Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brian Kerr

thecorner

Brian Kerr

reading today he reckons no league of ireland player is good enough for thge irish squad only glenn crowe
    he would have considered the player if he was fit but being out of season he wouldnt have made it either

wander if he will consider l.o.i players when the premiership is out of season

p.s. he also said that he will not be visiting l.o.i. grounds

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Re: Brian Kerr

Originally posted by thecorner
    reading today he reckons no league of ireland player is good enough for thge irish squad only glenn crowe
    he would have considered the player if he was fit but being out of season he wouldnt have made it either
    Hard to disagree with that.

p.s. he also said that he will not be visiting l.o.i. grounds
    I'd be surprised if he said that.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I would agree with him no el player is 'yet' good enough, but there are some players who are playing for Ireland and they are not good enough.
    It's only just begun...............
    If the last 21 years were class, here's looking forward to the next 21 years. It is our time

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    "I believe in this and its been tested by research
    He who ****s nuns will later join the church"
    No Elvis, Beatles or the Rolling Stones
    In 1977

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    he was on tv on rte1 he said "there arent many who are international class". Of my reading of it that means there are some but only a small amount.
    i personally believe for instance that Connolly wouldnt get into Bohs or citys first team.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts

Re: Re: Brian Kerr

Originally posted by pete
    I'd be surprised if he said that.
    Thought he said last night on TV3 that he would be watching games, but just because he's from an eL background we shouldn't necessarily expect players to be picked as he was of the opinion that the top two divisions cross channel were of a higher standard.....

In fairness the main problem with Muppet Mick and Charlton was that they didn't watch any eL games, so how could they make a judgement....

PS Shouldn't this be in the eL general forum?
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Re: Re: Brian Kerr

Originally posted by Macy

PS Shouldn't this be in the eL general forum?
    No, as all the international class players play for city!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I heard that on the RTE news aswell last night. The way it sounded to me was that the new summer season, and a better quality of play will lead to a higher standard of players. This will make it more likely in the future that LOI players might make the grade. But he meant in the future.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    He'll definitely watch games, he watched about 20 pats games last seson, so why would he stop now. He's not going to pick players for the sake of it but he'll be aware of any good enough...

Seems to be the perfect attitude to me
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Originally posted by eoinh
    he was on tv on rte1 he said "there arent many who are international class". Of my reading of it that means there are some but only a small amount.
    i personally believe for instance that Connolly wouldnt get into Bohs or citys first team.
    Nonsence.
    Connolly would walk onto any eL team. If he coulden't then he sure as hell would not be scoring as many goals as he has been for the Don's in the full time professional english first division. I've said it before if Glen Crowe was good enough to play for a english 1st division team(and he is a fine striker) he would already be playing there. the same goes for EVERY player in the eircom league inc. J O'F.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Oh yeah he'd play in England for less money!
    I'd doubt with the financial situation in England that he'd get a better deal!
    [/B][I]P.Esc.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by Real ale Madrid
    Nonsence.
    Connolly would walk onto any eL team. If he coulden't then he sure as hell would not be scoring as many goals as he has been for the Don's in the full time professional english first division. I've said it before if Glen Crowe was good enough to play for a english 1st division team(and he is a fine striker) he would already be playing there. the same goes for EVERY player in the eircom league inc. J O'F.
    Bull.

This idea that every player always plays in a league that suits their talents and abilities is patentlly untrue.

i would go as far to say that the english game is appalingly bad at spotting young talent.

Connolly failed with Feyenoord, except for the top few teams (say the first six) Dutch league football is crap. How can he then succeed playing against better teams?
    In general Belgian football is better than irish football but that doesnt mean there arent individual players who wouldnt make over there.
    In your own case you dont work for Pfizers, yet i bet you are a better worker than some of the people there. MOst people would like a job with pfizers because of the pay. Doesnt mean their inferior though. they just dont have a need for your services.

If keane had been good enough for the italian league he would still be there according to you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    I see what you are saying eoinh.

But the fact remains that if Rotherham offered any player in the eircom league a guarantee of first team football and £1000 a week which is the average wage for a club like that, i think, then then you would not see thier heels for dust imo.

also it is difficult to compare foreign leagues to each other. So that argument you make, while well made, is a bit flawed.

And what you said about Pfizers was a disgrace, they said they would get back to me.

thecorner
    Originally posted by Real ale Madrid
    Nonsence.
    . I've said it before if Glen Crowe was good enough to play for a english 1st division team(and he is a fine striker) he would already be playing there. the same goes for EVERY player in the eircom league inc. J O'F.
    posh boss wanted take JOF back on loan at the end of season but only realised it would be still clashing with the start of our season

must mean that flynny is still good enough

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    as far as im concerned any top loi defender would be better than breen . hes not even getting play with west ham

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by eoinh
    Bull.

This idea that every player always plays in a league that suits their talents and abilities is patentlly untrue.

i would go as far to say that the english game is appalingly bad at spotting young talent.

Connolly failed with Feyenoord, except for the top few teams (say the first six) Dutch league football is crap. How can he then succeed playing against better teams?
    In general Belgian football is better than irish football but that doesnt mean there arent individual players who wouldnt make over there.
    In your own case you dont work for Pfizers, yet i bet you are a better worker than some of the people there. MOst people would like a job with pfizers because of the pay. Doesnt mean their inferior though. they just dont have a need for your services.

If keane had been good enough for the italian league he would still be there according to you.
    Connolly and Keane were both very young at the time for a start.

Also it's notoriously hard for any British players to settle properly in a foreign country and play as well as they would at home. You can probably count those who have succeeded on your hands.

Not that I don't agree with your overall point though. Crowe is definitely good enough to do well elsewhere as are a lot of other players in the eL. Far too many people have an inferiority complex towards the English leagues. Even to the 3rd Division.

You could put any of the top 8 last season into the 2nd Division and they would all do well/hold their own. U.C.D., Pat's, Longford and Derry could all at least survive and Rovers, Cork, Shels and Bohs could all challenge for promotion.

I could see at least Bohs and Shels doing alright in the First Division, too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    I don't have an inferiority complex regarding the english leagues.

It is impossible to say that such a team would hold thier own in the 2nd division etc. etc.

I'm talking from a players viewpoint that if they were good enough to be playing in the english league and earning good money they would and should be there. Now it is true that some find it hard to adjust, settle etc but by and large it is because they are not good enough. However the standard is improving and the key to riasing standards is to have as many as possibile young players playing in the league and sucess in europe.

It's an old argument i know.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by UCD_4_Life
    Connolly and Keane were both very young at the time for a start.

Also it's notoriously hard for any British players to settle properly in a foreign country and play as well as they would at home. You can probably count those who have succeeded on your hands.

i know you agreed with me but keane will never go back to Italy because he failed to do it the first time. Yet he isnt classed as a failure! Totenham Hotspur in the scheme of things arent a great or big club. Substitute irish in your sentence (and keane is irsih not british) and also substitute the word o'flynn for Keane and you have repeated my argument.

Generally i would urge people to turn off or even turn the sound down on BskyB as its just a great big propaganda machine. its esay to get carried away with it.

Its probably just as hard for any youngster from any country to settle down in another country wether they be Danes, Norwegians, Croats. The list is endless. You dont hear there side of the story because our tv isnt interested in them.

Last night we say what REAL football is all about.
    Watch BskyB or irish tv and you miss that constantly. we get to see stora bydasfstnh hghggl of Armenia against Liverpool or something.

Rant over.

Badweather Fan

Re: Brian Kerr

Keane didn't fail in Italy.
    He did well for the manager who bought him but wasn't in the new managers plans.
    Spot on Kerr.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Re: Brian Kerr

Originally posted by Badweather Fan
    Keane didn't fail in Italy.
    yes, he did. Every player who fails gives reasons. He wasnt good enough and now plays for an average team in Europes third best league.

Funny how players who go to england from italy dont fail and yet irish players who go from Peterbirough to City do fail. Thats a step up imo.
    You cant have it both ways.

Even Steve McMenamen knows it better to be a sub for the best rather than going home and playing, Bolton, Wba and the Tothenhams of this world.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast