Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Ben Folds, he has better songs and Weller's a worthless hack

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    What a load of balls. Its the standard NME/Indie kid attitude to weller. Do you have any opinions you form yourself??
    Hes 50 and hes been making records since he was 17. Hes had some class ones and hes had some rubbish ones. Hes also brilliant live. Just cause his musical reference points extend beyond radiohead or joy division he isnt popular with the likes of jebus and his ilk. Hes wrote so many classic songs its unreal. Give me "long Hot Summer" of everything Radiohead ever did any day of the week.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Paul Weller, obviously.
    "I'm just a chilled out entertainer"

Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Billsthoughts View Post
    What a load of balls. Its the standard NME/Indie kid attitude to weller. Do you have any opinions you form yourself??
    I do, but do I need to share them with someone who obviously knows as much about me as you seem to? I believe you'll find the NME/Typical Indie Kid wanks over the Jam on a weekly basis by the way, wait were you saying you're the typical NME kid? I'm confused

Hes 50 and hes been making records since he was 17.
    So has Gary Glitter, what's your point?

Hes had some class ones and hes had some rubbish ones. Hes also brilliant live.
    Debatable, but judging by your outburst you probably don't like debating anyway

Just cause his musical reference points extend beyond radiohead or joy division he isnt popular with the likes of jebus and his ilk. Hes wrote so many classic songs its unreal. Give me "long Hot Summer" of everything Radiohead ever did any day of the week.
    Oddly enough (for your worldview) I'm not a huge fan of either Radiohead or Joy Division, but sure don't let that stop you from embarrassing yourself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Is that what the NME is teaching you is a good comeback? Nice to see you accept your points got shot down in flames though, bravo on being the bigger man Bill

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jebus View Post
    Is that what the NME is teaching you is a good comeback? Nice to see you accept your points got shot down in flames though, bravo on being the bigger man Bill
    My points got shot down in flames?????
    You just went on a rant. At no stage have you said anything to back up your assertion that Weller is a "tired hack"
    You blathered on in a self congratulatory manner as if you had just delivered the killer riposte in some great debate.
    And in your head....you probably did....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    My points got shot down in flames?????
    You just went on a rant. At no stage have you said anything to back up your assertion that Weller is a "tired hack"
    You blathered on in a self congratulatory manner as if you had just delivered the killer riposte in some great debate.
    And in your head....you probably did....
    Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realise your own brand of self-congratulatory rant actually included valid points against my opinion? I didn't realise accusing me of being a Radiohead loving NME reader was actually your idea of a well thought out argument, and warranted anything other than showing how ridiculous your stance was. Silly me.

Anyway here's why I think Weller is a hack. He hasn't produced any truly great music since his over-rated days in the Jam. The Style Council were laughably bad, his solo work was only appreciated by magazines like the NME (), and as for his live work, well I've only seen him once and wasn't too impressed, but that's all down to personal opinion ain't it Billy?

Furthermore Weller's Red Wedge days were probably the most painfully humiliating experience of the Thatcher years for all concerned, if anything Weller seems to have inspired Bono in believing that people actually give a toss about his opinions on how the world should be run just because they've bought a few of his records, and he also seems to think that declining a CBE shows how working class he still is (outside the sprawling mansion of course). What else, oh yeah, by all accounts he's a sarky *****, but again that's probably down to personal opinion isn't it Bill?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realise your own brand of self-congratulatory rant actually included valid points against my opinion? I didn't realise accusing me of being a Radiohead loving NME reader was actually your idea of a well thought out argument, and warranted anything other than showing how ridiculous your stance was. Silly me.
    Oh get over it you big woman. I apologise if I called you an “NME reader” or worse… a “radiohead fan”.

Anyway here's why I think Weller is a hack. He hasn't produced any truly great music since his over-rated days in the Jam. The Style Council were laughably bad, his solo work was only appreciated by magazines like the NME (), and as for his live work, well I've only seen him once and wasn't too impressed, but that's all down to personal opinion ain't it Billy?
    His style council work is some of his best stuff. Way ahead of his time and deffo some great pop singles. (Long Hot Summer, Speak like a Child, You’re the Best Thing to name a few) Jam over rated by who? Great singles band (Town Called Malice one of the best number ones ever) and great live band. Wild wood is a great album. Stanley Road is a good one. His latest is supposedly good but I havent heard it myself. At least 3 of his solo albums are beyond atrocious but I think he admits that himself. Artists who have long careers generally have poor albums. Its no reason to dismiss whole bodys of work.

Furthermore Weller's Red Wedge days were probably the most painfully humiliating experience of the Thatcher years for all concerned, if anything Weller seems to have inspired Bono in believing that people actually give a toss about his opinions on how the world should be run just because they've bought a few of his records, ?
    This is one of the funniest things I have ever read. Pure retrospective history. How old were you when Red wedge happened? 6? All art by its very nature is expressing some opinion.

and he also seems to think that declining a CBE shows how working class he still is (outside the sprawling mansion of course). What else, oh yeah, by all accounts he's a sarky *****, but again that's probably down to personal opinion isn't it Bill?
    . [/QUOTE]
    Again this is pure stupidity. Weller has a “sprawling mansion” ? Do you have any proof of this? He didn’t accept a CBE. Probably anti monarchy. So what?
    I assume the fact that he comes from a working class family makes him working class. But again so what? Do you expect him to live in a council estate to prove his credentials? In fact to the best of my knowledge he was pretty penniless after the style council were dropped by polydor.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Oh get over it you big woman. I apologise if I called you an “NME reader” or worse… a “radiohead fan”.
    Apology accepted, next time think out your points a bit more eh?

His style council work is some of his best stuff. Way ahead of his time and deffo some great pop singles. (Long Hot Summer, Speak like a Child, You’re the Best Thing to name a few) Jam over rated by who? Great singles band (Town Called Malice one of the best number ones ever) and great live band. Wild wood is a great album. Stanley Road is a good one. His latest is supposedly good but I havent heard it myself. At least 3 of his solo albums are beyond atrocious but I think he admits that himself. Artists who have long careers generally have poor albums. Its no reason to dismiss whole bodys of work.
    That's all personal opinion though, you think it's good, I think it's rubbish, whats the problem?

This is one of the funniest things I have ever read. Pure retrospective history. How old were you when Red wedge happened? 6? All art by its very nature is expressing some opinion.
    How old was I? 7 actually, but whats your point? Do I need to have been 18 during World War 2 to know that Hitler was a bit of a *******? Are we not allowed comment on things in the past unless you were at the voting age at the time? Red Wedge was, and is, a stain on British politics, but it's also a reminder of what drivel unchecked egos can produce

Again this is pure stupidity. Weller has a “sprawling mansion” ? Do you have any proof of this? He didn’t accept a CBE. Probably anti monarchy. So what?
    I assume the fact that he comes from a working class family makes him working class. But again so what? Do you expect him to live in a council estate to prove his credentials? In fact to the best of my knowledge he was pretty penniless after the style council were dropped by polydor.
    I don't expect him to stay in a council estate, but I'd like him to stop pretending he has any idea what it's like to be working class British in the 21st century. I'm no expert either, but then again I don't tout myself as a champion of the underclass do I?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Again if you have examples of where he has touted himself as a champion of the underclass then please provide them? If not put up or shut up.
    So every song Weller has released in his 30 odd year career is "rubbish"?
    Judging by his record sales and the amount of critical appreciation accorded to him by his peers(as diverse as Shane Magowan,Robert Wyatt, Noel Gallagher, Damon Albarn, Portishead, Eric Clapton and Pete Townsend to name but a few) there are plenty who disagree. Id take their opinion over some worthless foot.ie hack anyday. (Sorry couldn’t resist)
    As regards the Red Wedge thing. Your just making sweeping statements without backing them up or even expanding on why you actually hold such trenchant views on the subject. Like I said show me any music that doesn’t express an opinion? I don’t even think Weller himself looks back on it as a great idea but he wasn’t the driving force behind it more the marquee name. In the context of the times it wasn’t so unusal. Miners strikes, mass unemployment ,Norman Tebbits “get on your bike and get a job” speech. He put his money where his mouth was and backed an attempt to mobilise disilluisioned youth to vote labour and instigate change. At the time I think he was 24 or 25. I think it showed a bit of guts on wellers part as did breaking up the Jam at their height and not pandering to his old audience when he recommenced his solo career by playing all the “hits”.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    And all of that changes my opinion that Weller is a hack how? You don't get this personal opinion thing at all do you?

As for the underclass thing, I'm not going to wander around the internet looking for references in articles for a supposed Paul Weller fan. If you've read interviews with the man you'll know how much he has played on his working class upbringing

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by artane-shels View Post
    Which do i go to?
    ...I was concerned you'd the pair of them strapped to chairs and fully kitted out in those scream gag devices with the leather straps and ballcocks.

Weller.

" I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    No Contest
    A Town Called Malice - In the Top 10 songs ever written & my wedding song, "Stop dreaming of the quiet life 'cause it's the one you'll never know" written by a proper songwriter.
    No offence to BF(F) who is/are (are they still Ben Folds Five or is it Ben Folds on his own?) moderately entertaining but not in the same league

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    And all of that changes my opinion that Weller is a hack how? You don't get this personal opinion thing at all do you?

As for the underclass thing, I'm not going to wander around the internet looking for references in articles for a supposed Paul Weller fan. If you've read interviews with the man you'll know how much he has played on his working class upbringing
    so you cant then.
    grand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    so you cant then.
    grand.
    Great logic Bill. Kudos on being able to skirt around the more ridiculous aspects of your entire 'debate' here by the way

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    /*sound of Jebus taking ball and going home.....from work

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    /*sound of Jebus taking ball and going home.
    Yep I went home from work

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast