready!! Tabb was ready, or even dixon, who is only 16 and not getting a sniff of the first team squad.

He should get rid of Clint for good(who is a disgrace) and bring in Stokes..That cregg looks a decent playr also!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Falkirk have started talks with Arsenal in a bid to extend Anthony Stokes' loan until the end of the season.
    Bairns boss John Hughes has confirmed the club have been in touch with Arsenal and hopes the Premiership club will agree to Stokes staying at Falkirk Stadium.
    "We're in discussions with Arsenal as we speak as we want to get this sorted out before the weekend," Hughes told the Daily Record.
    "The vultures are starting to circle around Anthony and that's only to be expected because of the way the lad has been playing.
    "But he is happy at Falkirk and we are happy to have him. Hopefully in the next couple of days we'll have an agreement with Arsenal for him to stay with us until the end of the season.
    "If they say no because they want him back in London then that's where he will go.
    "But if they are happy to let him go out on loan until the end of the season we would prefer for him to stay with us."
    Taken from Sky Sports online.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    A mate tells me Roddy Forsyth said on RTE last night that Celtic & Falkirk were both set to bid for him outright. Anyone else hear this?

Page 14 of 114 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast