Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Delay Start of Season for 1 if not 2 Weeks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Delay Start of Season for 1 if not 2 Weeks

Lads, what about this weather...? I know that people will think that there is some selfish reason behind what i am proposing,there is, dont want grounds destroyed for season, but i think that the season should be postponed for 1 if not 2 weeks.
    I walked my clubs (boro) pitch last evening, not the wettest pitch, and the surface water and softness of the pitch was worse than in the middle of Jan' (four huge surface puddles and feet markes on ground). At the moment boro only have 1 pitch, drainage works being carried out on other(ironic). council have fixed 4 matches from sat to next friday.. I imagine most clubs who dont have sand based pitches are in the same situ'. If these fixtures go ahead the pitches will be out for weeks after. the forecast for fri & sat is ****e..How about a little common sense for once... read on div1a thread that rathurd got hammered last night , imagine that on every clubs pitch in the 1st week of the season..

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by leather View Post
    Lads, what about this weather...? I know that people will think that there is some selfish reason behind what i am proposing,there is, dont want grounds destroyed for season, but i think that the season should be postponed for 1 if not 2 weeks.
    I walked my clubs (boro) pitch last evening, not the wettest pitch, and the surface water and softness of the pitch was worse than in the middle of Jan' (four huge surface puddles and feet markes on ground). At the moment boro only have 1 pitch, drainage works being carried out on other(ironic). council have fixed 4 matches from sat to next friday.. I imagine most clubs who dont have sand based pitches are in the same situ'. If these fixtures go ahead the pitches will be out for weeks after. the forecast for fri & sat is ****e..How about a little common sense for once... read on div1a thread that rathurd got hammered last night , imagine that on every clubs pitch in the 1st week of the season..

what about the teams who only has to play one match a week at home i dont think the likes of pike regional balla granville wembley summerville ulaa fairview corbally would agree to that because boro have a packed fixture list at home. IMO

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    all the clubs that you have listed have u/17, youths a & b teams, so they would be in the same situation. most of the teams you have listed also have schoolboys aswell...very few clubs are in the situ of 1 team for 1 pitch. boro have 2 youth matches 1 premier and 1 b match fixed, 3 of these are on tues,wed & fri of next week... no pitch in ireland would take that punishment in this weather... you cant even cut a pitch at the moment, a little common sense is all that is required...

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    all the clubs that you have listed have u/17, youths a & b teams, so they would be in the same situation. most of the teams you have listed also have schoolboys aswell...very few clubs are in the situ of 1 team for 1 pitch. boro have 2 youth matches 1 premier and 1 b match fixed, 3 of these are on tues,wed & fri of next week... no pitch in ireland would take that punishment in this weather... you cant even cut a pitch at the moment, a little common sense is all that is required...
    The problem here leather is that common sense suggestions and the LDMC don't normally go hand in hand. I agree with your suggestion but there's no guarantee that the weather is going to get any better. In the meantime what would teams do to keep up their fitness? Obviously the LDMC would not sanction any friendlies.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts

pike regional ulaa fairview wembley balla (LIT & BATEMAN) granville all have two fields one premier field and one pitch for there b teams minors and so on. most clubs dont care about calling off games from there B teams and minors as long as there premier field is ok

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas72 View Post
    pike regional ulaa fairview wembley balla (LIT & BATEMAN) granville all have two fields one premier field and one pitch for there b teams minors and so on. most clubs dont care about calling off games from there B teams and minors as long as there premier field is ok
    Regional's pitch is undergoing work so they will be playing their home games at the Cement factory in Mungret for this season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas72 View Post
    more too football than "Premier"

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Our A and B teams both have away games this weekend but then down to play wednesday and thursday night at home. If it keeps raining the pitch could well be wrecked if both games are played.

Just as bad is if a friendly we have tonight is called off. Had another friendly cancelled on tuesday night so that would leave very little match practice before the league starts.

I wouldnt mind a weeks delay to the league but will the weather get any better?
    18 times, and that's a fact.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    just a quick question because of all the rain have clubs being able to cut the grass on pitches?

FORMERLY: shannonman Lev Yashin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    i was training tuesday night on our "second" pitch, which is where we were going to play the start of the season (we start with two home games) and there isn't a hope of playing a match up there we train behind the pitch and even then we are lucky to get an area to train on. i think putting the season back a week or two is a good idea. but with it being thursday now and nothing has been said about it, it might be too late.
    My Goal Is To Deny Yours...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shannonman View Post
    i was training tuesday night on our "second" pitch, which is where we were going to play the start of the season (we start with two home games) and there isn't a hope of playing a match up there we train behind the pitch and even then we are lucky to get an area to train on. i think putting the season back a week or two is a good idea. but with it being thursday now and nothing has been said about it, it might be too late.
    A lot if not all youths matchs were posponed in the Desmond League Tuesday night because of the rain and fear of ruining the pitches, and here we are in August

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Shelbourne park was waterlogged on Tuesday night and the LPYMA hasn't been cut in weeks. Cant see our game taking place on Saturday night.

So much for summer soccer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ShelsLimerick View Post
    Shelbourne park was waterlogged on Tuesday night and the LPYMA hasn't been cut in weeks. Cant see our game taking place on Saturday night.

So much for summer soccer.
    We'll have to go the Spartak Moscow root with their plastic pitch

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Be careful what we wish for...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts

Talking Dose it not rain in September

Dose it not rain in September,thats great we can put the Fai back a few weeks and if we get a run in it you can be playin it again in May like last season,no thanks we have showers and we dont mind the rain.
    Their's only one Dinny Pop's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Of course it rains in sept... it raining in every calender month in this country but you do not usually get 2 months rain in 1 week as has been the case for nearly everyone of the past 6 weeks.. matches will be like mud wrestling if this goes ahead... as you all have internet access try looking up long range forecasts.. one i looked at this morning shows an improvement (hopefully) after next thursday. wont it be nice to have showers but possibly no pitches to play matches on..
    Last edited by the 12 th man; 16/08/2007 at 3:11 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts

Cool well,,,,,,,,,

well,,,,,,,,,,,,we have an all weather we can play on that,no seriously,the weather in this country is crap,it aint goin to change (no pun intended).Playin in bad weather is as much a part of junior football as bad refs,we just have to put up with them both and do the best we can.Dont get me wrong but did you ever play a game against a way better side and you beat them because they did'nt like playin in the muck.See what I mean,Its just all part of the game.
    Their's only one Dinny Pop's.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by littleman View Post
    well,,,,,,,,,,,,we have an all weather we can play on that,no seriously,the weather in this country is crap,it aint goin to change (no pun intended).Playin in bad weather is as much a part of junior football as bad refs,we just have to put up with them both and do the best we can.Dont get me wrong but did you ever play a game against a way better side and you beat them because they did'nt like playin in the muck.See what I mean,Its just all part of the game.
    Its not just bad pitches, its the water lying on the surface thats the problem. It can be very dangerous to play games in those conditions. Especially when the grass is also long as it hasn't been cut in a few weeks. I'd rather delay the start for a week or two than have someone break their leg and be out for the season.

Lots of teams have bad pitches no matter what the weather is like.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ShelsLimerick View Post
    Its not just bad pitches, its the water lying on the surface thats the problem. It can be very dangerous to play games in those conditions. Especially when the grass is also long as it hasn't been cut in a few weeks. I'd rather delay the start for a week or two than have someone break their leg and be out for the season.

Lots of teams have bad pitches no matter what the weather is like.
    Im sure though if the pitches are that bad that the ref will call the match off due to the pitch. At this stage I think games will all be on and the ref will decide on the day if the pitch is playable or not.