Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommended Films

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Films i liked
    A Simple Plan : what happens when a group of people find a load of money in the woods , great performance from Billy Bob Thornton
    Sling Blade , another great Billy Bob one , he plays a simple man who is released from an institution after murdering his mother as a child.
    Barton Fink : another Cohen Bros one featuring a nice turn by John Goodman.
    Dumb and Dumber : just love this , cant have all highbrow stuff

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Of the ones mentioned above:

City of God.
    Internal Affairs.

In recent years best movie i've seen was Downfall

Of current releases i've seen Zodiac which is fairly good if not great.

I think as a set the Coen Brother movies are hard to beat.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    I Went Down - Overlooked Irish comedy. Brendan Gleeson is excellent.

The Sure Thing - A young John Cusack stars in this "Road Movie" / comedy. A funny Tim Robbins cameo role in there too.

The Grifter - Another early John Cusack role.

Rounders - Not sure if this is too "Mainstream" - but a good film about Poker players.
    Quoting years at random since 1975

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jebus View Post
    Requiem for a Dream - Hopefully everyone has watched this by now
    [Casablanca - It's actually ridiculous the amount of people I know who haven't watched this classicJoin the club! Absolutely cracking movie though, hopefully they don't decide to remake it into a live action movie until I've shuffled off this mortal coil
    yeah i also havent seen casablanca
    talking about Humpry Bogary, def recommend the Treasure of Sierra Madre, great movie , a Hueston special

also...... Requiem for a Dream is brilliant, but very hard to watch, the scene in the end where the one (Connolly) is doing her stuff infront of all the guys is quite disturbing, a better movie about drugs and its effects than trainspotting (which isnt bad either) me thinks

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebeard View Post
    And for those who liked Powaqqatsi (kudos to Neish!), try the first one of the series Kooyaanisqqatsi - best of the three in my opinion.
    Have the box set with Powaqqatsi and Kooyaanisqqatsi prefered Powaqqatsi myself. Have you seen Naqoyqatsi? I guy I know saw it whislst he worked in the U.S. he reckons it the best of the lot.

Have you seen Baraka? If you like Powaqqatsi and Kooyaanisqqatsi it will be right up your alley.
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Neish View Post
    Have the box set with Powaqqatsi and Kooyaanisqqatsi prefered Powaqqatsi myself. Have you seen Naqoyqatsi? I guy I know saw it whislst he worked in the U.S. he reckons it the best of the lot.

Have you seen Baraka? If you like Powaqqatsi and Kooyaanisqqatsi it will be right up your alley.
    Powaqqatsi is th biz alright, I am just possibly more of a pessimist than you are

I got hold of Naqoyqatsi too. I didn't enjoy it as much as the other two - it was kind of like Tubular Bells III: This Time It's Ibiza if you catch my drift. I do think it has great merit, I just reckon I'd need to see it on the big screen or be stoned to get the most out of it.

Mad keen to see Baraka - heard great things about that!
    That question was less stupid, though you asked it in a profoundly stupid way.

Help me, Arthur Murphy, you're my only hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    I bow to no one. bar Bluebeard and Mr A

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    Some great selections on here alright.
    If you've never seen Donnie Darko (I was one of the few who saw the original release in the IFI) its brilliant.
    Also highly recommend V for Vendetta, Little Miss Sunshine, Hard Candy
    La Haine and Doctor Stragelove are true greats.
    I'm struggling to come up with something original here.
    If your into early horror/slasher/rape revenge films (more from a studying than entertainment perspective) see I Spit on Your Grave or The Last House on the Left (early Wes Craven). For a more entertaining Wes Craven see The People Under the Stairs (a personal favourite).
    If you haven't seen Hellraiser you should (Clive Barker is a genius, read some of his stuff).

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Join the club! Absolutely cracking movie though, hopefully they don't decide to remake it into a live action movie until I've shuffled off this mortal coil
    You and me both, check out the 25th anniversary DVD, a bit odd to watch it without "Leonardo" doing Kaneda's voice.

Hard Candy's been mentioned a few times, check out The Woodsman if you can, possibly the hardest film to watch I've ever sat through. The woman sitting next to me was visibly upset at the end of it.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Very good choice 79!
    Sympathy for the Woodsman?
    City definetly have the best bands playing at half-time.

O'Bama - "Eerah yeah, I'd say we can alright!"

G.O'Mahoney Trapattoni'll sort ém out!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    If you've never seen Donnie Darko (I was one of the few who saw the original release in the IFI) its brilliant.
    I saw it in the Kino in Cork when it was given it's limited cinema release, and I have to say I enjoyed it at first, but then I got to thinking.....if the rabbit (can't remember his name) pulled Donnie out of the house, so that he could see life and how the rabbit and his girlfriend die, so that he would realise that he needs to make the sacrifice of finding the worm hole so that he can go back and put himself back in his house on the night the rabbit pulled him out of it to save his life, well.....what's the bloody point? it just doesn't make sense at the end of the day, so I've been turned off the movie since

Oh and I agree 110% with People Under The Stairs, been a favourite of mine for many a year now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Risteard View Post
    Very good choice 79!
    Sympathy for the Woodsman?
    Not defending it, just saying it's an excellent film, but be warned, it is extremely difficult to watch.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Not defending it, just saying it's an excellent film, but be warned, it is extremely difficult to watch.
    Speaking of extremely difficult to watch has anyone ever seen Irreversible? The French movie starring Monica Belucci? It has a 8 minute rape scene, and another particularly disturbing incident (I won't say cause it might ruin a bit of the film for you). That and the Warzone have to be the most disturbing movies I've ever witnessed (although the surgery scene in Harc Candy would rank up there as well)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    I saw it in the Kino in Cork when it was given it's limited cinema release, and I have to say I enjoyed it at first, but then I got to thinking.....if the rabbit (can't remember his name) pulled Donnie out of the house, so that he could see life and how the rabbit and his girlfriend die, so that he would realise that he needs to make the sacrifice of finding the worm hole so that he can go back and put himself back in his house on the night the rabbit pulled him out of it to save his life, well.....what's the bloody point? it just doesn't make sense at the end of the day, so I've been turned off the movie since

Oh and I agree 110% with People Under The Stairs, been a favourite of mine for many a year now
    It probably raises as many questions as it does answers. Is the sacrifice worth it all? In all likelihood the outcome of his actions is that a paedophile will now be undetected and his family will be devastated. Is the great romantic gesture just a farce, the easy way out? Still a completely great film as far as I'm concerned. I've always avoided watching the directors cut due to a few reports that it alters the film too much and a lot of the magic is lost.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Boondock Saints

Been a while since I saw this, but thought it was pretty good.
    Did you ever notice that in every painting of Adam & Eve, they have belly buttons. Think about that...take as long as you want.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    Anyone seen Old Boy?
    I saw Old Boy - brilliant flick. Great revelation at the end.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    ...Im similarly avoiding 28 Weeks Later.
    I've heard nothing but praise for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    PS agree City of God is the best film of the last decade
    Quote Originally Posted by BohsPartisan View Post
    Its a good film alright but thats a massive exageration.
    Agreed with BP. It's gotten a lot of praise. It's a good film, but it's widely overrated now.

...I got to thinking.....if the rabbit (can't remember his name) pulled Donnie out of the house, so that he could see life and how the rabbit and his girlfriend die, so that he would realise that he needs to make the sacrifice of finding the worm hole so that he can go back and put himself back in his house on the night the rabbit pulled him out of it to save his life, well.....what's the bloody point? it just doesn't make sense at the end of the day, so I've been turned off the movie since
    It made his death mean something. He chose to die so that several others, including people he loved, wouldn't have to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    Has anyone mentioned Battle Royal? Cracking film. Make sure it's the first one though. Reports on the sequel are not good.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    It made his death mean something. He chose to die so that several others, including people he loved, wouldn't have to.
    But why bring him out of the house in the first place, to show him he has to die? That's a real lazy excuse to be honest, I mean that infers a conscious afterlife where Donnie would be walking around, ****ed off that he died in such a ridiculous manner. Plus all movies with time travel fall into the trap of history repeating itself. I mean since Donnie died in his house that night, that means he doesn't shoot the rabbit, so the rabbit isn't dead and can't come back to him to pull him out of the house in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    Has anyone mentioned Battle Royal? Cracking film. Make sure it's the first one though. Reports on the sequel are not good.
    Don't watch the sequel is all I can say. Also I'm gonna steer clear of the American rip off version, The Condemned, starring none other than Stone Cold Steve Austin of WWF fame!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Donnie Darko: My theory is that he never leaves the house and the whole film is a hallucination in the moments before his death to allow him to come to terms with his end.
    TO TELL THE TRUTH IS REVOLUTIONARY

The ONLY foot.ie user with a type of logic named after them!

All of this has happened before. All of it will happen again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    But why bring him out of the house in the first place, to show him he has to die? That's a real lazy excuse to be honest, I mean that infers a conscious afterlife where Donnie would be walking around, ****ed off that he died in such a ridiculous manner. Plus all movies with time travel fall into the trap of history repeating itself. I mean since Donnie died in his house that night, that means he doesn't shoot the rabbit, so the rabbit isn't dead and can't come back to him to pull him out of the house in the first place
    You can say the same thing about the jet engine - without which, he'll live to meet Gretchen, Frank, et al, and his mother and sister will be on that plane when the storm hits. Or will they? How much did Frank change things by speaking with Donnie?

Chicken and egg plot problems are almost impossible to avoid if you're going to make a complex time travel story. The story isn't clear. That's half the fun.

Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast