Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Celtic Discussion

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Celtic

Thanks guys for that - Feedback is always appreciated.

I knew that the Strathclyde Britons were from the same Celtic clan as the Welsh - Most people still think of it as being English though, even in Scotland.

If you had to ask most people in Scotland they would not call themselves British but Scottish.

Yep can relate to what you are saying about the hardmen spouting the rebels - I do know a few people like that.

I can see why it annoys you all now - It's a shame that things were not less complicated - What gets me is people who are Scottish and support the Republic over Scotland - This is obviously because of Religion and they're association with Celtic.

I'm Scottish born and bred with a Scottish name - Maybe that make s a difference to my views - Don't know. I support Scotland first, Republic and any other Irish team and then Wales.

I'll never support England in anything that they do.

Going to perkhead to me is still very special - To be with so many people who love the same thing, share the same values is amazing - Just like going to an international game.

I would say the closest game to atmosphere like an Old Firm is Scotland V England - It's just oure hatred - Magic though!!

Lets us know the best atmosphere you've experienced - I heard the Gaelic sport is good for that.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    youre mentioning of Gaelic Games after stirring up Celtic leads me to believe youre taking the **** and are from Ireland.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry

I'm not taking the P at all mate.

I merely asked if the Gaelic gmes had a great atmosphere as a Scottish reporter went to a Gealic game in Ireland and he reported that it was amazing.

I am far away I live just outside of Glasgow in Scotland.

Why did you take offence to that??

Was it maybe my wording??

If it was then accept my apologies - The last thing I want to do is offend anyone.

I don't know that much about Gaelic games - I know that they play Shinty and some others in the Highlands and some Lowlands as well of Scotland.

It's pretty big in Ireland is it not??

Thanks again - Robert

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    GAA is obviously huge over here being our national sport.It is the only amatuer game in the world that can take in over 80,000 people to a game.I was at the all-ireland semi-final last year and the atmosphere was amazing.Unfortunately most people who are big into Gaa wouldn't be interested in an el game and most people on this sight wouldn't be interested in gaa.
    If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Right I See

Cool I want mention the GAA on this Forum again then.

What about the football games in Ireland - What's the average attendances?? - Probarly more than most teams outside the Old Firm get I would imagine.

Is the league only for the Republic or does it include Northern teams as well??

I don't that much about it - I'm sure I saw on Sky Sports a programme about Irish soccer - Or did I imagine that??

I know what is cool though - When the Republic play it's looks like the Celtic support.

Thanks

Robert

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Celtic

Originally posted by Scotsman
    Lets us know the best atmosphere you've experienced - I heard the Gaelic sport is good for that.
    IMO, the Munster Hurling Final in Thurles, Co. Tipperary in 1999 was one of the best atmospheres I've experienced. Cork, traditional yet down on their luck kingpins of hurling, against reigning All-Ireland Champions, Clare was the game. Cork hadn't won the Munster in 7 years, and as one of over 35,000 Cork fans there that day, I was proud to witness a shock result. Cork 1-15 (18 points) Clare 0-14 (14 points). Absolute class.
    Also, Munster v Gloucester in the European Rugby Cup this year in Limerick.
    Munster 33-6 Gloucester
    Aint revenge sweet?!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anti Celtic????

I am a Celtic fan and have been as long as i can remember and i cant understand the total anti Celtic begrudery that has been posted on these boards.
    I can understand your issue with irish fans not supporting a local side but there are thousands of Celtic fans who support an el team as well, a lot more than Man u or Pool fans i'd say.
    It also pishes me off to have to listen to Premiership and even some fellow Celtic fans spout crap about us and we, when they have never even gone to a game and have jumped on the bandwagon with a successful team.
    It has become fashionable of late to wear a celtic jersey but i and thousands like me wore them and went to games and stuck by the Celts when we were muck, when we were bankrupt with a 100 year old ground and having won only one poxy cup in 10 years.
    I believe Celtic have very important Irish connections and this should be celebrated but i know they are very much a Scottish team.
    Celtic Park is an amazing place and i invite any of you to visit it and come back with a negative comment about the experience.
    If any of you Longford town(some of you seem familar), Cork, Pats etc fans ever play the Celts in Parkhead you will get a bigger welcome than anywhere in the world.
    I was "lucky" enough to see Longford Town play in Div 1 few years ago in front of maybe 150 loyal fans, now the avg. gate is what 1500, where did the 1350 life long, "local team supporting",Bucky drinkin fans come from?? (not singling out da Town but is only one i have experience with)
    Touch of hypocrisy maybe lads??
    Just because there are few Celtic fans who chant RA songs from barstool and know nothing about football in general or what theyre singin about but are using the Club as a platform for their bigotry, dont use this as an excuse to tar us all with the same brush. I and the vast majority of Celtic fans are as passionate and loyal as any el supporter or any supporter in the world for that matter.
    Cheers and goodluck.
    Last edited by Iarmhibhoy; 15/04/2003 at 6:28 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    A lot of those Longford fans that you've mentioned have been slowly weaned off British football by the hard work of the people involved with the local side.
    I think the point that has to be made is that 10 years ago, Longford were winning on average 3-5 games per season. Manys the day i've stood in the rain and shyte, and seen Longford get hammered for the umpthteenth time that season, now dont tell me that wouldn't test the loyalty of the most ardent of any clubs fans. O.K. you stuck with Celtic when they were only winning the odd trophy, but they were probably still the second best team in their league, to compare the two is a little off i think.
    If the product is available on your door and is worth seeing and you choose not to, thats where the arguement arrises. I dont know where you'r from, but if there's an Eircom League team near you who are doing their best to attract support, and again, you choose to ignore them in favour of a team from scotland, well, i'd like to hear your reasons why.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I think maybe people feed up with the Celtic are irish thing when their irish connections are in the distant past & are pretty much like any other UK plc.

I think you touched on the other issues yourself also.

I continue to be confused by people wearing Glasgow Celtic jerseys at Ireland games. Can anyone explion it???????
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts

Re: Anti Celtic????

Originally posted by Iarmhibhoy
    If any of you Longford town(some of you seem familar), Cork, Pats etc fans ever play the Celts in Parkhead you will get a bigger welcome than anywhere in the world.
    It's the 'welcome' they'll get in the home leg that is sickening.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Muppet
    I must confess to being a fan of British football. I see myself as a Celtic and Everton fan and a City supporter, in other words City first and Celtic and Everton second. If I can get to a City game at all and either of the other two are on tv, then it's the City game I choose. When I started watching football (my family are not from Cork and my father isn't interested in sport) I never knew there was such a thing as Cork City and the club was only a year old! I couldn't stop following Evertoin and The Celts if I wanted to. There's no substitute for going to the game live though!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Know someone who says he "supports" Aston Villa but be surprised if he could name half the team. Similarily discovered an Everton "fan" this year & would say he be in similar situation naming their team.

A lot of people start off supporting a UK team when they a kid but once start going to eL games leave that behind (in terms of priority anyway) as i've done myself...
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    the problem that the league of ireland has is the same everywhere. i knew a guy from king's lynn in norfolk (east coast) who supported liverpool. king's lynn has a non league team and its nearest league team is norwich. he had a liverpool jersey, never been to any football match. he did have sky sports

i say follow as many teams as u like (man u, celtic, barca) but support yur local team

one more point. those irish fans who go to the lansdown road in celtic tops must hate it when we play scotland
    Followin Our Own Teams In Eire

theres no cure for the League of Ireland bug. spread it :)

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by yur man
    one more point. those irish fans who go to the lansdown road in celtic tops must hate it when we play scotland
    [FONT=arial][COLOR=darkred]A guy arrives on here with some reasoned and well made points and you counter it with... the above...

I, too 'supported' premiership footie and then Scottish footie and I think now that I have a local team to support, I now only 'follow' the Scottish and premiership clubs, I can't feel the same way about the telly as I do in the flansiro... I respect each clubs supporters and have great friends that are Celtic fan's but now I'm in the process of bringing one to the Bohs game...

It's a pity that when you make the effort (to bring someone to a game) and you're treated to an absolute muck game... Murphy's law innit... [/COLOR][/FONT]

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    [COLOR=red] I dont know where you'r from, but if there's an Eircom League team near you who are doing their best to attract support, and again, you choose to ignore them in favour of a team from scotland, well, i'd like to hear your reasons why.[/COLOR]

I'm from midlands and there is an el team nearby. I've been to few games and will try to go to more this season but i do this this more to support a local team than anything else.

the first ever soccer game i seen live was Celtic-Dundalk friendly and i was amazed, i fell in love with Celtic, the class football they played, the mad always singin fans and the colour and passion on display. I have had some amazing times followin celtic and could never whole heartedly commit myself to another club, it just doesnt feel the same , it lacks that X factor or something, the feeling of standing singing in Paradise with the hairs standing on the back of your neck, of feeling that you are a part of something that you have immense pride in and that you have found the team you were born to support.

I will always have respect for any really "genuine" supporters (except maybe R@~gers)maybe more so for supporters of small, unfashionable teams who often dont make it easy to be a supporter but who are loyal regardless.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    O.K. you stuck with Celtic when they were only winning the odd trophy, but they were probably still the second best team in their league, to compare the two is a little off i think.

When i started supporting the Celts we were finishing outside the top 3 of a poor ten team league generally 15 to 20 points adrift of Aberdeen/govan shlords. The club had a good history but a crap present and a very dim future, we came incredibly close to going out of business and i think we would have if not for amazing supporters and Fergus McCann.
    I often get asked (usually by pool/man u fans) who i support and when i say Celtic they invariably laugh and say something like
    " oh sure i do too but who do you really support, in THE premiership like", like you have to be either Man u or pool supporter or u know nothing bout football. Cant imagine how they smirk at el supporters but it really ****es me off.
    How much dedication does it take to follow a team thats been in or around top of league for ten years and plays the likes of Juve, Real and Munich on regular basis??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    you are a part of something that you have immense pride in and that you have found the team you were born to support.
    You are Irish, right? So how the fcuk were you born to support a SCOTTISH team???
    Champions!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Re: Anti Celtic????

I have to say first of all that i thought half through reading this, i thought it was a windup

I am a Celtic fan and have been as long as i can remember and i cant understand the total anti Celtic begrudery that has been posted on these boards.
    Get used to it ... cos it is a growing trend, not sad but true (and this is not an attack on you)

I can understand your issue with irish fans not supporting a local side
    Fair enough ... because i personally do have an issue with it.

but there are thousands of Celtic fans who support an el team as well, a lot more than Man u or Pool fans i'd say.
    And how does that make it better, seriously, do you think we should make an allowance for these fans over 'pool or manUre fans

It also pishes me off to have to listen to Premiership and even some fellow Celtic fans spout crap about us and we, when they have never even gone to a game and have jumped on the bandwagon with a successful team.
    I have to agree with you, but i am still confused though, when does it become 'us' and 'we', before or after they pick the British team out of a lucky bag.

It has become fashionable of late to wear a celtic jersey
    Thats not all mate, what is worse is that we now have Oirish fans screaming profanities at a player whom they thought was a rangers player at an international game in Landsdowne road, but they all got it wrong. Now that my friend is when 'fashion' goes horriblily wrong and we all look like fools.

but i and thousands like me wore them and went to games and stuck by the Celts when we were muck, when we were bankrupt with a 100 year old ground and having won only one poxy cup in 10 years.
    I can understand following a British team because they are good, or even a more plausible place to give your support would be a Spainish or Italian team but you admit to following Selltic when they are muck. Man, you gave yourself not favours at all. Just offer it all up at this stage man, you'll get your place in heaven yet

I believe Celtic have very important Irish connections and this should be celebrated but i know they are very much a Scottish team.
    Oh that auld chestnet, ..... if i had a yo-yo for everytime i heard that one, i'd be a great big balls of knots i tell ya. I was wondering when that one was going to come out of your sleve.
    Man .... i dont believe you about all the Oirish lark, i know, you have a lump in your throat and you are graspin' for words, yeah yeah, a real tear jerker, but none the less .... I DONT BELIEVE YOU, all this Oirish connections lark is cr@p, infact i'd tell you what ever you want to hear if you would give me €50 for a jersey. Man ... if it were anything else, you'd say you were sucked in and be done with it.

Celebrated ... thats novelle !!

Celtic Park is an amazing place and i invite any of you to visit it and come back with a negative comment about the experience.
    An invite none the less, an invite ... Chr!st, do i have to wear a suit.
    Negative comment ... Ask the local council in Glasgow for that, long list of social problems to deal with, and all over a game of ball, hard to believe isn't, sure we're only having a laugh (and who cares ... we dont actually have to live there)

If any of you Longford town (some of you seem familar), Cork, Pats etc fans ever play the Celts in Parkhead you will get a bigger welcome than anywhere in the world.
    I know .... i'll have my cheque book ready too. Buy a couple of them blow up shamrocks as a reminder or my little visit.

I was "lucky" enough to see Longford Town play in Div 1 few years ago in front of maybe 150 loyal fans, now the avg. gate is what 1500, where did the 1350 life long, "local team supporting",Bucky drinkin fans come from?? (not singling out da Town but is only one i have experience with)
    Touch of hypocrisy maybe lads??
    Hypocrisy ... it's a killer ain't it. Damned Hypocritians

Just because there are few Celtic fans who chant RA songs from barstool and know nothing about football in general or what theyre singin about but are using the Club as a platform for their bigotry, dont use this as an excuse to tar us all with the same brush.
    Too late for that mate, anyway .... they dont just sing RA songs from barstools man, you should stand outside Parkhead for a home game, fookin' bigotry whole sale man, enough for Ireland and his mother, you'd have to hear it to believe it

I and the vast majority of Celtic fans are as passionate and loyal as any el supporter or any supporter in the world for that matter.
    Cheers and goodluck.
    I hear ya .... I hear ya, passion, loyal, haggis, the works .. just cant get enough.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I HAVE A LOT OF TIME FOR CELTIC

BEING IRISH I KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR THEIR RESULTS

COME ON BELFAST CELTIC ! COME ON LURGAN CELTIC !

THE MOST IMPORTANT CELTIC - CORK CELTIC. SADLY DEPARTED.

NOT MUCH TIME FOR GLASGOW CELTIC.

OR

CELTA VIGO.

(YOU DONT GET TOO MANY IRISH PEOPLE EXPRESSING THEIR NATIONALITY THROUGH SUPPORTING VIGO. HMMM, I WONDER WHY THAT IS?)

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    ................. Aberdeen/govan shlords.........
    Aberdeen who?

Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast